Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bleepurchin

Reverse dynamics

• Topic Author
  • Hi there,

I've just built a space invader out of blocks using paths from illustrator and then applying an extrude nurbs in C4D.

I'm using Mograph dynamics to make the space invader crumble into a pile of bricks. However what I really want is for this pile of bricks to magically form the object as though a magnet pulled them together - so dynamtics in reverse. How is this possible in real time?

I have a Mograph Cache Tag and would think it possible using that... but cant seem to find an option...

I also cant achieve this in After Effects by reversing the footage as its one element of a scene which needs to be moving forward.

(sorry for the lack of a scene image - I'm not at my C4D computer)

Cheers,

Luke.

EDIT: Whoops, I lied. What I would have suggested won't work.

Let's see...

Take a look at this: http://www.3dworldma...s_for_3d_world3

You could try object buffer for the reverse objects and do that in AE.

Maybe even ditch mograph altogether and try Thinking Particles instead?(I'm thinking attractors, gravity, spline control etc.)

Guest dataflow

take a look at the "Dynamic transition" setting on the "Rigid Body" tag

you basically key the dynamic on and off at the frame you want it to reverse.

with the "Dynamic Transition" setting enabled and set to the same frame that the Dynamics was turned off.

have a look at the "Dynamic Transition" video on this page

http://www.MAXON.net/en/products/new/mograph-2/modynamics.html

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys.

Oj, that was a very useful tutorial but the reversing of the dynamics was achieved in After Effects which isn't helpful to my scene which has elements which do not require reversing.

All those dynamic tips on the MAXON website were great Dataflow and the one you pointed out was what I needed so thank you very much for that pointer.

Ok, so I now I want to take this further... maybe you guys can help?

Imagine a hand full of sugar lumps being scattered lightly across a table...then imagine that these sugar lumps rise up from the table and a-line to form the space invader.

How do I achieve this? If these cubes were already on the table, no problem, I just use the effect you've already shown me through the dynamic transition tutorial. But how do I merge one dynamic animation into another?

There must be instances where the use of more than one dynamic is needed on an object right?

Cheers, looking forward to your thoughts! :)

Luke.

Great link, dataflow. This option is so igeniously well hidden in plain sight that I didn't even think about it! smile.gif

Luke, I think that with the dynamic transition you can accomplish exactly what you're looking for.

IE. Use the MoGraph cloner to spread the particles over an invisible object, the one you want to create in the end, then spread them with the dynamics using whatever methods you need and then just key the dynamics transition as shown it the clip dataflow mentioned.

I'm thinking you'll get pretty close, and pretty much perfect with a little bit of brainwork and tweaking.

When you're done, do tell how you got it working for your project.

• Topic Author
  • Well OJ, like i said, I don't think its as simple as that. I need my first action to be a dynamic would involves the cubes being thrown into the scene, then after resting where they fall I need them to form the space invader shape... you cant do that with one tag can you?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you though.... I wasnt going to use particles for this... is that what I should be using? You mean using a matrix?

I dont suppose you can put a quick scene together so I can see what components you mean? beg.gif

Cheers,

Luke.

I mean...

Oh well, suppose I have nothing better to do...

Hang on minute.

• Topic Author
  • Hi Oj,

How did you get on? Any luck?

Cheers bud,

Luke.

Yeah, I got some things working, two different splines, one that crashes first to the table, then the one that's formed from the same particles.

But then RealFlow crashed my computer with a couple of tiny drops of water that didn't hit the kill switch... And it was 4 AM anyway so I called it a day. smile.gif

I'll get back to you today when I have a good moment to do the recovery stuff and so on. I'll post what I did later.

• Topic Author
  • oh sh** sorry to hear about the real flow issue... when will they develope more stable technology with these things!

Looking forward to seeing what you've done with the dynamics... all this has got to be comped into a live action sequence in the end and that's a first for me! Going to be using Boujou for the tracking... another first.

thanks again,

Luke.

Yeah, well you know, that's not really a stability problem, it was my fault since I didn't make my kill volume box "watertight" enough ;)

And of course the program thinks I want to keep tracking the dynamics for that one or two drops and I didn't notice that they we're still calculating and my comp's not too hot after frying the processors that I had doing renders and calculating AND boom.

I'm not at home right now, but I'll tackle the spline stuff once I get back. Say 4-5 hours?

So you're using Boujou for the final tracking?

• Topic Author
  • Well I'm going to be shooting my footage next week and I'll be puting it through Boujou to get the tracking information before bringing an export into C4D for the 3D elements. I hope it runs smoothly but I'm sure there will be issues along the way!

cheers,

L.