Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aneirin

Time Reverse Emitted Rigid Bodies

• Topic Author
  • I've given up on figuring this out for now, I'm going to do it a different way, but I'm just wornding if anyone can suggest a way round this for future reference.

I'm trying to animate a load of coins falling into a piggy bank. they need to fall and spin realistically but land directly into the slot, so i figured the best way would be to animate them going upwards and then reverse it. I have a standard emitter with rigid dynamics on the coins, and i assumed there would be no problem using cappuccino or an xref to reverse them but I was wrong. it all caches fine and i can scrub backwards in the timeline, I just can't see a way to get that into keyframes.

any ideas?

Hi

If you want to bake the MoDynamics simulation you can follow this on CGtalk or this thread here in the cafe.

Nuno

If you don't use an emitter but create all objects as real particles you can bake the dynamics and then go to the project serttings (Ctrl+D) ->Dynamics->cache, check the use option and animate the Playback Time parameter from your last frame to your first frame. This will playback the backed solution in reverse. Mind you,it only works correctly if you don't use a generator like an emitter for the dynamic objects.

• Topic Author
  • sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by real particles?

I didn't know about the playback time option though, that will definitely be useful in future but right now I need to get everything as keyframes, just to complicate things the whole scene will be going into an xref and I've just realized that cached dynamics don't work at all.

• Topic Author
  • here is a stripped down version of the file.

I've since done it a different way, but it would still be useful to know how to get round this. there have been a few times in the past i've wanted to do this kind of thing

particlecoins.c4d

Sorry, i meant real objects, not real particles.

• Topic Author
  • ah ok, that's how i did it in the end. it just would be nice to be able to use an emitter instead of making hundreds of copies

Hey Srek,

Been awhile, I hope you are well. I had to have a play with your suggestion and although it certainly goes backwards, it's not as if they appear to be falling though. When I bake and set the options you suggested, it kind of paints the coins or acts like a tracer. It there away to funnel, so to speak, particle/dynamics with a predictable or setable end point PSR? Take care...

Jeff

You can do this with TP, but i fear the effect is not 100% what a reverse movie would show. In TP you can set individual target positions and alignments for each particle and let them behave dynamically on their way to it, but the dynamics will be basicaly forward calculated. If you were to reverse the outcome again it wouldn't look natural. It might do the job though.

The TP Sticky Goo preset and example in the content browser use such a setup.

Cheers

Bjorn