Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sneather

Who has professional stereoscopic experience?

I know, but I've been doing this for a long time. The kind of people I work with are the same way. You just have to get the work, then figure out how in the world you're going to accomplish the task!

So, I'll stick with asking for whatever experience people have with this new technology. Ideally, professional.

Cheers.

Good luck :) I've been meaning to mess around with stereoscopic but I just haven't had the time...

• Topic Author
  • Indeed...time is SO precious.

Guest soccerrprp

sneather,

Is all of your work going to be within cinema 4d? All of the animation? In such case, using one of the plugins above will be helpful. There are 3D setups that have been created for your use as well: http://www.svoigt.net/

There's stereo camera setup there. Remember you can also render a left and right view of your animation, put into AE and use the 3D glasses effect or manually add a cyan/red overlays. I would do a youtube, google search for AE technique.

Check out my school website: http://littletimothysworld.net/joomla/

A little ways down there are images and vids of anaglyph i created using cineview.

Like I said, not a pro, but working to get things looking good for the courses I teach. Let me know if you need any "amateur" help and if I can, I will. I'd love to see you succeed in this. I also hope others more informed chimes in.

BTW, i'm assuming that you have been talking about anaglyph 3D, not polarized 3D. Polarized 3D is another animal in itself. I'm hoping to work on that this year as well. :)

• Topic Author
  • Soccerrprp, thanks so much.

No, I always composite and refine in AfterEffects. So, I'm thinking those C4D plugs will not likely help my workflow.

This is how raw I am with this, that I'm still looking to refine my terminology! The initial direction is to NOT use anaglyph. So, I'm guessing that leaves the polarized method (Avatar?). Within that realm, there is also active and passive viewing, right? Would that have an impact on how the animations is created?

Thanks for your offer to help. I'll certainly let you know, when I have a better idea where I stand.

By the way, I wouldn't call the teaching of courses "amateur" by any means. And when I asked for "pro" help as opposed to hobbyist, it was never meant as a slight to anyone on this board. It's just that when you do things for pay, it does change the perspective as to what time is worth, and how best to accomplish the task.

Guest soccerrprp

holy ######. "they" want polarized? so, do "they" have the hardware to make this work? this method is not cheap- period. that is, if professional quality is absolutely essential (either way, not cheap). as per the raw creation of video, you still need a left/right eye perspective of film/animation. here's the kicker... most movies still use passive form of visualization, that is, simple polarized glasses with no rapid "shutter" or mechanical alternation between the left/right views to create the 3D-image. Why? COST. The shutter glasses are expensive. Most use radial polarized glasses instead of linear, but can still be done with linear. The idea is that the right/left views are projected 90deg of each other (polarization) or opposite rotations. It's the hardware that really makes this happen. Your job is not as bad. They have to have a projector(s) capable of projecting the two views simultaneously onto a silver screen (best results). The projector(s) must also have corresponding polarizers capable of polarizing the two view-points. Do they have such hardware?

Wow, my holy ###### got edited out. It wasn't even a profane word. :)

• Topic Author
  • Again, I'm going on slim information. I'm hoping to get a little more acute feedback today or tomorrow. But all I've been told, thus far, is that they're NOT going with anaglyph.

I've watched the long Cineversity webcast thingie. It was really helpful from an overall standpoint. It didn't answer one of my greatest questions, however, which is about post and delivery (not that it was intended to do so). I can imagine some overall workflows in AfterEffects, but don't fully realize all what is needed. Also, and I assume this has a direct correlation to the projection method being used, I'm at a loss to understand the frame rate(s) required for maximum quality.

Hi Sneather,

I would be inclined just to have a go.

If you've got an existing movie project just "Merge" the Stefan Voigt 3D camera rig: SV_Stereo_Rig_V_31_www_svoigt_net.c4d.

Set up right and left camera View Panels (so you can use crossed viewing to see the 3D) and an extra View Panel for the centre camera which is the only one you should navigate the rig with.

Render a short L and R image sequence and do a simple side by side merge in QT Pro or AE.

Create your movie for crossed viewing so you can see it.

Frame rates should be as normal (it's the display device that sorts out the higher frame rates for shuttered viewing) and resolution, I would be inclined the go with full HD. However, I believe some projection systems use 2x HD V and H resolution so you will need to find out exactly what the customer needs.

You then have a test example movie for your customer to try on their display equipment (probably L on Left side and R on right side).

Hope this helps.

SolarExpress

post-73611-048333700 1277314054_thumb.jp

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, Solar. I'm going to have a go at Stefan's rig shortly. Anyone know if the Cineversity one has been released yet?

Are you sure frame rates are normal? If they're using a high megahertz video projector, I would still think that I'd need to match that. I've hear 60fps elsewhere. Obviously, this is a question I'd need to get answered by the projection company, but I don't they've even been picked yet, judging by how little information the client has been able to trickle down to us.

Last Cineversity LIve said, hopefully end of this month for the MAXON stereo 3D rig.

The Stevan Voigt rig is really very good anyway.

As I said I'm pretty sure you will need only standard frame rates e.g. 24, 25, 30fps or near these as the high frame rates you are hearing about is the shutter frame rates, not the video frames rates. e.g RealD Cinema is 144fps, but this is the shutter rate 144 fps = (3 x 24 left + 3 x 24 right).

Cheers,

SolarExpress

Hi,

Another 3D stereo camera rig with:

Viewing Panel options in Camera Object -> User Data.

Camera Separation (Augenabstand)

Centre Camera (Off/Aus)

Side by Side (Nebeneinander) L/R and R/L and Anaglyph

Posted in C4DLounge.eu:

A free Camera Shader version 1.1, now featuring "Film Offset" from C4D cameras and a scaling option.

Also, there's an updated anaglyph/stereoscopic camera setup for version 1.1 downloadable here:

http://www.at2-softw...ic.php?f=10&t=8

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the continued information!