Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmikal

What Features You Are Waiting For C4D (Wishlist)

Guest toddster

Modelling tools:

-EdgeSoftening

http://wiki.mcneel.c...s/edgesoftening <-this would be nice feature for cinema 4d in near future.

BIOMEKK makes a plugin called SOFTEDGE for this.....but yes having it intergrated in cinema would be great

Guest toddster

"maintain curve" when inserting an edge loop (silly that this functionality isn't already present)

Better UV tools - MAXON should frankly be embarrassed about the UV tools in Cinema at this stage. R13 and no improvements - really? I can make use of them just fine if I have to, but this tool set is lacking some VERY basic functionality.

SubD sculpting

Body Paint improvements - to friggen clunky. Evolve or die.

Plus one on me for that.....and yes some sculpting would be awesome! Yes zbrush will probably always do it better but for the amount of sculpting I do, it would be nice to stay inside cinema.....I hate having to swap between apps!

The thing that'd help me out most would be OpenEXR 2.0 deep format support.

• Topic Author
  • Every programming team, even huge ones, have to keep the shear size of application and it's features in manageable size, or they can find them selves unable to maintain it. When the problem of maintaining arises, it leads to degradation - bugs, old features, obsolete toolset and eventually application dies. This is especially the case with 3D applications, where diversity and nature of features is very complex.

Creating new functionality is not really such a big problem - making it work as expected with existing functionality is.

But some times those old bugs disappear when coder writes new code (by meaning new features) and some times the new features will make new bugs to the old features. That's the reason why coders should write all (most needed/wanted) features first and then they should try to fix it before adding new "little features".

Modular systems will be more esier to fix, but also modular based codes will generate bugs to the old features even when "they" are in other module. At least i have heard that from many coders.

Also mobile phones codes/software will be written with full features before they will hunt the major bugs and after that they will add little features.

And mobile phones are working pretty good, i don't found any major bugs from mobile phones as much as i found from PC/Mac softwares. So i think that Software developers should make it in same way: First write the whole software (with all major/needed/wanted "Big" features) and then they should try to hunt the bugs and after that they should add little features. Now every software developer (almost every software developers) is releasing new version in every year (and they got little upgrades).

But that's my opinion, let's forget this topic and lets thing more powerful and intuitive features. Especially intuitive features would be more than welcome.

PS. I would be more than satisfied from Self-collision and stretching features for rigged characters:

Like this software: http://kickstand.tv/tools/stretchmesh/ -

in fact, the collision deformer willl only need a self-collision feature with stretching/wide.

Bugs never disappear by writing new features :)

Comparing mobile phone software with any general 3D software is like comparing garden with mountain forest - it is simply not comparable in any way. In one 3D application you can find range of technologies, and a way to build one of them is science for itself.

Sure, we can toss ideas here - why not :)

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Comparing mobile phone software with any general 3D software is like comparing garden with mountain forest - it is simply not comparable in any way. In one 3D application you can find range of technologies, and a way to build one of them is science for itself.

O_o, how about General Operating system vs. 3D software? I haven't found any general bugs from Windows 7 (it was pretty ready packet) , but i do found lots of bugs from 3d softwares. They are as big enough to compare each other. But sure, there is lots of bugs in Mac OS's newest version, just like in old times in Windows world, or have they got any SP update for it already?

But sure, if you wanna compare 3D software to software, then we can both say that Cinema 4D is lacking from Houdini & Maya?

Houdini and maya both has Liquid and fire simulation tools and good muscle tools with self-collision features, why Cinema 4D couldn't do same? Is't because MAXON has no knowledge of these simulations or is it really so hard to code those both systems for Cinema 4D?

It already has very good simulation tools for rigid & softbody, so i think they are missing features when user can't use interactively fire and liquid simulations with Cinema 4D's good rigid/Softbody/cloth simulations.

And i think (my opinion again) that people can compare everything for everything, but sure everybody should has they own opinions. You got yours, and i got mines.

But tell me, are you just teasing me for that reason that you could close this topic?

Even if you are, i will stop it right away.. I won't spoke from this anymore.

So, lets tell more ideas.

So, how many here would like to see: GPU powered rendering & simulation in C4D?

I would like to see it asap.

PS. all what i hope is that MAXON would try to be best in 3D softwares. And all what i am asking is that they are trying to do their best. So i hope only good for C4D, it's unique software (by having best UI).

@kosmikal: Everything you showed in the stretchmesh video is currently no problem with C4D R12, with R13's Collision Deformer you would have

a little bit more flexibility added to your toolset. And all that without any Third Party Plugins.

Keywords are: Cluster Object, smooth VertexMaps, Smoothing Deformer, Bulge Deformer, Bend Deformer

Just try it for yourself :-)

In your user description you say that you use c4d half a year but 14 years 3d software in general. Which one did you use before c4d?

And what where your reasons for switching over?

Guest dataflow

you have to ask this question.

why arent they adding that feature?

there would have to be a reason and that could be money, team, focus on other important things (in there opinion), or all of the above.

you say maya etc... has features that c4d doesnt but its also the other way to c4d has features the other software doesnt.

so why dont they add them.

and you cant compare a OS which everyone with a computer has to use/buy and a 3d app that only a small % of computer owners use.

that brings it to the first reason Money which would mean they have a bigger Team which can Focus on more things.

@kosmikal

I have nothing against other opinions, and understand your position completely. I am merely trying to provide you with some factual

information that could lead you to other conclusion.

Houdini is particle/VFX/TD oriented tool - try to model something in standard non parametric fashion in it and you will soon realize that other applications are miles away. Maya's strong point is animation and MEL. All in all, every application out there has it's strong points and will be used according to specific needs. Most of the things one needs is covered in plugins. For example, if you need fluids in CInema get DPIT effex.

Re operating system - windows 7? Had many crashes with it since it is my main system. Sure, you can compare operating system with 3D application but Microsoft has unlimited budget and resources and it is still unable to create OS that would shine. Also, Autodesk is a giant with huge resources and decided to divide applications into logical categories to be able to maintain them. On the other hand, look into documentation and count how many people are in MAXON dev team. I would say they are doing superb job ;)

There is a simple solution for everyone that needs functionality that is not in their application:

- scripting/programming

- plugins

- hiring professional

- purchasing another application, either dedicated or main package

Trust me, MAXON is well aware of everything and it has fantastic programming team which is dedicated and works around the clock to update and maintain CInema 4D to be exceptional piece of software ;)

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • @kosmikal: Everything you showed in the stretchmesh video is currently no problem with C4D R12, with R13's Collision Deformer you would have

a little bit more flexibility added to your toolset. And all that without any Third Party Plugins.

Keywords are: Cluster Object, smooth VertexMaps, Smoothing Deformer, Bulge Deformer, Bend Deformer

Just try it for yourself :-)

In your user description you say that you use c4d half a year but 14 years 3d software in general. Which one did you use before c4d?

And what where your reasons for switching over?

Oh, thx.. I will try that asap.. Thx again...

• Topic Author
  • @kosmikal

Trust me, MAXON is well aware of everything and it has fantastic programming team which is dedicated and works around the clock to update and maintain CInema 4D to be exceptional piece of software ;)

Cheers

Ok, i will trust you when you say that MAXON is really doing their best. I just hope that they are doing the same in future.