Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keign

R13 Physical Renderer And Camera

Keign    1
  • Topic Author
  • I cannot get a good render from the physical renderer, is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to optimize it and decrease the grain and time?? I'm getting worse quality and time than the standard renderer. I also cannot get my DOF to work even with the Front and rear blur set to on, or off, on the physical camera and the aperture at 1.4...

Cerbera    1,210

I cannot get a good render from the physical renderer, is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to optimize it and decrease the grain and time?? I'm getting worse quality and time than the standard renderer. I also cannot get my DOF to work even with the Front and rear blur set on the physical camera and the aperture at 1.4...

Well I can get a decent result, and with DoF, but that's with just arbitrary settings, and I haven't found any tutorials that explain why my settings work, and as usual, the manual is of almost zero help in explaining what might be good starter settings. The nearest I have seento something that might help you so far is GSG's Intro to R13 which does sort of lay out some of it.

But yeah, roll on the tut vids that shows us comprehensively how... I imagine HSrdelic / Vertex Pusher and others are working on it, so am confident there will be some fairly soon smile.gif

CBR

Keign    1
  • Topic Author
  • I'm sure there will be, I just thought there might be something out there already from the Beta team or others that have had r13 for a year now.

morpheus    4

Have you seen the greyscale gorilla intro to the physical renderer? Lots of good tips in there on bits and pieces.

Oh, and with the camera, as it's a physical camera the front and rear blur options you don't need or use.

If you want a high blur amount you need to use the equivalent of a zoom lens to get the large change in DOF. You can also manually crank the blur up abnormally by then decreasing the f-stop.

It's the same with motion blur too. It's all about your shutter angle.

To be honest, you are best looking into actual camera techniques than looking at cg tutorials.

M

Keign    1
  • Topic Author
  • I think I've seen a little of it, I'll check it out again, thanks.

Keign    1
  • Topic Author
  • I should be getting an insane DOF with an f-stop of 1, I wonder why I'm barely getting any. I've tried adjusting the focal distance and plane, as well as zooming in and out.

Keign    1
  • Topic Author
  • I own a DSLR and know all about the actually camera, but with a 50mm prime lens on 1.8 aperture on my real camera, the DOF is wicked. With a DOF of 1 in C4D on a 50mm it's barely noticeable, zoomed or not, telephoto or not. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't know that it directly translates perfect.

morpheus    4

Make sure you are also replicating the distance of the subject from the lens.

M

Cerbera    1,210

Here's a scene file for you to try, which should show you some DoF and HQ rendering... let me know if it works for you...

Keign    1
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Cerbera I'll check it out here in a few.

dhpdigital    0

Hi Keign. I'm guessing here as I haven't had time to install R13 yet!!! But with Vray being a physical render engine there are things I have learnt over the years which might help. Scale is very important. If you're modelling a pen, then set the units to real world measurements. Make it the length of a real pen. Then things should work like a physical camera. You may be getting tiny amounts of DOF because your opject is way too big in the scene. Try reducing it and test render again bigsmile.png

Keign    1
  • Topic Author
  • I'm sure scale probably has a lot to do with it, but stock scale should be optimal, it would be pretty inefficient to have to resize everything I create from primitives. I'll try messing with scene scale as well