Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmikal

What Features You Are Waiting For C4D (Wishlist)

Question

• Inquirer
  • Here's what i am waiting to be possible to do with C4D in near future:

So i am waiting for these features for C4D in some future, maybe far far away in future

(i tried to put these in order of importance by my opinnion):

Character animation:

-Skin & MSkin deformers need self-collision (and self-collision area/"vertex map" painting tools for critical ares)

-Muscles collision (need collision features, muscle collide to other muscle)

-Bones (possibility to create flexible bones too)

-Muscle sliding on bone

-Muscles attach (possibility to attach muscle to muscle)

-Soft body & cloth skin simulation. For example: loose skin and loose fat (with collision and self-collision features)

-Tension & Angle based deformations / Skin stretching extension for tension tag with fall-off features (something like this: www.cgaddict.com - fStretch)

-Face muscles (for creating face animations with muscle deformers)

-"face skeletons" for controlling face muscles

-Sticky lips (or xpresso node for sticky lips or tutorial for inside C4D's manual)

-Sculpting tools with animation capabilities (like Joe Alter's LipService)

-Morph Brush

Shortly (these for C4D):

-Maya Muscle System

-fStretch (cgaddict)

-LipService (Joe Alter)

-Soft body with passive points for rigging

Polygon animation:

-Animation path for polygon points / vertex (also in Morph mode, in this mode it would be also useful to have possibility to add multiple points for animation path)

-Possiblity to edit animation of selected points in/with F-Curve editor

-Possibility to break and create new polygons and extrude them in middle of animation (like doodle paint tool, frame by frame) with fade & size effects (like mograph does)

Vertex Map

-Simple Fall-off animator object (for creating fall-off animations for Vertex Maps)

Simulation:

-Passive points for Soft body (this would make possible to rig Soft body with these passive points and only the active points would be simulated)

-Glue feature for rigid and soft body objects

-Full support for DPit effex (better SDK for developers, with possibility to create plugin with interaction for all Cinema 4D modules)

-Better cloth tearing feature

-Better integrated Fracturing tools with fracturing capability in middle of animation (but i'am sure that Nitroblast is pretty good plugin too for this kind of job), so "Rayfire" for cinema 4D would be nice addition

-Golaem crowd simulation kind of tools for Cinema 4D (or golaem plugin for C4D) (ANIMA has still lots of working to do before it is good enough for crowd simulation, but i'am sure that ANIMA is most easy to use at the moment)

-Rope simulation

Particles

-Thinking particles 5 features (from Cebas) for C4D's Thinking particles

-Particle Brush/Paint tool (for generating particles, also should be able to animate them with smear kind of brush tools)

Rendering

-Displacement for OpenGL

Modelling

-knife tool with Disconnecting/separating option (possibility to cut shapes with disconnection feature)

-Polygon bruhs cloner tool (possibility to clone polygons with brush, it would be very similar to the Photoshop's cloner tool with cloning direction/angle/mirror features)

-Clone on surface brush (painting tool which would clone objects to other objects surface), (PaintOnSurface plugin sounds good but i would love to see it by integrated for C4D)

-Transformation tools (bending, twisting, rotating for selected points, with 3-clicks: 1. click determines the start point of "deforming" then user moves cursor, 2. click determines the length of deforming and then user moves cursor again 3. click accepts the deforming strength) [i know that there is possibility to create group from points / edges / faces and then use deformer for it, but i think it is too slow for speed modelling]

-Extrude brush (it would do the extruding by order of distance, and it would also take care of polygon's angle by direction of cursor move, this would speed up modelling a lot)

-Collision for polygon brush, it would collide to all other objects around which are close enough (smear, pull, normal etc.), (of course this can be now be able to do with collision deformer but i think it would make things faster if there would be collision option in brush tool too)

-New tool for retopology modelling

-1D push tool (tool which would pull polygon points for one direction, world -z direction for example)

-Sculpting tools (displacement with opengl support)

And maybe some modelling features from Rhino3D:

filletedge, chamferedge, and extruding with along by curve (spline extruding with possibility of point collapse extruding)...

Objects melting / optimizer

-Welder (for melting edges to each other with multiple objects for generating seamless edges between multiple objects) [it could be similar to jokermartini's welder plugin for 3dsmax)

Was quite a big list, i don't even know which i have tried to suggest for MAXON, but i think that they wouldn't even listen me.

-thank you for reading

The thing that'd help me out most would be OpenEXR 2.0 deep format support.

• Inquirer
  • Every programming team, even huge ones, have to keep the shear size of application and it's features in manageable size, or they can find them selves unable to maintain it. When the problem of maintaining arises, it leads to degradation - bugs, old features, obsolete toolset and eventually application dies. This is especially the case with 3D applications, where diversity and nature of features is very complex.

Creating new functionality is not really such a big problem - making it work as expected with existing functionality is.

