Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrittman

Stage Curtain Opening

Author of the topic Posted

Oh you need CDTools... Hmmm wonder if Mocca could do something like that. So if you have say 16 cubes to work as belts, do you have to give the cloth 16 belt tags? That's how I've got it set up right now and it seems to work that way...a little tedious but whatever. I don't know how to get the nice animation of the cubes moving and so I'm animating them all separate haha. I noticed the cloth gets all tangled up when I press play though...is there any way around this or?

Here is is with some cloth.

Your cloth may be getting tangled up for a number of reasons. I have some intersecting in my simulation because I am trying to move the cloth too fast. You have to think of things in terms of real world physics when it comes to simulation.

Make sure you have self collision enabled in the expert tab of the cloth tag to prevent intersections.

Morph

Dude, yours looks amazing...mine looks terrible :(

Is there any chance you could put together a real quick video tutorial of the steps you went through to get it to look so nice? I will get CDTools so that I can simulate the right curtain movement...

Here's what I came up with...pretty bad as I wasn't sure how to go about the whole constraint thing.

http://www.mattrittman.com/files/curtains.mov

Very nice Morph sc018.gif ..Thats pretty much what i had in mind....what about throwing some 'Align to spline' goodness in there as well? then you could have curved tracks...then some wheels,and of course the steels/hemps running it all....should be easy! roflmao.gif

Well this looks a little better but still think it could be improved. The geometry seems to do some weird sporadic movements.

http://www.mattrittman.com/files/curtains2.mov

I've been playing with the constrain tag in Mocca to make the cubes move like Morpheus did but it didn't behave like the example. I used the clamp function. Does anybody know how to make the same example in Mocca like the one Morpheus posted? I'm only interested in the constrain part, not the cloth part.

The constraint I used was the distance contraint in CDTools which can have an upper and lower clamp at the same time. This might not be something that Mocca constraints can do without some extra expresso.

I am sure Dan will chime in at some point to confirm, but I suspect that this is one of those things that only his constraints can do out of the box. One of the reasons why his plugins are so good.

That last cloth movie is looking great mrittman. What sort of settings are you using for your cloth. It might be a case of upping your stiffness settings a bit and you should take down the rubber and bounce settings. I always find when simulating heavy cloth materials like a classic stage curtain it's useful to turn the global drag setting up a little bit. It helps to sell the larger scale of those type of cloths.

Morph

I did some playing with this, and got a better result with low stiffness, low flexion, no bounce and low friction. Thickness at about 1.5 under cloth nurbs and a mass of 4.

I get some odd behaviour at the fixed side of the curtain, too, but with settings above it settles more naturally.

Steve