Wanna know the difference between Redshift, Cycles 4D, Octane and ProRenderer then click HERE!  Nerv, one of ours Cafe Contributors made this very useful topic, so feel free to visit and comment. :compEnjoy:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey guys,

Thought some of you might be interested in this - something I figured out yesterday.

By caching a simulation, you can then control the offset with some basic xpresso, allowing you to scrub back and forth through the simulation independent of the scene timeline.

It then allows you to set up other animations/interactions around the cached simulation.

imonkey    0

That's pretty cool! I can see this coming in handy for time remapping..

Nice work!

Hey, thanks.

I'm thinking this could be handy for a whole bunch of stuff, you could link the user data to a sound effector for example.

Now all I gotta do is come up with a cool project to use it for!

*Nice website by the way!

imonkey    0

Thanks, I actually checked out your website the other day, I really liked your reel.

But yes, I'm sure there are hundreds of uses for this xpression. I'm interested to see what you end up doing with it!

Guest encity   
Guest encity

awesome! thank you!

I am hoping if anyone can explain to me whats going on in this xpresso setup? I managed to get it to work with my scene, and know what needs to be done to set it up but I'm trying to learn xpresso better.

From what i understand of the setup is we're adding a time user data. putting that in the xpresso and linking the time user data to a range mapper and into the math:subtract function. there's a time node connected to the math function as well. and this outputs to mograph cache node's offset.

I guess my question is what does the time node do and why is it needed as an input for the math subtract.

Also what values exactly is the range mapper converting opposed to just linking the time user data value directly to the math node.

sorry for the beginner questions but Im hoping to better understand xpresso.

Thanks!

Hey Encity,

The time node feeds into the cache tags time offset to keep the dynamics stationary at whatever point on the time line you are at. Basically it is offsetting the animation by the same amount in the opposite direction as the timeline.

The user data is a percentage slider, so from one to one hundred. The range mapper converts this to the length of the scene timeline. In this case, 3 seconds long. If you use this setup in your own scene, you will need to adjust this to the duration of your scene if different. There's probably a slightly tidier way of setting up the user data so you don't have to do this, but it works!

Guest encity   
Guest encity

Ah and just like that, xpresso slowly makes more sense to me. Thank you!

I think i was getting confused as to what time was referred to in. (whether it was frames or seconds)

Appreciate the explanation. Thanks!