Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmikal

What Features You Are Waiting For C4D (Wishlist)

Question

• Inquirer
  • Here's what i am waiting to be possible to do with C4D in near future:

So i am waiting for these features for C4D in some future, maybe far far away in future

(i tried to put these in order of importance by my opinnion):

Character animation:

-Skin & MSkin deformers need self-collision (and self-collision area/"vertex map" painting tools for critical ares)

-Muscles collision (need collision features, muscle collide to other muscle)

-Bones (possibility to create flexible bones too)

-Muscle sliding on bone

-Muscles attach (possibility to attach muscle to muscle)

-Soft body & cloth skin simulation. For example: loose skin and loose fat (with collision and self-collision features)

-Tension & Angle based deformations / Skin stretching extension for tension tag with fall-off features (something like this: www.cgaddict.com - fStretch)

-Face muscles (for creating face animations with muscle deformers)

-"face skeletons" for controlling face muscles

-Sticky lips (or xpresso node for sticky lips or tutorial for inside C4D's manual)

-Sculpting tools with animation capabilities (like Joe Alter's LipService)

-Morph Brush

Shortly (these for C4D):

-Maya Muscle System

-fStretch (cgaddict)

-LipService (Joe Alter)

-Soft body with passive points for rigging

Polygon animation:

-Animation path for polygon points / vertex (also in Morph mode, in this mode it would be also useful to have possibility to add multiple points for animation path)

-Possiblity to edit animation of selected points in/with F-Curve editor

-Possibility to break and create new polygons and extrude them in middle of animation (like doodle paint tool, frame by frame) with fade & size effects (like mograph does)

Vertex Map

-Simple Fall-off animator object (for creating fall-off animations for Vertex Maps)

Simulation:

-Passive points for Soft body (this would make possible to rig Soft body with these passive points and only the active points would be simulated)

-Glue feature for rigid and soft body objects

-Full support for DPit effex (better SDK for developers, with possibility to create plugin with interaction for all Cinema 4D modules)

-Better cloth tearing feature

-Better integrated Fracturing tools with fracturing capability in middle of animation (but i'am sure that Nitroblast is pretty good plugin too for this kind of job), so "Rayfire" for cinema 4D would be nice addition

-Golaem crowd simulation kind of tools for Cinema 4D (or golaem plugin for C4D) (ANIMA has still lots of working to do before it is good enough for crowd simulation, but i'am sure that ANIMA is most easy to use at the moment)

-Rope simulation

Particles

-Thinking particles 5 features (from Cebas) for C4D's Thinking particles

-Particle Brush/Paint tool (for generating particles, also should be able to animate them with smear kind of brush tools)

Rendering

-Displacement for OpenGL

Modelling

-knife tool with Disconnecting/separating option (possibility to cut shapes with disconnection feature)

-Polygon bruhs cloner tool (possibility to clone polygons with brush, it would be very similar to the Photoshop's cloner tool with cloning direction/angle/mirror features)

-Clone on surface brush (painting tool which would clone objects to other objects surface), (PaintOnSurface plugin sounds good but i would love to see it by integrated for C4D)

-Transformation tools (bending, twisting, rotating for selected points, with 3-clicks: 1. click determines the start point of "deforming" then user moves cursor, 2. click determines the length of deforming and then user moves cursor again 3. click accepts the deforming strength) [i know that there is possibility to create group from points / edges / faces and then use deformer for it, but i think it is too slow for speed modelling]

-Extrude brush (it would do the extruding by order of distance, and it would also take care of polygon's angle by direction of cursor move, this would speed up modelling a lot)

-Collision for polygon brush, it would collide to all other objects around which are close enough (smear, pull, normal etc.), (of course this can be now be able to do with collision deformer but i think it would make things faster if there would be collision option in brush tool too)

-New tool for retopology modelling

-1D push tool (tool which would pull polygon points for one direction, world -z direction for example)

-Sculpting tools (displacement with opengl support)

And maybe some modelling features from Rhino3D:

filletedge, chamferedge, and extruding with along by curve (spline extruding with possibility of point collapse extruding)...

Objects melting / optimizer

-Welder (for melting edges to each other with multiple objects for generating seamless edges between multiple objects) [it could be similar to jokermartini's welder plugin for 3dsmax)

Was quite a big list, i don't even know which i have tried to suggest for MAXON, but i think that they wouldn't even listen me.

-thank you for reading

• Inquirer
  • But that is true that GPUs' are designed for Graphics unlike CPU's.. CPUs' are designed to do anything (any tasks) so that's why they are not optimized for Ray tracing for example.

Sure GPU's aren't designed for raytracing too, but when they are... then it should be immediately used for Ray tracing in C4D (imo). Best thing would be Ray Tracing processor units support in C4D in some future... far far away i guess...

