Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rick Bruce

Quadularity and Texturing Problems?

Very good tutorial here that explains this kind of thing clearly.

The others on that site are well worth a look too, a few more here.

My 2 cents on high/low poly - keeping the mesh lighter makes it easier to rig, UV map, and will be more responsive when animating. Sure there's no need to keep it ultra low like an old game model but it always helps to make the meshes as efficient as possible.

Subdivision smoothing (Hypernurbs in C4D) will then smooth out things for the render.

Cheers,

Brian

note the video didnt cover when the entire face is triangles I want you to look at this face. and tell me you know what the topology is. in my opinion low poly is a joy. and very time saving but know you can make something out of all triangles and it will be just as balanced as all quads

http://bleed.110mb.com/fatface.html

Guest dataflow

it might be made of all tri's but i bet its not smoothed.

no one has said you cant have a model which are all tri's.

but try and put it under a HN and see what happens.

so your going to disbelieve your eyes, its pretty obvious its smooth. here is one more

http://bleed.110mb.com/naomifronthair.html

Guest dataflow

im sorry i have eyes.

its not smooth and if you think it is then we both have different definitions of smooth.

the face might be but that has no detail so its not going to get artifacts

The hair deforms fairly poorly in that example, Tyree, snapping and jumping. And the face is completely static, so it's hard to tell what's being 'proved'. Let's see an all-triangle smile, a yawn, and a frown.

• Topic Author
  • That Guerrilla.org site is cool with some great basics videos, so thank you Brian. I liked the hand example which I even mentioned here about decreasing complexity, and the video offers the genius technique of looping complex areas back into each other. I studied the Meg sample hand but I had not thought about it as looping areas back into each other. The video explains more about surface artifacts resulting from triangles/ngons but did not cover shading problems, unless that is what was meant by that comment here about shading problems. One thing is certain is that if you can maintain all quads it is best, but it appears so far to me that you can get away with some triangles/ngons, but I might find later... The problem for me is that I have not learned a better way to decrease complexity, or getting rid of rows of quads or edges without an ngon or triangle, but I will consider the looping in my future planning.

As far as the smoothness I would offer try the sample blue face I attached here with only triangles or without a HN. Not likely, but I do have an ngon in plain site on the nose and you cannot see it in this surface test. I thought the trouble had more to do with bitmap textures getting distorted.

post-28338-12689306048_thumb.jpg

post-28338-126893061238_thumb.jpg

to dataflow I wasnt referring to the body just the face, to hulaboy its moving right thats bones being driven by physics. you would be hard pressed finding someone else that knows how to do it. or where to start, and I have complete control over it. when it comes to rigging, skinning, and animation your dealing with another level. when your dealing with me. you wont be telling me anything, thinking its going to fly. the majority of what I do is made for engines which is harder than video. I dont have time to animate the face right now but Ill get to it.

Tyree, please consider your tone a bit more carefully when making posts on the Cafe. Your latest comment reads as arrogant and rude to me, as did some of your earlier posts on this topic.

Nobody knows everything there is to know about 3d, and smart people are always aware of how much they don't know.

Just try and keep things polite and friendly or I'll have to shut down this topic.

Cheers,

Brian

... to hulaboy its moving right thats bones being driven by physics. you would be hard pressed finding someone else that knows how to do it. or where to start, and I have complete control over it. when it comes to rigging, skinning, and animation your dealing with another level. when your dealing with me. you wont be telling me anything, thinking its going to fly.

Ah, OK. I stand corrected. Completely. Thanks for setting me straight.

Guest scorn

There has been some serious attitudes bounding about this place recently, lets hope its not a sign of the future.