Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sneather

how do you replace materials?

• Topic Author
  • I have a client that is handing over multiple models which already have materials applied in another 3D app. The materials translate exactly in Cinema, of course, but they DO have the proper alignments, polygon selection tags, etc. So, what I need to do is replace the "proxy" materials in the material window, with my proper ones. I DON'T want to just drag and replace one at a time, in the Object window, as there are far too many.

Is this clear? Again, I'm looking for a way to simply replace one material, with another, but only in the material window.

Thanks.

you can alt drag your new material onto existing one - this will replace it.This action will override/delete existing material.

Alternatively,if you want to keep the previous material :

- select material

- in material manager go function/select texture tag/objects

- drag new material in material slot in attribute manager

Hope this helps

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

The attached image shows how I would do it.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

Odd that a plugin has never been made to do this job. I think what we want is a window that opens with the old set of materials on one side and the new set on the other, then be able to drag and drop reorder them and then hit apply.

The trouble is, such a plugin would be worth money to the likes of architects and so a freebie wouldn't be on the cards (yah boo sucks!)

- select material

- in material manager go function/select texture tag/objects

- drag new material in material slot in attribute manager

As he said but he should probably have made it plain that this is the quick (best) way as it will replace all instances of a particular material in one go while retaining while retaining all the attributes that you mentioned. You can also speed the process up a little by right clicking the material rather than going to the Function Menu.

Cheers

Karl

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, guys. Kiwi, I tried your well-illustrated approach, but unfortunately, I can only seem to drag one instance at a time from the locked "assignment" tab, to the other. Being that some of the models have literally hundreds of parts with the assigned texture, this just isn't going to cut it. Did I miss something? Is there a way to drag everything at once? I would have thought so.

HSrdelic & Karl, I'm actually not sure I totally understand what your directions are leading me to do. Could you kindly elaborate? I'm certainly well-aware of the ability to right-click, and select texture tags/objects. But I'm still not getting how I can replace that one texture, with the other, on the hundreds of instances. Again, I must be missing something, I'm sure.

Cheers!

I don't think C4D can do what you want. I think there was a plug-in that did but I can't remember it's name. What I think you want is a global replace material.

1. Make a new material with all the properties that you need.

2. In the Materials Manager right click on the material you want to replace and select the 'Select Texture Tags/Objects' option from the drop down menu.

3. Now drag your new material from the Materials Manager into the 'Material' slot in the Attribute Manager.

And that's it. The new material will replace all instances of the old material but will preserve all the attributes of the old material on each of the objects it is assigned to such as projection, selections etc.

Cheers

Karl

• Topic Author
  • Ah! Eureka! Thanks so much Karl. I simply missed the importance of the attribute's "material" slot in the tag properties.

Fantastic!