Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZChristian

Vue9 Xstream in R12

• Topic Author
  • Hi !

today, e-onsoftware sent out the downloadlinks for the pre-release installers for Vue9 Xstream (maintenance contract). So, I assume it is only a few days away from the official release.

It is nice to see Vue now also inside Cinema4DR12 and finally in 64bit on the Mac !

post-8126-049768300 1286906781_thumb.jpg

I just hope it's worth having, because the Mac version of xStream 7 in Cinema is definitely not - it is excruciatingly slow (at least twice as slow as running standalone, which is hardly fast to begin with), and buggy and crash-prone as hell. I felt completely ripped off and will take a lot of convincing to hand E-on any more money, for anything, ever.

Mark

I just hope it's worth having, because the Mac version of xStream 7 in Cinema is definitely not - it is excruciatingly slow (at least twice as slow as running standalone, which is hardly fast to begin with), and buggy and crash-prone as hell. I felt completely ripped off and will take a lot of convincing to hand E-on any more money, for anything, ever.

Mark

I have not seen any posts that testify that Vue XStream and C4D work flawlessly together. For $1500 I would expect flawless integration, nothing less. The company seems to cater to Maya or Max. But C4D? Well they be happy to take your money thank you very much.

• Topic Author
  • You are of course right with your criticism about Vue in general. I also went through intense periods of frustration with Vue... On the other hand, I see also positive sides, for example the fact the the product is continuously refined and improved (in contrast to other landscaping software that I owned years ago such as MojoWorld and the early Bryce).

Vue does create fantastic renders, no doubt about it, But the integration with C4D that is a half baked job. There is no nice way to put it. I only have so much money to spend each year on new software, I cannot afford to waste any ot it. So we'll see maybe they will improve in version 9.

It's well known that EON's development is squarely aimed at studio users to the detriment of any one else.

I'm afraid my involvement with Vue stopped at version 8.4. I just wasn't prepared to give more money to a company which doesn't appear to care for individual users any more, as well as the general bugginess of the whole thing. To say nothing of their truly ludicrous maintenance agreement (if you thought MAXON's approach was bad, take a look on the Vue forums for complaints about this - brings the whole thing into perspective and MAXON comes out of it looking pretty good).

So for me now Vue is good for producing nice backdrops but that's about it.

I totally disagree with that! I only hear bad things about the integration but in my opinion this is due to a misuse and misunderstanding of the plug-in. It's different than a native plug-in we're used to.

I'm using C4D 11.5 and Vue 8.5 64 bit. The integration is stable, seamless, not buggy and it won't crash if you do things right!

First of all, the plug-in works as a Proxy, witch means it represents Vue inside C4D (host). It's like having two programs running parallel at the same time. Whatever you're doing, Vue is just showing the results in C4D view-port, since its engine is taking care of the geometry, materials, etc.

There are a few reasons for crashing and they are mostly when you try to do something that belongs to Vue with C4D commands. (like undo or delete terrains, clouds, etc). The plug-in works best when using the palettes that can be found in Vue plug-in's folder inside C4D plug-ins.

Would it be a better investment to buy the standalone version versus the c4d version? I do like the landscapes it creates and was considering buying this program.

I'm not so sure anymore.

I totally disagree with that! I only hear bad things about the integration but in my opinion this is due to a misuse and misunderstanding of the plug-in. It's different than a native plug-in we're used to.

I'm using C4D 11.5 and Vue 8.5 64 bit. The integration is stable, seamless, not buggy and it won't crash if you do things right!

First of all, the plug-in works as a Proxy, witch means it represents Vue inside C4D (host). It's like having two programs running parallel at the same time. Whatever you're doing, Vue is just showing the results in C4D view-port, since its engine is taking care of the geometry, materials, etc.

There are a few reasons for crashing and they are mostly when you try to do something that belongs to Vue with C4D commands. (like undo or delete terrains, clouds, etc)

The plug-in works best when using the palettes that can be found in Vue plug-in's folder inside C4D plug-ins.

I'll try to write a tutorial this weekend and I'll post it here.

I don't think a written tutorial is going to convince anyone. If you want to give some credibility to your statements then you should make a video tutorial showing your procedure and then render a complex scene and then post the render. You can download a demo version of Camtasia Studio HERE. Otherwise why would I take your word over many users who have had negative experices and who have far more experience than you. You're implying they're ignorant. They can't all be stupid.

Guest grizzle

WEll if I can shed some light on this then let me lend my 2 cents worth. I have had Vue 5Espirit, Vue 5 Infinite, Vue 6Infinite, Vue 7Xstream, V 8.5Xstream and have had a great experience with it. I am just a hobbiest with these and have had minimal crashing but these incidents were mostly due to memory insufficiency or OGL issues. Start the program back up, load the scene and things are back to normal. WIth this program you gotta remember to have TONS of memory on your computer as it will hog every bit it can. I now have 12 gigs and am constructing my scenes with many, many billions of polygons in them with no problems. I also have two nVidia video cards with 3.6 gigs of video memory so my OGL issues are definately gone. With enough memory in the computer to support the scene and enough video memory to display tons of stuff you will have a very smooth experience.

Guest grizzle

WEll if I can shed some light on this then let me lend my 2 cents worth. I have had Vue 5Espirit, Vue 5 Infinite, Vue 6Infinite, Vue 7Xstream, V 8.5Xstream and have had a great experience with it. I am just a hobbiest with these and have had minimal crashing but these incidents were mostly due to memory insufficiency or OGL issues. Start the program back up, load the scene and things are back to normal. WIth this program you gotta remember to have TONS of memory on your computer as it will hog every bit it can. I now have 12 gigs and am constructing my scenes with many, many billions of polygons in them with no problems. I also have two nVidia video cards with 3.6 gigs of video memory so my OGL issues are definately gone. With enough memory in the computer to support the scene and enough video memory to display tons of stuff you will have a very smooth experience.