Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3DKiwi

Bodypaint Update

I'm very excited about your BP DVD. Now you're up to 14 hours? WOW! Our fellow C4D users are very fortunate to be able to get 14 hours of training for $50. You won't find quality tutorials for that amount anywhere else, but here at the Cafe.

Three cheers for 3DKiwi. Hip-hip-hooray! Hip-hip-hoorayyy! Hip-hip-hooraayyyy! :P

Thanks so much, 3DKiwi, for putting your time and effort into these Bodypaint tutorials. I know we will all be Jedi Masters of Bodypaint after viewing your DVD.

I'll second that 3dtodd,

This is just outstanding!

John

• Topic Author
  • Sunday 4 September. Just finished bump mapping the Spitfire. It's pretty much finished now except for a bit of weathering and playing around with specularity, environment etc. Still to set up lighting.

Phew!!

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Thanks. The only difference with the camo is I've now got some reflection and an environment channel.

Here's another one. Just playing around.

3DKiwi

Guest MilesBaskett

Looking sweet kiwi! I think its a tad too shiney though, maybe a more matte finish would be more realistic.

Looks like she gased up and ready to go! to me.

John

Guest ko4dcaf

I agree with John.

Book me a seat :)

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Kris

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys. I'm still playing around with the reflection. In some photos and on several DVD's the paint is clearly shiny with some reflection, however i think with my desert style scheme a more matte look is appropriate. I've got a book of colour schemes and they vary widely.

Regards

3DKiwi

I know restored aircraft often have a glossy finish, but it seems rather unlikely that combat aircraft would have an overly reflective paint. I think I have the actual paint colour codes in a book somewhere here. Might see if I can dig it up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No countrys in the 1940's had flat paint. It was up to the ground crews to dull up airframes. Weather did the rest.

John

Also while aircraft got paint on all the parts of its airframe( well most ) where cloth covering was it looked like someone painted that part with a off color to the rest of the airframe, far less shine.

All of this is kind of hard to tell today with all the black and white pictures which have some 60 years of fade added to them.

Guest kamo

:) very informative JOHN ;)

thanks

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys. The restored ones are certainly quite shiny. My MkV is all metal. Some early versions had cloth covered rudders and tail planes I believe.

I've been taking a few liberties with it so I'll run with colours that visually appeal to me. My book on spitfires says that despite there being standard specs for paint, shortages of paint etc meant there were lots of variations in schemes.

Cheers

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Just playing around. This time with HDRI and using a soft filter to make the plane match the grainy background image.

3DKiwi