• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

octave

Zoom issue, object wrapping on a cone and varnish texture thickness!

• Topic Author
  • Hi everyone,

I'm new in the 3D community and have a tons of questions! I'm currently trying to model a fly fishing rod (photos attached).

My first question is:

Do I have to use real measurements, because a rod is about 1 cm large? I tried to do this with a cone with an height of 200cm, a bottom radius of 0.6 cm and top radius of 0.2 cm. The problem is that I have to zoom in a lot to see details and then it's very hard to be precise with the zoom. Would it be easier to work by multiplying each value per 10 or 100, or is it a better way which allows to keep real value?

My second question is:

What is the best way to wrap a logo text or cork rings around a cone (not a cylinder)? (like in the photo attached)

And my last question is:

What is the best way to reproduce varnish thicknesses variations on the rod?

Hope it is clear enough. Thanks for your time.

post-100874-0-74297000-1294155640_thumb.

post-100874-0-30908100-1294155649_thumb.

Yeah. default dimensions can cause lots of navigation issues... You could try modeling your object in a different scale (factors of 10) until you're comfortable with moving around the viewport. Then you can scale it down again when you're done. It's what I often do when I've got several objects in the scene. (Just be aware that scaling objects (the S values in the object's Coordinate tab in the Attribute Manager) isn't the same as scaling the mesh itself. I think other people in the cafe can explain this better.)

Regarding varnish... it can get tricky. C4D doesn't have a built-in clearcoat material so you'll probably have to experiment with several materials.

The Banji shader has a lot of good options for transparent objects.

The brute-force method would be to duplicate the object you want to varnish, scale it slightly larger than the original object, then apply a transparent glossy material to that. You'll then get a physical object acting as the varnish.

Hello,

To answer your first question: No, you do not need to use real sizes. Use whatever scale you like, if you need to, you can always rescale the model once you have made it.

Question2: The best way to wrap your cork texture around the handle would be to use Body Paint, but, do you realy need to go that far? Cylindrical mapping with flat mapping for the ends may well be enough. If you do want to use Body Paint, there are tut's here on the cafe and some with your C4D DVD's.

Question3: When looking at a varnished surface you have to look very,very close to tell between ripples in the varnish and veriations in the underlying surface. So assuming you will not be veiwing that close, a bump or normal map with cylindrical mapping should do the trick.

If you do want to be able to see the varnish itself you could try making a copy of the rod and place it in a HyperNurb. Add an Explosion Deformer to it, set Time to 0; and set the Thickness to a slight minus number. The Explosion Deformer set as described will give you an "outer coating2 to the rod, the HyperNurb will smooth it out abit. You may well have to make cuts in varnish geomertery to control the HyperNurb, but just have a play with it. Then you will need to add a varnish texture.

Hope this helps.

Regads Bishka

Oops, that was not suppose to happen!

• Topic Author
  • WoW! Thanks for your answers! I will investigate it, and give you my feedback, based on your suggestions.

Glad it helped.

Look forward to seeing the results.

Bishka

Oops, that was not suppose to happen!