Sign in to follow this  
srek

Warning QT 7.6.6 on OS X 10.5 breaks texture import

Guest birdhaus

Ugh! Im in the middle of a project that is using dozens of HD quicktimes. I did not intentionally upgrade as I'm always skeptical of QT, but I ran the software update without disabling quicktime. That was a blunder I'll not forget. I wish I'd have known about this earlier. I guess converting to sequences is the only way to go for now. I'm gonna go put my ipod in a blender. http://www.blendtec.com/willitblend/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=ipod

Cheers

Guest Nekoh

I don't know if this is any help but while Googling I found that people were using pacifist to get older versions of QT installed. Maybe this might help some of the people who upgraded accidently.

Pacifist 2.6.4 is a shareware application that opens Mac OS X .pkg package files, .dmg disk images, and .zip, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, and .xar file archives and allows you to extract individual files and folders out of them. This is useful, for instance, if an application which is installed by the operating system becomes damaged and needs to be reinstalled without the hassle of reinstalling all of Mac OS X. Pacifist is also able to verify existing installations and find missing or altered files*, and Pacifist can also examine the kernel extensions installed in your system to let you see what installer installed them, and whether the installer was made by Apple or a third-party.

Pacifist

According to apple you can go back to an older version of quicktime. This is for people who bought QTpro liscense mostly and accidently upgraded. A search of the apple website should find the older versions. Or email support. I use QTpro to convert mp4's from my camera to mov files for matchmove and to use as textures. It converts to image sequence also, these work best when doing net render anyway.

Guest chasgertner

New here, and trying to resolve this issue without downgrading QT as there are numerous other apps we rely on that are tied to newer versions of QT and are working fine. Can anyone at MAXON comment specifically as to what aspect of QT 7.6.6 is preventing its use in Picture viewer or as a texture? Maybe there is a tweak for QT that can resolve this?

I see QuickTime 7.6.9 has been posted for Mac. Any word if this problem has been addressed? I went back down to 7.6.4 but would love to be up-to-date.

Edited by BigAl3D

The Apple site lists QT 7.6.9 as being from December 7, which of course is Pearl Harbor Day but I digress.

I've been avoiding hitting the update button for a while hoping they'd fix this issue, but this is the first time I've seen 7.6.9 mentioned, at lease for Leopard.

Seems it's mostly referring to "maliciously crafted JP2 images"... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4447

OK, I think I have good news on this front. I let my Mac OS 10.5.8 system at home run the latest updates. I now have QuickTime 7.6.9 and am running C4D in 64 bit mode. I just tried using a QuickTime movie as a texture and it now works! I tried a files using different codecs: Animation + alpha, a flat h.264 and PhotoJPEG codec and all worked perfectly!

Can someone confirm that this now works on Snow Leopard as well? I'd like to upgrade but didn't want the hassle of breaking this feature again since I use it often.

Thanks.