Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmikal

What Features You Are Waiting For C4D (Wishlist)

• Topic Author
  • @kosmikal

Another issue is that many features one wants to see in Cinema (or any other application) are simply protected by patents, copyright and all sorts off legal stuff which then makes it impossible to implement, or there is a certain limitation off some kind which makes it impossible.

If i remember it right: there is no Program patents in Europe/EU. Or am i wrong?

This is another topic, but i'm gonna say it anyway: i think that program patents' are not good thing at all (imo).

If i remember it right: there is no Program patents in Europe/EU. Or am i wrong?

This is another topic, but i'm gonna say it anyway: i think that program patents' are not good thing at all (imo).

While this is true in general there are some cases where effectively software methods have been patented in europe. It's only theoretical anyway since CINEMA 4D and every other 3D app out there is beeing sold world wide so you have to take the legal situation in all the countries you sell in into account.

As for plugin development, MAXON offers completely free access to a well documented API. Many plugin developers take part in Maxons free program to get early access to new versions and direct support in development. Also the CINEMA 4D API is much more stable than most of the competing products. For Max and Maya for example you need a new version of a plugin with each and every major release. With CINEMA 4D the API is stable over several major versions and is only extended, not modified with each version.

You shouldn't take Samir as an average example for a plugin developer. Unfortunately, due to some issues from the past, he does not have access to confidential information from MAXON anymore.

Cheers

Bjorn

• Topic Author
  • The biggiest problem with C4D plugin developers is that most of them look "hobbiers" (sorry) and i gues they are (sorry again if i am wrong).

When you look at Remotion, xparticle, c4djack, dns-plugins etc. They dosen't look Professional plugin developers.

Dpit, jawset looks professional and they have very professional products, but i guess they are originally also hobbiers.

There is only Nextlimit, e-on, and blackstar who looks (imo) and are also professional coders for C4D (i guess).

So there is no much pro plugin developers for C4D, unlike for Maya, 3DS max etc... (they have lots of professional plugin developers) :/

There was only two option for liquid simulation for C4D. Dpit effex and Realflow, but DPit effex can't use physical motion blur (i guess it is because of MAXON's support), and realflow is quite expensive for liquid and destruction plugin. And it looks like i/we must wait for jawset's liquid simulation support for a long time (sigh, i hope that i am wrong). TubrulenceFD and Dpit effex are good plugins because they can be driven/used directly inside C4D, unlike nextlimit's realflow or maxwell.

IMO all good plugins should be used inside the head program, because different UI makes a lot when you must do something fast.

Guest shawnfoster

As for plugin development, MAXON offers completely free access to a well documented API. Many plugin developers take part in Maxons free program to get early access to new versions and direct support in development. Also the CINEMA 4D API is much more stable than most of the competing products. For Max and Maya for example you need a new version of a plugin with each and every major release. With CINEMA 4D the API is stable over several major versions and is only extended, not modified with each version.

This is 100% true. When I need something for my plugins which are all written in C++, I have an SDK that is extremely well documented and I have full access to all aspects of C4D with which to develop from.

LOL.. If I could sell enough plugins to feed my family I would totally do it full time. HAHAHA.. Problem is that it takes time to write the plugins, especially if they are big. Time which unfortunately has to be divided between my day job, family, and oh yeah the occasional sleep. HAHA

If I can eventually get my series done and start selling them to studios and such, I will devote significantly more time to development. :) I think the same is true for other developers. They make great products, but time and resources are always a factor.

~Shawn

@kosmikal

There are far more "hobby" plugin developers for Max or Maya. What is important to say, is that you can have thousands off developers, but if they are not "top off the line", it is pretty much the same as you don't have them. That is why, for example, Microsoft doesn't have a 3D application, even though it seems they have all necessary resources.

...IMO all good plugins should be used inside the head program, because different UI makes a lot when you must do something fast...

What if that is technically impossible? Or, would require both companies to "reveal" some off the inner workings off their software which is certainly not what they want? :)

There are many, many aspects within software development that average user simply can't be aware off.

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • I think Nextlimit might be insulted to hear Realflow called a 'plugin', it's hardly that since it's a completely standalone app.

Cheers,

Brian

that's true, i forgot that realflow is standalone app. No wonder why it is so expensive. It got only few features but still it costs around 3000euros

• Topic Author
  • @kosmikal

There are far more "hobby" plugin developers for Max or Maya. What is important to say, is that you can have thousands off developers, but if they are not "top off the line", it is pretty much the same as you don't have them. That is why, for example, Microsoft doesn't have a 3D application, even though it seems they have all necessary resources.

...IMO all good plugins should be used inside the head program, because different UI makes a lot when you must do something fast...

What if that is technically impossible? Or, would require both companies to "reveal" some off the inner workings off their software which is certainly not what they want? :)

There are many, many aspects within software development that average user simply can't be aware off.

Cheers

that's true :/

So, the problem is that C4D don't support 3rd part plugin developers as good as they could support,

Part of the problem is the very old core code that C4D still uses. I recall the developer of SplinePatch telling me he originally wanted to do a Nurbs plugin for C4D but that wasn't technically possible with C4D's core. As a compromise he came up with a Spline / Patch plugin. If and when C4D's internal core gets replaced we'll likely see more powerful plugins assuming plugin developers believe they can make money out of developing them for C4D.

3DKiwi

If and when C4D's internal core gets replaced we'll likely see more powerful plugins assuming plugin developers believe they can make money out of developing them for C4D.

...that's the thing. I don't think the potential market is profitable enough for people to devote an excessive amount of time and effort to develop, say, rayfire for cinema.

• Topic Author
  • Part of the problem is the very old core code that C4D still uses. I recall the developer of SplinePatch telling me he originally wanted to do a Nurbs plugin for C4D but that wasn't technically possible with C4D's core. As a compromise he came up with a Spline / Patch plugin. If and when C4D's internal core gets replaced we'll likely see more powerful plugins assuming plugin developers believe they can make money out of developing them for C4D.

3DKiwi

Ok, lets hope that MAXON will replace it with more powerfull core asap (but i guess it will take time... lots of time) :/

• Topic Author
  • Btw. Would it (the re-coded core) affect for pre-existing plugins?

Would those old plugins work anymore if the C4D's core will be rewritten?

Guest shawnfoster

I would say that a completely recoded core would most definitely affect current plugins. A completely rewritten core would probably mean a different point/polygon structure and could even mean true nurbs objects. This would be a problem for any plugins that use points and polygons as a reference. I think a complete overhaul of the core would be a huge task for everyone but I would definitely like to see it happen eventually.