Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sxpeters

How to create this metal texture?

sxpeters    0
  • Topic Author
  • I am trying to recreate some metal texture some where between these two samples, and it has to be photorealistic. I have been playing around with the lighting, specular and noise but I can't seem to get this look. Any advice?

Thanks,

Steve

3DKiwi    316

If you're up few a few bucks I would highly recommend the shaders by Cafe member maat here.

3DKiwi

sxpeters    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks. I will look into those.

How do you create oxidation like you see in this shovel? I have read some tutorials on creating textures, not specific to c4d, and from what I read I would think that it would be a texture that would be added to the specular channel, but in c4d you can't add a texture in the spec channel?

Thanks,

Steve

dataflow    17

try the "WORKING WITH PROCEDURALS" tut on following site

http://www.3dluvr.com/carles/resources.htm

and what you mentioned about the specular that would be the "specular color" channel

sxpeters    0
  • Topic Author
  • I bought those metal textures and also checked out that post and I can't seem to recreate that texture. What may look good on a bolt does not look good on my object with my lighting. If any one could help me before monday I would be willing to pay for your time.

Thanks,

Steve

deepshade    5

Post what you have so far? As you've experienced, textures look a fair bit different on the actual object than on a primitive.

After that - ensure you have enough lights (and they are not all set to white)

Then - layers. Lots of layers.

Layers in the material - bump map, diffusion, etc.

Then layers of material - Alpha a layer or two

mmVRay    2

The Noctua Metal Shaders will do the job. He has a set of 180 metal shaders. Texture maped or procedural shaders. They are great if you don't want the shiney new look. NOCTUA

Here is a render of the steel and iron procedural shaders. I also own the Texturemaat shaders together with these you have a lot of choices.

sxpeters    0
  • Topic Author
  • So here is my scene. I have 3 different metal textures I was playing with but I just can't get a realistic looking metal material like the sample above. I know that the lighting can totally change the way the metal looks as well. Basically I have to drop this into an image that is 8.5 x 11, in the bottom left corner. I don't have to match any lighting and the background is going to be a very dark brown, almost black. And I will be compositing in some flames underneath the trident. So the lighting just really needs to show off the trident. I want it to look used with out looking dirty or old. So if anyone could please help with this it would be greatly appreciated. Please do not share this model.

Thanks,

Steve

deepshade    5

Play with the alpha value for more obvious grime in the overlay.

Difficult getting used, but not dirty

I'm not sure how much 'shine' you want on it

and again - lighting (or placement of lights) makes a huge difference

I suspect that any flames nearby would add more light than the orange underlight you have in your scene

Anyhow - something here may get you on your way

PS - why use GI?

edit: Another revision - probably all from me. The wood could do with working on (its from the default preset) - but out of time today.