Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmikal

What Features You Are Waiting For C4D (Wishlist)

Question

• Inquirer
  • Here's what i am waiting to be possible to do with C4D in near future:

So i am waiting for these features for C4D in some future, maybe far far away in future

(i tried to put these in order of importance by my opinnion):

Character animation:

-Skin & MSkin deformers need self-collision (and self-collision area/"vertex map" painting tools for critical ares)

-Muscles collision (need collision features, muscle collide to other muscle)

-Bones (possibility to create flexible bones too)

-Muscle sliding on bone

-Muscles attach (possibility to attach muscle to muscle)

-Soft body & cloth skin simulation. For example: loose skin and loose fat (with collision and self-collision features)

-Tension & Angle based deformations / Skin stretching extension for tension tag with fall-off features (something like this: www.cgaddict.com - fStretch)

-Face muscles (for creating face animations with muscle deformers)

-"face skeletons" for controlling face muscles

-Sticky lips (or xpresso node for sticky lips or tutorial for inside C4D's manual)

-Sculpting tools with animation capabilities (like Joe Alter's LipService)

-Morph Brush

Shortly (these for C4D):

-Maya Muscle System

-fStretch (cgaddict)

-LipService (Joe Alter)

-Soft body with passive points for rigging

Polygon animation:

-Animation path for polygon points / vertex (also in Morph mode, in this mode it would be also useful to have possibility to add multiple points for animation path)

-Possiblity to edit animation of selected points in/with F-Curve editor

-Possibility to break and create new polygons and extrude them in middle of animation (like doodle paint tool, frame by frame) with fade & size effects (like mograph does)

Vertex Map

-Simple Fall-off animator object (for creating fall-off animations for Vertex Maps)

Simulation:

-Passive points for Soft body (this would make possible to rig Soft body with these passive points and only the active points would be simulated)

-Glue feature for rigid and soft body objects

-Full support for DPit effex (better SDK for developers, with possibility to create plugin with interaction for all Cinema 4D modules)

-Better cloth tearing feature

-Better integrated Fracturing tools with fracturing capability in middle of animation (but i'am sure that Nitroblast is pretty good plugin too for this kind of job), so "Rayfire" for cinema 4D would be nice addition

-Golaem crowd simulation kind of tools for Cinema 4D (or golaem plugin for C4D) (ANIMA has still lots of working to do before it is good enough for crowd simulation, but i'am sure that ANIMA is most easy to use at the moment)

-Rope simulation

Particles

-Thinking particles 5 features (from Cebas) for C4D's Thinking particles

-Particle Brush/Paint tool (for generating particles, also should be able to animate them with smear kind of brush tools)

Rendering

-Displacement for OpenGL

Modelling

-knife tool with Disconnecting/separating option (possibility to cut shapes with disconnection feature)

-Polygon bruhs cloner tool (possibility to clone polygons with brush, it would be very similar to the Photoshop's cloner tool with cloning direction/angle/mirror features)

-Clone on surface brush (painting tool which would clone objects to other objects surface), (PaintOnSurface plugin sounds good but i would love to see it by integrated for C4D)

-Transformation tools (bending, twisting, rotating for selected points, with 3-clicks: 1. click determines the start point of "deforming" then user moves cursor, 2. click determines the length of deforming and then user moves cursor again 3. click accepts the deforming strength) [i know that there is possibility to create group from points / edges / faces and then use deformer for it, but i think it is too slow for speed modelling]

-Extrude brush (it would do the extruding by order of distance, and it would also take care of polygon's angle by direction of cursor move, this would speed up modelling a lot)

-Collision for polygon brush, it would collide to all other objects around which are close enough (smear, pull, normal etc.), (of course this can be now be able to do with collision deformer but i think it would make things faster if there would be collision option in brush tool too)

-New tool for retopology modelling

-1D push tool (tool which would pull polygon points for one direction, world -z direction for example)

-Sculpting tools (displacement with opengl support)

And maybe some modelling features from Rhino3D:

filletedge, chamferedge, and extruding with along by curve (spline extruding with possibility of point collapse extruding)...

Objects melting / optimizer

-Welder (for melting edges to each other with multiple objects for generating seamless edges between multiple objects) [it could be similar to jokermartini's welder plugin for 3dsmax)

Was quite a big list, i don't even know which i have tried to suggest for MAXON, but i think that they wouldn't even listen me.

