Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZChristian

Vue9 Xstream in R12

Guest Nabarun

Hallo,

Made a test with a vue background scene in C4D without the linear workflow on.

Looks quite nice i think (dont mind the front terrain, a little experiment that turned out bad :p)

The terrain, sky and trees look very good i think, without mucht lightning and no materials on the C4D objects (house).

BUT, it took almost 3 hours to render on medium C4D render quality. (1200x675px size 72 p/inch res.)

Thats much.

I have a Q6600 Qaudcore @ 2.4 Gig 4Gig DDR2 RAM and 1G DDR3 Videocard.

I guess it can go faster and my render parameters are not qorrect ( i'm quite new to C4D)

This supposed to be a movie (300frames) its gonna take 2 months to render when its finished :(

any advice in speeding things up without too much loss of quality would be great.

Thanks.

post-103479-0-80977700-1296771564_thumb.

Guest thaithao

hey i need help!

i got r12 and xtream 9.. c4d says it cant find the application folder.. i need help!

Guest jiggy

Can someone elaborate on linear workflow (command D on a mac? Just brings up project settings here) And I can't find it in the C4d help. Is this R12 only? ha! Anyway, we just upgraded from Vue 8.5 to 9 but have yet to upgrade c4d (that's next).

But on topic, I find Vue 9 in c4d 11.5 just Ok. Less crashes then in Vue 8.5, but performance is an issue for us (new mbps, no new mac pro just yet). It works great for what we got it for (game storyboarding in conjunction with Poser - used to create atmospheres & simple terrains), but I am thinking we could have done the same with a cheaper tool...dunno.

Now I would like to do something a bit more advanced, but wondering if anything more can be done on limited hardware in OSX.

Cheers,

Jigs

• Topic Author
  • Hi

yes, linear workflow is a topic in R12. It is on by default, but can be turned off simply.

The rendering speed of Vue Xstream in C4D is largely depending on the antialiasing settings of C4D, so take care of that for faster rendering, on the other hand, Vue has never

been very fast anyway.

Guest jiggy

Hi Christian, thx for that. I am on 11.5, so I guess it's a manual process there? I think I figured out Linear Workflow (I'd call it Gamma Conversion, but that's just me) and learned how-to from these two fine tuts:

& http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/MAXON-cinema-4d/linear-workflow-for-gamma-correct-lighting-in-cinema-4d/

However, I don't see how this helps the Vue atmosphere and terrain maker. Change the Vue assets to a 1/2.2 gamma? Huh. I tried it, and it just made them look washed out instead of the normal extremely harse. Still I have to bring it all into PS and correct there :) Well, thx again for the tip...perhaps this is just another reason to upgrade to v12 asap?

Cheers,

Jigs