Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmikal

What Features You Are Waiting For C4D (Wishlist)

The biggiest problem with C4D plugin developers is that most of them look "hobbiers" (sorry) and i gues they are (sorry again if i am wrong).

When you look at Remotion, xparticle, c4djack, dns-plugins etc. They dosen't look Professional plugin developers.

Dpit, jawset looks professional and they have very professional products, but i guess they are originally also hobbiers.

There is only Nextlimit, e-on, and blackstar who looks (imo) and are also professional coders for C4D (i guess).

So there is no much pro plugin developers for C4D, unlike for Maya, 3DS max etc... (they have lots of professional plugin developers) :/

Been lurking in this thread, but I can't let this go by without comment.

I suspect you are absolutely correct in that many of us have a day job and do C4D plugin programming on the side, and in all probability most of us don't do coding for a living. (Because anyone who does probably won't want to do it in their leisure time as well!)

How do you define a professional plugin developer? It can only be someone who makes his/her living by writing plugins. That is unlikely to be feasible in most cases with C4D. Why? Because a) the user base is too low - of all the people that use C4D, most don't buy plugins or buy very few, and b) the prices are too low - and if you make them higher, the falloff in sales is a problem. I'm not going to say c) piracy, as I don't think that affects sales much anyway, but it does tend to have a depressive effect on the developer, if nothing else.

X-Particles has been much more successful than I had thought it might be, but I can tell you that it took 8 months to get to the point of release and the amount of money we made is simply not sufficient to live on. Putting all these things together, it's clear to me that the only thing that would attract people to create C4D plugins professionally (i.e. do it for a living) is a huge increase in the number of users. And that is just not going to happen.

So I'm afraid that right now and for any foreseeable future, no matter what MAXON do to the core code, you're pretty much stuck with us amateurs! (And you shouldn't compare us with companies like NextLimit or e-on - these are big international companies making standalone software, they don't rely on plugins for C4D or anything else to make their money.)

Cheers,

Steve

(X-Particles developer)

Guest dataflow

my guess is Maya, 3DS max have more "pro" plugins because there mostly used by movie productions which hire there own programmers and there only job is to create plugin/scripts to help with the apps short comings.

and c4d is used more by small studios (not all)

"Because anyone who does probably won't want to do it in their leisure time as well!"

You might have wanted to meet my father then, since he did it for a living and in his spare time as well ^_^

Tried to teach me how to once, but a seven year old typically doesn't grasp such concepts very easily, so we sorta backd out of that.

I figure he'd probably have liked to do some scripts or plugins for Cinema, had he still been alive. Ehh but this is going off topic :)

Okay, well I did say 'probably' :)

But mostly, I'd say that in our spare time we prefer to do something different to the thing we work at all day. Mostly.

• Topic Author
  • Been lurking in this thread, but I can't let this go by without comment.

I suspect you are absolutely correct in that many of us have a day job and do C4D plugin programming on the side, and in all probability most of us don't do coding for a living. (Because anyone who does probably won't want to do it in their leisure time as well!)

How do you define a professional plugin developer? It can only be someone who makes his/her living by writing plugins. That is unlikely to be feasible in most cases with C4D. Why? Because a) the user base is too low - of all the people that use C4D, most don't buy plugins or buy very few, and b) the prices are too low - and if you make them higher, the falloff in sales is a problem. I'm not going to say c) piracy, as I don't think that affects sales much anyway, but it does tend to have a depressive effect on the developer, if nothing else.

X-Particles has been much more successful than I had thought it might be, but I can tell you that it took 8 months to get to the point of release and the amount of money we made is simply not sufficient to live on. Putting all these things together, it's clear to me that the only thing that would attract people to create C4D plugins professionally (i.e. do it for a living) is a huge increase in the number of users. And that is just not going to happen.

So I'm afraid that right now and for any foreseeable future, no matter what MAXON do to the core code, you're pretty much stuck with us amateurs! (And you shouldn't compare us with companies like NextLimit or e-on - these are big international companies making standalone software, they don't rely on plugins for C4D or anything else to make their money.)

Cheers,

Steve

(X-Particles developer)

I wasn't meant to say that C4D plugin developers are amateurs... Don't take it too rough!

I hope you didn't upset from my "speak".

Honestly: X-particle is one of the best plugins for C4D. And all other C4D plugins are good too, but like i said:

they dosen't look "professional" or feel like "professional" plugins, unlike the jawset, dpit effex or black star solutions' plugins. Maybe it is because of they have so small and few features.

Sure some plugins shouldn't have lots of features, but when you are buying plugin with one feature then it should be big thing (like x-particles are).

And i have always tought that man can always compare anything to everything, (quite bad translation, but best what i got)...

And sure those standalone apps. are different thing. But i was trying to say that Maya/3DSmax/Softimage has lots of "professional" plugins (like rayfire) which have as much features as big standalone softwares such as Realflow.

• Topic Author
  • my guess is Maya, 3DS max have more "pro" plugins because there mostly used by movie productions which hire there own programmers and there only job is to create plugin/scripts to help with the apps short comings.

and c4d is used more by small studios (not all)

That sounds like it could be.

But there is lots of "professional" plugins already. So, what MAXON needs, is to get those "maya etc... plugin developers" for recoding those ready plugins from Maya for C4D.

"Maybe it is because of they have so small features."

More features and options = More professional?

• Topic Author
  • "Maybe it is because of they have so small features."

More features and options = More professional?

With small features i mean like: example for Plugin which would generate two points for polygon edge with one single click.

And sure, if there is only one feature, it should be very good (almost mind exploder).

So sure, it is more professional if there is more features/options (you can compare Maya plugins for C4D and you will see that they do have more powerfull features, they are bigger.)

With small features i mean like: example for Plugin which would generate two points for polygon edge with one single click.

Could you please elaborate that? I am not quite sure that I understand what you mean :)

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Could you please elaborate that? I am not quite sure that I understand what you mean :)

Cheers

What i mean is:

Which one would you buy rather: Software which has one feature (which you really need), or software which have ten features (and one of them is that what you really need, and the other features seems to be usefull in near future or even in the same project). And don't ask what they will costs. I am asking: Which one is more professional: one feature software to compared to ten features software (and one of those features is same as in the one feature software)

And with bigger feature i mean: mind exploder. It got to be that good.

You all may laugh for me but i think in this way and it is my way to think. We all have our own worlds, and i think that no one should be teased because of that.

There are people who are wrong and there are people who are right, i don't know who are wrong and who are right, i just wanted to show my ideas for creating from C4D -> the best software ever :) Mind should be open for all ideas (imo).

I don't see the logic behind you're statement I'm afraid =/

@kosmikal

I referred to your idea about plugin. I don't understand what you mean by "generate two points for polygon edge with one single click" - that is confusing me :)

Do you mean by any chance edge cut tool...?

Off course that you are right when you say everyone should chose software based on personal preference, it is perfectly natural.

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe