Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bleepurchin

Reverse dynamics

OK, got it working.

You can use any object for this, but I use the splines since it's easy and clear.

Check the scene. Open in Cinema and press play, the camera should be selected.

Need a tutorial on the animating part?

• Topic Author
  • Thanks OJ,

Looks clear enough.

However, I need to have a bunch of cubes form this shape after they've hit the floor (the starting shape doesnt matter as it will be off screen)... what should I use instead of the splines you have used to fix the cubes to at the end? How do I get them to form tightly - exaclty like this image?

I've attached my project file for you to have a play with. I've just been having a play with a couple shader effectors to get some movement in the cubes after they have formed this shape.

Cheers pal, You're being a great help!

Luke.

Yeah, no problem, man, it's a great learning experience to solve these things also. smile.gif

Glad I can help.

I'll take a look at your file, hang on.

I found some other ways to play with the morphing stuff, that doesn't necessarily require you to use the dynamic transition option. I'll show you later.

When do you need the pieces to form up?

In the scene the cubes do their thing, but is this after they've been arranged from the floor?

And why not use primitive cubes for this? It might make things a bit more manageable in the object manager.

I'm trying to get a picture of when the forming up animation is supposed to take place. So before this shader effector animation?

• Topic Author
  • Yeah the cubes will do their thing after they have reformed the space invader from the floor. I only used extrudes becasuse I'd made a flat 2D image in Illustrator and thought it would be easier to just import the paths. Not sure how you'd line all the primatives up without doing a load of maths and careful alignment? ...or is it easier than that? lol

But yes ignor the shaders. I need to do more experimentation with all that. And as this S.Invader moves around my live action street footage, doubtless I'll have it falling apart slightly as it goes so lots of tricks to experiment with still...

I'll play with the timing of everything my end. You're kick-start will be invaluable! smile.gif

cheers

Luke.

Here's a quick workaround.

The actual work was a lot more simple than I imagined it could be. smile.gif

I ditched the Illustrator cubes, and made a primitive with fillet and then made it editable and took out the end caps and closed the polygon holes and so on.

Take a look.

This was actually quite fun to try.

EDIT:

As a quick tip, the cubes I made were very easy to align if you hold down shift to snap to the edges of the other cubes.

• Topic Author
  • Excelent OJ!

Love it!

So I basicly turned all my splines into Akimas and increased their angles to 20 degrees in order to reduce the extrude nurbs subdevitions and therefore giving the cubes less polygons when I made them all editable. Massive speed increase in the active viewer when I did that!

So now I have one last thing I want to run by you...

I've decided I want each of the blocks to fire into the scene separately asthough a gun is firing them all at a rappid pace. I dont know how to control each of my 50 cubes like this without giving them all their own Fractle object and dynamic tag. Having said that, I still need all the cubes to form the space invader at the end sooo I dont see how separating them would work... ?

Any ideas here??

Thanks again!

Luke.