Sign in to follow this  
srek

Warning QT 7.6.6 on OS X 10.5 breaks texture import

Hi all,

a warning to all users of OS X 10.5, the latest update to Quicktime (7.6.6) will break texture import of movies into CINEM 4D. QT 7.6.5 will work.

At this time i can't say if and when MAXON can create a fix for this.

Cheers

Bjorn

Guest delrazor

Does this also break the use of movies as a texture, period? i.e. a project that already has the textures imported and ready to go? for that matter, NET Render?

Thanks for the heads-up, Bjorn!

• Topic Author
  • QT simply does not work with movies in textures anymore. If you rely in any way of using mov files in materials and you use OS X 10.5 than DON'T upgrade to QT 7.6.6

Cheers

Bjorn

Guest cgface

I can't see how MAXON could get away without fixing it, because an awful lot of people rely on this method to create 3d with c4d to composite in post. I've tried other video formats like .avi and this doesn't seem to work either.

Does anybody know an alternative? I don't think you can actually downgrade to a lower version of QT, if you've already upgraded -

Thanks

James.

• Topic Author
  • MAXON can "get away with it" because it's a Quicktime problem and chances are only Apple can fix it. Maybe next time ask if the ones who caused the problem "get away with it".

MAXON is actualy spending quite a lot of manpower working around the bugs of other software and Apple does not have a realy good track record here.

Use single frames instead and you won't have a problem, it's faster anyway.

Bjorn

Guest cgface

Hi Srek, thanks for the reply. Perhaps 'get away with it' is the wrong phrase to use, but I can't really see myself how it is a quicktime problem (of course quicktime has caused the problem) but surely it's in maxons interest that it supports the latest version of quicktime? Maybe you know more about this than me. You're right, it won't matter to Apple that quicktime no longer works with c4d. Anyway let's hope they can fix it.

Is there a way, then of loading an image sequence onto a material?

Thanks,

James.

Guest cgface

Hi again, figured out how to import an image sequence to the material - so its working now. Just wish I would have seen your quicktime warning 3 days ago! Anyway -

Thanks again for the tip.

James.

• Topic Author
  • Hi Srek, thanks for the reply. Perhaps 'get away with it' is the wrong phrase to use, but I can't really see myself how it is a quicktime problem (of course quicktime has caused the problem) but surely it's in maxons interest that it supports the latest version of quicktime? Maybe you know more about this than me. You're right, it won't matter to Apple that quicktime no longer works with c4d. Anyway let's hope they can fix it.

So quicktime having a problem isn't a problem of Apple? Over all it's a problem for the user and your thanks for the problem should go to Apple instead of blaming MAXON.

If CINEMA 4D uses a function of QT and suddenly this function stops working, regardless of how big the interest of MAXON is, it will not fix that broken function. Chances are we will have to do without that funciton until it is beeing fixed by Apple. Currently MAXON developers are trying to pinpoint the exact problem to tell Apple what to fix. I don't know how many times this happened in the past, but it was pretty often and given that Apple is neglecting QT 7 development in favour of the inferior QT X i wouldn't bet a penny that this will be fixed.

Chances are that untold hours of MAXON development time will find a workaround (like so many times in the past), but don't expect me to say thanks for crappy Apple QA & development. Keep in mind that their current focus is definitly on iPhone, iPad etc. so it's no surprise they drop the ball in other places when the focus is on making money not on customer care.

Bjorn

Edited by srek

Guest cgface

Basically I am agreeing with you. Im not blaming MAXON for this problem, I know quicktime/apple are to blame, I'm saying basically that apple have given MAXON the problem, and now you're saying that MAXON are trying to pin point the problem to tell apple what to fix. I didn't know that, I do now. Thanks for letting me know. I feel like I've upset you. I would like to further explain that what I meant by 'MAXON can't get away with it' is that they could not just sit by and do nothing, and it sounds to me from what you have said that they are not just doing nothing, they are trying to sort it out because it is in their user's interest to get it working.

James.

• Topic Author
  • Yes, sorry, this worked me up a bit more than justified. It's just that over time i developed a bit of an alergic reaction to this kind of stuff. Most users never see what kind of work we here at MAXON have to do to work around the problems of other software/hardware.

Cheers

Bjorn

Guest cgface

I didn't mean to work you up and I'm sorry for that, I could have worded my comments more carefully. I didn't realize you work for MAXON. It's understandable how you must feel when you have to backtrack to fix problems caused by other software, when the time/resources could be spent developing the software further...luckily for us users MAXON has the foresight to provide alternatives like loading in an image sequence like you mentioned. Thanks for all your explanations and sorry once again -

James.