Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmikal

What Features You Are Waiting For C4D (Wishlist)

. I reckon the development cycle for C4D is too short. An 18 month time frame between versions would see better upgrades and new things more polished.

Agreed - they've painted themselves into a corner with this though.

I'd love to see their "war room" strategy for the next 5 years, and what things are scheduled for each release.

Guest deepshade

There are just 3 features I'd like to see in future versions of Cinema - Faster, faster and lastly, faster. ;)

All the features in the world don't help if you can't use them effectively and for animation in Cinema the slowdown with a lot of objects in the scene is a real bottleneck.

Cheers,

Brian

+1

Then again - I don't feel its right to pay £400-700 to get that fixed, when it should have been up to spec (especially at the 'Studio' price point) in the first place.

Guest dataflow

+1

Then again - I don't feel its right to pay £400-700 to get that fixed, when it should have been up to spec (especially at the 'Studio' price point) in the first place.

when they add/change/make faster its not really a fix its more of an improvement if something has a bug they usually release bug fixes for those unless the bugs are not found until the new release which they still list as bug fixes

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

I don't think that's the case. You get the same system regardless of whether you are using Pixar Sub-D's or not.

If you're not doing character animation, motion graphics or anything that requires particles then modo is the way to go.

3DKiwi

Maybe, but when i did use same object in C4D and in Modo, i got better subdivision shading with Pixar's Subdivision in Modo.

It was same model (exported with obj format). I tried to use weight control (weight hypernurbs) in C4D for generating same shading than what i got in Modo when i used it's own weight control (weight tool), the result wasn't same at all, so it got matter what subdivison system you are using...

Modo's subdivision looks more natural than C4D's own system.

kosmikal - my understanding is that modo's Pixar Sub D's are in fact the same as our Catmull Clarke Sub D's. The difference being how open edges can be creased or rounded. See the image below. Note that they even call Pixar Sub D's Catmull Clarke in the settings.

modo of course does better edge weighting because you can use falloffs.

The shading difference could be because you didn't change the Hypernurbs Subdivide UV option to edge or boundary. modo uses one of these as standard.

3DKiwi

Guest deepshade

when they add/change/make faster its not really a fix its more of an improvement if something has a bug they usually release bug fixes for those unless the bugs are not found until the new release which they still list as bug fixes

In the strictest sense - agreed. But there's stuff that is way below par in the app for it to be OK for that price point - so its not exactly an improvement - more a catch up.

• Topic Author

kosmikal - my understanding is that modo's Pixar Sub D's are in fact the same as our Catmull Clarke Sub D's. The difference being how open edges can be creased or rounded. See the image below. Note that they even call Pixar Sub D's Catmull Clarke in the settings.

modo of course does better edge weighting because you can use falloffs.

The shading difference could be because you didn't change the Hypernurbs Subdivide UV option to edge or boundary. modo uses one of these as standard.

3DKiwi

But i did (i changed it "uv-level set" for 6 level, editor and rendering, also the hypernurbs level was level 6, so did i forgot something?), and it didn't give me the same result than Modo did. But you might be right in that case that C4D has pixar subdivision, but Modo got's better weighting tools. But i will try it again sooner or later...

You would need to post comparison images for us to look at. A subdivision level of 6 is excessive and on anything modestly complex will just bog your computer down if set to 6 for the viewport or slow down rendering with no appreciable difference in smoothness.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author

You would need to post comparison images for us to look at. A subdivision level of 6 is excessive and on anything modestly complex will just bog your computer down if set to 6 for the viewport or slow down rendering with no appreciable difference in smoothness.

3DKiwi

Ok. I will try to regenerate the scene when i got time for it.

But what is coming for C4D development... I think that all areas should be extended in every upgrades... Modelling, animation, simulation, rendering etc... But some areas should have bigger upgrades than others (and it can't be same area/arsenal in every time).

Like in the next upgrade there should be big upgrade for modelling tools (i hope lot of them, and i think that modo is great inspiration source for that job ; ) mostly i would like to see sculpting tools in C4D those what modo already has like (image map sculpting), and then modelling tools from modo and last would be retopology tools.

And second "big" thing should be

self-collision for skin and rigged soft-bodies for character animation.

One thing what would be good for Modo and C4D users would be Modo exporter/importer, i would love that feature. Is there already plugins for that?

One thing what would be good for Modo and C4D users would be Modo exporter/importer,

Both have various importers and exporters.

3DKiwi