And sure there are limitations in GPU's applications, but those are growing also fastly. CUDA is growing fastly too and then there is OpenCL or what was it called.

In my opinion, GPU rendering is not really viable solution for rendering.

Sure, it can be used as CPU companion but as soon as CPU processing power increases, who will need it?

As far as I know, GPU is very limited in what and how it can process, and there are other bottlenecks in the system such as bus bandwith, so GPGPU feels like having a locomotive where it has the raw "horsepower" but it only works on railroad tracks, in other words it is very limited :)

Cheers

But that is true that GPUs' are designed for Graphics unlike CPU's..

Please define what exact "Graphics" the GPUs were designed for

CPUs' are designed to do anything (any tasks) so that's why they are not optimized for Ray tracing for example.

Sure GPU's aren't designed for raytracing too, but when they are... then it should be immediately used for Ray tracing in C4D (imo). Best thing would be Ray Tracing processor units support in C4D in some future... far far away i guess...

We started to test that concept as early as 1999. Then as now the inherent problems of specific rendering hardware outweighted the advantages. Quite a few companies tried to provide rendering hardware, they all went bust for a reason. So far GPUs are the only hardware that remained, specifically because they are NOT designed for rendering only.

And sure there are limitations in GPU's applications, but those are growing also fastly. CUDA is growing fastly too and then there is OpenCL or what was it called.

Please name the single most influential limitation that GPUs have compared to CPUs when it comes to rendering. Do you actually know it?

Cheers

Bjorn

• Inquirer
  • Please name the single most influential limitation that GPUs have compared to CPUs when it comes to rendering. Do you actually know it?

Cheers

Bjorn

Now i am confused. First you said by yourself that they have limitations as they really have.

But now you are asking me that what GPU can't do compered to CPU. I am really confused.

What are you trying to prove me?

Why don't you tell us that what it can do and what it can't, because it seems/looks like you have more information about it.

What i do know from GPU's is that it is mostly designed for Graphics, it can calculate all most everything what you need in graphics driving.

Also GPU's have some kind of physics calculation, like Havok. The gpu itself includes all code library which are needed for graphics/physics driving and those are optimizated.

I am not professional coder or hardware expert.

Btw. this is going too childish. Can you all behave like adults? Please.

• Inquirer
  • Please name the single most influential limitation that GPUs have compared to CPUs when it comes to rendering. Do you actually know it?

And btw. That gives me think that GPU can be used for every single rendering process that man can ever invented.

So, it looks / sounds like it is not any problem to create GPU powered physical renderer for C4D.

But because you don't have it yet, it sounds/looks like you don't know how to create one.

Sorry if i sound a bit offensive here, but i am a bit tired of people asking vehemently for things that they actually don't understand and don't know the implications of, let alone the fundamental technological concepts.

GPUs were created to accelerate the display of vector graphics. Over time shading and rendering functionality were added. However theses additions always targeted the display in the editor and often enough the huge display speed was achieved by cutting corners. First of all the models and materials had to be especially prepared by game artists and engineers, second there are severe limitations when it comes to the number of lights, the quality of shadows .......

All this means that you basically can't use rendering and display functionality of the card to produce production ready renderings. Instead the basic functions the GPUs offer are beeing crosspurposed for real rendering.

If a GPU has access to all information inside of it's own adressable memory it can act very fast, but once it has to access the main memory of the system (PC or Mac) there is a dramatic slowdown since this data has to be provided by the CPU first and has to be passed through the bottleneck that is named PCI express. Even the fastest PCIe version isn't nearly as fast as direct memory access. SImply increasing the memory on the GPU board doesn't work as well, It is extremely costly to provide a GPU with the amount of memory you routinely need for more complex renderings (>8 GB).

This leaves us with a niche solution that costs a lot of maintainance while having limited advantages. Yes, GPUs and the sourrounding technology are improving, but so are the needs of the users and the renderengines.

So yes, the GPU can do almost anything, but it is simply not the best tool for the job, or at least not in most cases.

Where GPUs actually are of huge interest are scientific calculations, where very complex and repetetive operations have to be done on a limited amount of data. Rendering however needs huge amounts of memory and there are often dependencies in this data that does not allow for easy segmentation, again something that isn't a big issue for scientific calculations.

Another issue is that not everyone can be expected to have one or more powerfull GPUs in the system so you as a software developer have to create two solutions, one that is optimized for CPUs and one that is optimized for GPUs. This leads to a big can of worms since both systems have to provide identical solutions with completely different hardware and of course the development costs are effectively more than doubled.

You simply have fallen for the marketing texts of GPU producers.

I believe that we exhausted the theme here so topic is closed unless Nigel decides otherwise :)

Nope, I agree, this topic has run its course. Nigel / 3DKiwi