-thank you for reading

Guest deepshade

There are just 3 features I'd like to see in future versions of Cinema - Faster, faster and lastly, faster. ;)

All the features in the world don't help if you can't use them effectively and for animation in Cinema the slowdown with a lot of objects in the scene is a real bottleneck.

Cheers,

Brian

+1

Then again - I don't feel its right to pay £400-700 to get that fixed, when it should have been up to spec (especially at the 'Studio' price point) in the first place.

Guest dataflow

+1

Then again - I don't feel its right to pay £400-700 to get that fixed, when it should have been up to spec (especially at the 'Studio' price point) in the first place.

when they add/change/make faster its not really a fix its more of an improvement if something has a bug they usually release bug fixes for those unless the bugs are not found until the new release which they still list as bug fixes

• Inquirer
  • I don't think that's the case. You get the same system regardless of whether you are using Pixar Sub-D's or not.

If you're not doing character animation, motion graphics or anything that requires particles then modo is the way to go.

3DKiwi

Maybe, but when i did use same object in C4D and in Modo, i got better subdivision shading with Pixar's Subdivision in Modo.

It was same model (exported with obj format). I tried to use weight control (weight hypernurbs) in C4D for generating same shading than what i got in Modo when i used it's own weight control (weight tool), the result wasn't same at all, so it got matter what subdivison system you are using...

Modo's subdivision looks more natural than C4D's own system.

kosmikal - my understanding is that modo's Pixar Sub D's are in fact the same as our Catmull Clarke Sub D's. The difference being how open edges can be creased or rounded. See the image below. Note that they even call Pixar Sub D's Catmull Clarke in the settings.

modo of course does better edge weighting because you can use falloffs.

The shading difference could be because you didn't change the Hypernurbs Subdivide UV option to edge or boundary. modo uses one of these as standard.

3DKiwi

Guest deepshade

when they add/change/make faster its not really a fix its more of an improvement if something has a bug they usually release bug fixes for those unless the bugs are not found until the new release which they still list as bug fixes

In the strictest sense - agreed. But there's stuff that is way below par in the app for it to be OK for that price point - so its not exactly an improvement - more a catch up.

• Inquirer
  • kosmikal - my understanding is that modo's Pixar Sub D's are in fact the same as our Catmull Clarke Sub D's. The difference being how open edges can be creased or rounded. See the image below. Note that they even call Pixar Sub D's Catmull Clarke in the settings.

modo of course does better edge weighting because you can use falloffs.

The shading difference could be because you didn't change the Hypernurbs Subdivide UV option to edge or boundary. modo uses one of these as standard.

3DKiwi

But i did (i changed it "uv-level set" for 6 level, editor and rendering, also the hypernurbs level was level 6, so did i forgot something?), and it didn't give me the same result than Modo did. But you might be right in that case that C4D has pixar subdivision, but Modo got's better weighting tools. But i will try it again sooner or later...

You would need to post comparison images for us to look at. A subdivision level of 6 is excessive and on anything modestly complex will just bog your computer down if set to 6 for the viewport or slow down rendering with no appreciable difference in smoothness.

3DKiwi

• Inquirer
  • You would need to post comparison images for us to look at. A subdivision level of 6 is excessive and on anything modestly complex will just bog your computer down if set to 6 for the viewport or slow down rendering with no appreciable difference in smoothness.

3DKiwi

Ok. I will try to regenerate the scene when i got time for it.

But what is coming for C4D development... I think that all areas should be extended in every upgrades... Modelling, animation, simulation, rendering etc... But some areas should have bigger upgrades than others (and it can't be same area/arsenal in every time).

Like in the next upgrade there should be big upgrade for modelling tools (i hope lot of them, and i think that modo is great inspiration source for that job ; ) mostly i would like to see sculpting tools in C4D those what modo already has like (image map sculpting), and then modelling tools from modo and last would be retopology tools.

And second "big" thing should be

self-collision for skin and rigged soft-bodies for character animation.

One thing what would be good for Modo and C4D users would be Modo exporter/importer, i would love that feature. Is there already plugins for that?

One thing what would be good for Modo and C4D users would be Modo exporter/importer,

Both have various importers and exporters.

3DKiwi

• Inquirer
  • But Native Modo importer/exporter with animation and model saving would be necessary. Or maybe alembic format would be good option for this job? But C4D dosen't support alembic format.