Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrittman

Stage Curtain Opening

Hey guys I'm putting together a very short animation of a stage curtain opening. I looked on iStockPhoto with intentions to purchase one that was already made but I figured with the prices they're asking, I might be able to just do it myself. This is pretty much what I'm going for:

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-video-2237810-hd-wipe.php

If anyone has any insight as to how I might go about this or where I might be able to find a good tutorial to help me out, I would highly appreciate it!

Thank you!

Matt

Guest Boxloy

You could do something similar in After Effects with the "curtain" preset and a few solid layers.

Yeah I actually tried something with that preset but you can't really do much with it. It's just a cloth that animates through the wrinkles. I wanted to make it fold as it's opening for a little more realism.

I made also exactly that for a project a month or two ago.

You can make it out of cloth objects which are belted to cubes which you then animate to create the opening and closing.

To make the cloth shape I created a wavy spline and then extruded it with enough subdivisions to make a nice mesh for the cloth system and gave it a cloth tag.

To do the folding opening you just need to use more cubes connected to the cloth using more belt tags and then set up a slider with expresso and range mappers to get them to concertina.

Morph

EDIT: At the time I only had about half an hour to put it together and render so it's a little rough, but here it is.

A little rough?...looks pretty good to me morph sc018.gif

i've just been playing about for 30 mins trying to make a setup and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours.

I'm tempted to try and make a proper track set up as well....but that would distract me too much from real work

mala

Oh nice! Thanks morpheus! I have never used the belt tag before unfortunately. I figured you could just animate the points but it doesn't work so well haha. I'll fiddle around with the whole belt thing...

There are some tricky things with a proper track setup as you can setup a slider with rangemappers, but that will only work in one direction. You would need a completely different set to make the track open the other way.

I remember a year ago I think trying to make an autosetp with some expresso help from the cafe, don't think I ever managed to solve a completely auto setup.

Maybe it's time to look at it again. I have my first evening off in a while, I am gonna look and see if a constraint setup might work instead. My original one I remember was a setup that I was trying to get to work on a circular rail which complicated things a little bit wink.gif

Morph

EDIT: Just shout out if you run into an problems with belt tag setup!

Yay! My constraint idea works.

In this movie only the cube on the far right is animated. All the rest of them follow by using CDConstraints and some expresso which is clamping the cubes in the Y and Z directions.

Now to try adding cloth to it.

Morph wink.gif

Dude, that's awesome! How in the world did you set that up!? I hate to ask but is there any way you could throw up a scene file?

You need CDTools in order for this particular setup to work. Don't know if there is a Mocca equivalent of the distance constraint. It could be done the same I am sure with some complicated-ish expresso.

I am just simulating it with some cloth at the min though.

Morph