Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest tommyk

How Do You Make A Library?

Guest tommyk
  • Topic Author
  • ok, I'm new here (so hello :]) and I'm also new to c4d.

Basically, I am making a library of items like the presets found in c4d. I have made a new library in the content browser and that all works fine. I have also added some objects to it. These objects are made by grouping a series of objects and then "save current state to object". This results in a polygon. I then save the scene, and then add the .c4d to the library.

The problem is, I cant just drag and drop to a scene. It opens the item up in its own scene, then I have to copy and paste it. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Tom

Drag and drop works fine here.

File menu/ Merge is maybe what you need.

One thing to check is that you don't have Single click open activated. Right click any of the thumbnails in the content browser and deselect Single click open. In my case at least, some object only get added if you drag them onto the Object manager. The problem could be a combination of this and the Single click open option. Some objects seem to be added when dragged to either the Viewport or the object manager.

I'm a bit puzzled about some objects only being added if dragged to the object manager and some opening when dragged to the viewport. Someone clear this up for me.

Are you looking for something like this? - http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=60334

urban_h:

I made a mini tutorial (60sek) how to make a lib4d file for Content Browser the ZIP file is 2,9MB and you can download it here: http://www.teamformsvacka.se/lib4d/

/ urban

@ James,

From a quick test.

Most custom objects saved to a User Library seem to be placed into an open scene when dragged into the Object Manager.

Materials can also be added.

There are some older MAXON presets which appear only to open in a new file. These might be from earlier, first version Content Browsers. Remember that the original CB was a right nest of bugs which took a lot of swatting to clear out. Could be that 'Place into open scene' is not supported for these items.

Having said that, sometimes they do get placed!! cursing.gif

Second quick test: (After re-reading your post.)

OK. It looks like with 'Single Click Open' enabled, the preset opens in a new file.

And with 'Single Click Open' disabled, the preset is placed into the open file when dragged into the Object Manager. :)

@ Tom. You don't have to convert anything. Just group things under a Null, give it a name and drag that into the User Library folder in the Content Browser. You can also add sub-folders to keep things organized.

Alan.

Guest tommyk
  • Topic Author
  • @ Tom. You don't have to convert anything. Just group things under a Null, give it a name and drag that into the User Library folder in the Content Browser. You can also add sub-folders to keep things organized.

Alan.

When I do that, the textures disappear, and everything goes black :S

@ James,

Second quick test: (After re-reading your post.)

OK. It looks like with 'Single Click Open' enabled, the preset opens in a new file.

And with 'Single Click Open' disabled, the preset is placed into the open file when dragged into the Object Manager. :)

Alan.

What's actually happening is that when you click on a file and drag it into the objects manager the files is opened and at the same time added to the already open project. This is obviously not how it's supposed to work so I think this needs to go into bug land. I'll chuck it over to MAXON and let them ruminate over it. I never use single click so not a problem for me. I only found the problem with a bit of investigating about this thread.

works fine here.. make sure your model can render with texture before you save it to your library.. I made this mistake before when I 1st started using the Content library..

James, I'm not having any problem with Single Click disabled. All content assets are dragging into the single open file OM. No secondary file created.

I'm still on R.11.5 on a Mac so it might be an R.12 issue. Likewise, never noticed the problem until chasing this thread.

Third quick test.

Looks like it is almost certainly a progressive legacy bug.

The old AR/Pyro scenes which probably date back as far as V.8.5 are opening in their own document and cannot be dragged into either OM or viewport.

Slight improvement with some MoGraph libraries (These date from v.9.6.) can only open in a new document when clicked but can be dragged into the OM.

More recent sample scenes and custom libraries are behaving themselves, both with single click and dragging into active document OM.

Could someone check the creation of User sub-folders in R.12. This was a problem which was squashed in 10.5/11.

Also, check that object & materials are being save properly. Works OK for me.

Alan.

Guest tommyk
  • Topic Author
  • ok, I went into preferences when i first started making my library, and set the texture paths to the folder where I saved all the .c4d's. However, if I dont set those paths it asks me if i want to copy the image to the file location. Even if I click yes, it is black in the library :(

How do I do this. Its really annoying me! I found I can drag them to the current scene (I wasnt dragging them to the object window), but... They are now all black.

@ Rantin Al. I've just tested this in 10.5 and It seems there been an ongoing problem, the same but different. In 10.5 when I use Single click open and drag, two copies of the object appear in the open project. This only happens with objects that can be dragged into the viewport or object manager. a lot of stuff just can't be dragged in 10.5.

@ tommyk. Just checking, was the Single click open causing the problem?

Guest tommyk
  • Topic Author
  • @James no it wasn't :S just me not knowing how it works :P

Still have the material problem. It says they are missing, but I don't know where to actually put them :(

A library can contain scenes and objects. If you drag a scene file into the library it will open as a scene when used, if you drag an object in the library it will be added to the active scene when used.

Cheers

Bjorn