Planet X Generator - New Plugin by Ember in the Rain

Guest shawnfoster

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shawnfoster

The mac build has been made and is being tested. Thanks to kvb for the help on this one. I will let everyone know when it is available to purchase.

~Shawn

All,

If you have every struggled with making the earth, particularly the atmosphere, clouds and associated fresnel effects, then you will definitely appreciate this plugin. On top of that, Shawn has tossed in day-to-night effects (e.g. cities at night), the sun and pretty much all the planets too boot. The plugin is also very easy to use. Best of all, it is easily extendable by the user and does not lock you into the presets. You can mix and match atmospheres for some neat effects (e.g. if you want the earth to look a little polluted try using Jupitor's atmosphere instead) and even combine it with additional shaders (e.g. to give your cloud maps and added sense of depth, use the H2N shader in the normal channel on the cloud maps to fake some self-shadowing in the clouds).

Overall, this is a handy little tool that takes a great deal of pain out of making "the world a better place"!! (sorry....bad pun, but I couldn't resist).

Thanks,

3D-Pangel

P.S. This weekend, I will be redoing some of the earth images in my gallery (I have always hated the earth that I created) and post some new images made with this plugin....stay tuned for the before and after shots.

Guest shawnfoster

Thanks for the kind words Dave, I am glad that you like the plugin. I should have all the different versions ready this week. (e.g 64 bit WINDOWS, and mac 32/64bit.. ) Just found out I have a snow day today WOO HOO! so I will be working to get a lot done today.

Thanks again!

~Shawn

Guest shawnfoster

I just added the User Manual for the Planet X Generator to the downloads section at www.emberintherain.com You will find it under the Online Documentation category. Anyone who has an account over there can download it. You do not have to have purchased the plugin to download it. smile.gif

~Shawn

Guest shawnfoster

Well I have some bad news for the 10.5 users out there. The C4D SDK changed between the 10 version and the 11 version. Some of the things I use in the planet generator are not available in the 10.5 SDK so unfortunately this plugin will only be available for 11 or higher.

Sorry to those who were looking forward to the 10.5 version.

~Shawn

Guest shawnfoster

The MAC OS X version of the Planet X Generator is now available. It is for both 32 and 64 Bit. While testing the Mac version, we noticed that the High Res (20000 x 10000) earth image causes the 32 bit version to either lag or stop working. I am looking in to this problem and if people feel that this is a huge issue I will remove the High Res from the presets and just make it available in the presets folder. This does not happen on the WINDOWS version. And it does not happen for the 64 bit MAC OS X version. It will also depend on the on speed of your computer. Those with newer computers shouldn't have a problem but please let me know if you do.

So for the time being, test out if the High Res image crashes your copy. If so, I would recommend using the 64bit version until I can find a suitable way to solve this problem without taking away from the option of using that image.

You can find the MAC version HERE.

Please use the support forums for any support you need and also remember that you can find the user manual in the downloads section at www.emberintherain.com

Thanks everyone.

~Shawn

Well I have some bad news for the 10.5 users out there. The C4D SDK changed between the 10 version and the 11 version. Some of the things I use in the planet generator are not available in the 10.5 SDK so unfortunately this plugin will only be available for 11 or higher.

Sorry to those who were looking forward to the 10.5 version.

~Shawn

It is a sad day. Good bye... cruel world.

Guest shawnfoster

I am going to disable the Mac version from the shop for a couple days to work out an issue that has come up. I don't want people purchasing a version that has reported problems. I will fix the issues that have been brought to my attention and reupload the new mac build ASAP.

So far there have been no problems with the WINDOWS version.

Thanks for understanding. smile.gif

~Shawn

Archived