Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest designbytes

Stick texture.....not sure I understand

Guest designbytes
  • Topic Author
  • so I am participating in the egg race contest....and I think I have reached my brain limit on stick texture tag and how it is supposed to work.

my egg is split down the middle, symmetry object as child of hypernurbs.(/hypernurbs/symmetry/symmetryobjects null/racer-poly-object) I started to add my racing decals (flat projection) and am having trouble getting them on both sides in certain instances *or* it distorts the textures along the center line of the model

I've tried the record and reset buttons in various orders to no avail....

any ideas?

thx in advance!

post-10744-126919043763_thumb.jpg

You only use the Stick Texture tag when the object / mesh is going to deformed / animated and the texture mapping mode is something other than UVW.

How are you applying the materials where the distortion occurs? Sounds like you're using BP. Try changing the hypernurbs sub-divide type to boundary or edge. Alternatively use flat mapping for the decals (alpha channel required).

3DKiwi

Guest designbytes
  • Topic Author
  • no, I am not using body paint...they are all flat projections with alpha channels

I was trying to figure out to "decal" both sides without having to doing each one twice....

everything was going along fine until I tried to apply the egg "splash" on the front and rear wheel cowling...and I couldn't get them to show up on the symmetry side. when I added the stick texture tag, they showed up...but then distorted the decals along the top.

I read the help and this sort of led in the direction I took...obviously, not quite right"

"The Stick Texture tag has an interesting side-effect: If you make a Polygon object a child of a Symmetry object and texture one half, the texture will be mirrored to the other side automatically. This enables you to, say, paint half a face, project it using flat mapping and let CINEMA 4D take care of the other half. If you want to be able to texture each sides independently, put the Texture tag onto the Symmetry object.

If you assign a Stick Texture tag to a texture that uses Flat mapping with Side set to Front, the Front information will be lost and the texture will be mapped to both sides of the object."

on a side note, this really doesn't work either for "lettered" decals as the lettering doesn't read correctly on the "symmetry side"...is there a trick to get that correct?

thx again

Guest designbytes
  • Topic Author
  • it looks like cubic projection works better for decals with words/letters....projects to the other side so words read in correct order...not mirrored...

Using flat projection you'll need to use the texture axis tool to move, scale and rotate the projection. You should be able to orientate the decal to work in most situations. You might find using a selection tag combined with this works better rather than using front and back.

3DKiwi

Guest designbytes
  • Topic Author
  • yes, I was using selection tags for everything.....

I think I have the lettered decals straight...still can't figure out why the cowling splash decal does not xfer to the other side during symmetry operation....only works when I apply a stick texture tag...may have to do those individually

even stripped the model down to a single polygon object and just those two textures....

post-10744-126922500992_thumb.jpg