Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morpheus

Motion Tracking

• Topic Author
  • So I really want to get on with some proper motion and camera tracking.

I am a single designer so can't afford the really pricy ones and I am also on a mac which means some of the free ones aren't usable.

What are my options from what people might have used before?

I don't need to track any sort of HD sources quite yet, so it doesn't have to be as high end as that.

Cheers for some advice.

Morph

Guest Joshfilms

Motion tracking or 3D tracking?

For 3D tracking SynthEyes is by far the best bang for the buck. For 2D tracking AE CS4 with Mocha AE will do just fine. If you don't have AE then you can get the standalone version of Mocha.

-Josh

• Topic Author
  • Yeah, I meant 3D tracking so I can put C4D objects into scenes and track stuff to people in 3D.

I will have a look at syntheyes and see what prices we are talking.

I don't have CS4 myself yet, but have used it at some studios before. It's on my "to buy" almost right at the top along with Mograph.

Morph

EDIT: Well $400 don't sound too bad. I am going to get the trial and play over xmas. Yay.

Thanks for the advice Josh.

Now I just need to make some 3D models for the Jedi powers to begin.

I have wanted to try some motion tracking with DPIT Effex too to see what flame effects I can get out of my hands etc...

Guest Joshfilms

Yeah, SynthEyes is a great deal it's a industry standard app. When I get some time I'll be tracking in some T4D simulations into live footage.

-Josh

• Topic Author
  • Kewl.

I have been wanting to see if I can recreate the kind of smoke in that dome headed guy from Hellboy 2. Tracking would help me put it into a shot of some kind.

Morph

EDIT: Well the 64bit disc image of the demo won't mount. I sent a query to support and am now trying the 32bit version to see if that works. Bah....Humbug!

EDIT2: Nope, the 32bit version won't mount either. I hope it aint a Snow Leopard thing...

Guest Joshfilms

Hmm that's weird it works fine on snow leopard at work and works fine on Windows 7 at my house. I'm sure he will solve your problem.

=Josh

For simple tracking I found PFHoe to be brilliant.

I dont think it would be any good for tracking things to people though.

But for 50 quid its lots of fun

• Topic Author
  • What is the best kind of video type to use with Syntheyes Josh?

I've made myself a plate to track, but obviously there are tonnes of different codecs, etc... out there. I am going to try with quicktime which I am sure will work, but what do you usually use?

Morph

Guest Joshfilms

I find Tiff sequences seem to be the best and they will run faster than a qt movie much like C4D.

-Josh

• Topic Author
  • Kewl.

Annoyingly the Syntheyes demo doesn't let me try any exporting from it to get something into Cinema so I have no idea how that part of it works or how hard it is. I would have preffered a limited trial instead of a longer one with no ability to export.

I don't see a cinema option in the export menu either. Which export option will work with Cinema?

Morph

Guest Joshfilms

Export a Lightwave file.

• Topic Author
  • Can c4d open lightwave files? I didn't know that.

Sweet.

All I can do at the moment is learn the tracking part of syntheyes and then hopefully I will get a project early next year that will give me the excuse to actually buy the full version.

Cheers Josh.

Morph