Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sxpeters

How to create this metal texture?

Guest deepshade

@sxpeters

you need to update your sig

That texture file was an r12 file.

And I would suggest looking at the updated metal texture above - its been changed since it was originally posted.

Guest deepshade

Worth the effort?

• Topic Author
  • I forgot about that, I have updated my profile. Thanks so much for all of your help. I am trying to play around with the latest material. To me there is something that is making it look a little cartoony and flat and I am trying to figure out if it is the lighting, specular or reflection? The metal of that shovel just seems to have more depth. I am trying to get a little bit more or a specular highlight, but at the same time break up the highlight so that it's not to smooth and perfect? Also, I am going to need to go in and bang up the ends of the points and put in some scratches and dings here and there. I am thinking of doing this in BP since I want this to happen in specific places. I am assuming for the ends I need to do this in the displacement channel?

Deepshade, thanks again for all of your help. This is one of the most helpfull forums.

Thanks,

Steve

PS: If I wanted to turn that wood into a darker wood, like this sample, would I just do that in PS?

Guest deepshade

It is down to lighting, environment and the the odd unique mark that makes textures look real. Metal can so easily look like tin foil if the spec and reflections are pushed too hard. It all takes time - and that trident was just a starting point - also didn't want to change your lighting - glad it helped.

As for the wood - depends on what you are using. Sure you can just change the hue is PS (small preview - looks like leather to me!). Take a look at base80's procedural wood texture for another great collection

http://www.base80.com/index.php/2005/08/15/banzi_wood

bfn

PS - Thanks for the feedback, it makes a difference. It's what the community here is all about, whether the advice solves your problem or not- there are a lot of helpful people here, and they get a bit despondent when some users just download and run. Good luck with the rest of the project.

• Topic Author
  • I have seen some metal materials that use Lumas in the color channel with anistropy. I played around with that in this image, but this is not exactly what I am after.

As far as environment, since this is not going into a real background and am not sure what or if I would use one. I have been playing around with the lighting but I am not getting that depth to the metal that I am looking for. I don't want it to reflective or specular, but I feel like when you lose those things the metal just has no life?

Thanks,

Steve

• Topic Author
  • If i want to have some nicks in the metal, will I need to do that in a displacement channel, would I need to use sub poly disp?

Guest deepshade

you could do it with another bump

and or sub poly displacement (displacement isnt for small details)

also try changing the alpha mix in the rust overlay to bring out the dents

as for depth - It needs a greater range of light and environment

You'll certainly have to brighten it up a bit if you want it more like the knights helmet. It ca be done - jst takes time. Look, look again, work out what's missing.

You could try a hdri /sky combination with a composite tag - ie not seen by camera to give it something with oomph to reflect.

In the real work - it would have more than a black room and 3 small lights lo reflect.

• Topic Author
  • I am trying to add multiple materials, like deepshade did, but when I create a new material, and just have a bump channel, then drag that on my object it just turns black? What am I missing?

Steve

Guest dataflow

your missing your scene file or screen shots.

dont really understand what your doing or trying to do

• Topic Author
  • I was just trying to recreate what deepshade did with the scene he attached. If you download that you can see that he has multiple materials applied to the trident. One of them is just a material with only a bump channel. I want to be able to have one material that would have some noise in the bump channel, then have another material that I could paint in some texture in the bump channel of another material. That way I could independently control the depth of each bump of my materials.

Guest dataflow

you need to enable "Mix Textures" on the material tag

• Topic Author
  • thanks