Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gorilla

Polygon Height To Intensity ?

• Topic Author
  • I would like to change the shader color depending on the polygon height,

I would like the polygons to be lighter as they go up, and darker as they go down - is this possibe ?

I attached an example file.

Thank you

poly_intensity.c4d

• Topic Author
  • No solutions :( ?

There is in the Surface-Spread plugin but there are probably other "height shasers out there. How about a gradient in the color channel?

Solution is to drop your object in fracture (disconnect polygons first) and simply drop a shader effector with falloff in fracture. Only thing left is to position the falloff so

once polygons "reach" certain height they enter the effectors influence. For successful gradient use mograph color shader under colorizer :)

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • First of all, thank you for these replies.

Please check my example, the things you both suggested wors with global height, but my example is a "curved" structure. What I want is: as my polygons get "higher" from their "starting point" (not a global height) they become sort of colored (or gets white). I have to be using the extrude to give the desired movement (as you can see in the example) - and I'm looking for a possible solution for this case..

Re height shader. R13 has a new "Terrain Mask" shader. Here's a quick example.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Thank you for the reply 3dkiwi,

I guess this is -again- not what I'm asking for. This works like a usual attitude mapping, what I'm asking is height based on the normal at the coordinate (so it will still work when the geometry is bent)

The shader has an option for slope if that's what you mean.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Hm no, not slope.

Let say we've used a bend deformer with your example..

Since the bending changes the point based attitude, it gives a different output (and shading)

What I'm looking for is some sort of height mapping which is not based on attitude but based on normals of the geometry, so that it works in every condition.

Again, talking through my example: the base geometry should be black but when pieces go "up" they should become white, no matter how bending is used --

I'm not sure if that's clear :)

• Topic Author
  • Here is a more clear example and explanation.

Please check the current state of the object shading, as parts go up, it they become white, with the help of a simple gradient.

When "bend" is turned on, the effect is lost, since it is not based on "normals".

I would like to achieve a similar effect, do not have to use gradients of any sort, only trying to get a similar effect to work on different surfaces instead of only plain surfaces or primitives.

poly_intensity_2.c4d

To get the gradient to stick you need to do a current state to object command on the plane to freeze the effect of the Extrude Deformer. You can then bake the Gradient shader into an image map using the "Bake object" command on the render menu. That creates a new UV mapped object with the baked texture on it. It can then be deformed.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Uhm, then I will lose the motion, which will destroy the whole point...