But some times those old bugs disappear when coder writes new code (by meaning new features) and some times the new features will make new bugs to the old features. That's the reason why coders should write all (most needed/wanted) features first and then they should try to fix it before adding new "little features".

Modular systems will be more esier to fix, but also modular based codes will generate bugs to the old features even when "they" are in other module. At least i have heard that from many coders.

Also mobile phones codes/software will be written with full features before they will hunt the major bugs and after that they will add little features.

And mobile phones are working pretty good, i don't found any major bugs from mobile phones as much as i found from PC/Mac softwares. So i think that Software developers should make it in same way: First write the whole software (with all major/needed/wanted "Big" features) and then they should try to hunt the bugs and after that they should add little features. Now every software developer (almost every software developers) is releasing new version in every year (and they got little upgrades).

But that's my opinion, let's forget this topic and lets thing more powerful and intuitive features. Especially intuitive features would be more than welcome.

PS. I would be more than satisfied from Self-collision and stretching features for rigged characters:

Like this software: http://kickstand.tv/tools/stretchmesh/ -

in fact, the collision deformer willl only need a self-collision feature with stretching/wide.

Bugs never disappear by writing new features :)

Comparing mobile phone software with any general 3D software is like comparing garden with mountain forest - it is simply not comparable in any way. In one 3D application you can find range of technologies, and a way to build one of them is science for itself.

Sure, we can toss ideas here - why not :)

Cheers

• Inquirer
  • Comparing mobile phone software with any general 3D software is like comparing garden with mountain forest - it is simply not comparable in any way. In one 3D application you can find range of technologies, and a way to build one of them is science for itself.

O_o, how about General Operating system vs. 3D software? I haven't found any general bugs from Windows 7 (it was pretty ready packet) , but i do found lots of bugs from 3d softwares. They are as big enough to compare each other. But sure, there is lots of bugs in Mac OS's newest version, just like in old times in Windows world, or have they got any SP update for it already?

But sure, if you wanna compare 3D software to software, then we can both say that Cinema 4D is lacking from Houdini & Maya?

Houdini and maya both has Liquid and fire simulation tools and good muscle tools with self-collision features, why Cinema 4D couldn't do same? Is't because MAXON has no knowledge of these simulations or is it really so hard to code those both systems for Cinema 4D?

It already has very good simulation tools for rigid & softbody, so i think they are missing features when user can't use interactively fire and liquid simulations with Cinema 4D's good rigid/Softbody/cloth simulations.

And i think (my opinion again) that people can compare everything for everything, but sure everybody should has they own opinions. You got yours, and i got mines.

But tell me, are you just teasing me for that reason that you could close this topic?

Even if you are, i will stop it right away.. I won't spoke from this anymore.

So, lets tell more ideas.

So, how many here would like to see: GPU powered rendering & simulation in C4D?

I would like to see it asap.

PS. all what i hope is that MAXON would try to be best in 3D softwares. And all what i am asking is that they are trying to do their best. So i hope only good for C4D, it's unique software (by having best UI).

@kosmikal: Everything you showed in the stretchmesh video is currently no problem with C4D R12, with R13's Collision Deformer you would have

a little bit more flexibility added to your toolset. And all that without any Third Party Plugins.

Keywords are: Cluster Object, smooth VertexMaps, Smoothing Deformer, Bulge Deformer, Bend Deformer

Just try it for yourself :-)

In your user description you say that you use c4d half a year but 14 years 3d software in general. Which one did you use before c4d?

And what where your reasons for switching over?

Guest dataflow

you have to ask this question.

why arent they adding that feature?

there would have to be a reason and that could be money, team, focus on other important things (in there opinion), or all of the above.

you say maya etc... has features that c4d doesnt but its also the other way to c4d has features the other software doesnt.

so why dont they add them.

and you cant compare a OS which everyone with a computer has to use/buy and a 3d app that only a small % of computer owners use.

that brings it to the first reason Money which would mean they have a bigger Team which can Focus on more things.

@kosmikal

I have nothing against other opinions, and understand your position completely. I am merely trying to provide you with some factual

information that could lead you to other conclusion.

Houdini is particle/VFX/TD oriented tool - try to model something in standard non parametric fashion in it and you will soon realize that other applications are miles away. Maya's strong point is animation and MEL. All in all, every application out there has it's strong points and will be used according to specific needs. Most of the things one needs is covered in plugins. For example, if you need fluids in CInema get DPIT effex.

Re operating system - windows 7? Had many crashes with it since it is my main system. Sure, you can compare operating system with 3D application but Microsoft has unlimited budget and resources and it is still unable to create OS that would shine. Also, Autodesk is a giant with huge resources and decided to divide applications into logical categories to be able to maintain them. On the other hand, look into documentation and count how many people are in MAXON dev team. I would say they are doing superb job ;)

There is a simple solution for everyone that needs functionality that is not in their application:

- scripting/programming

- plugins

- hiring professional

- purchasing another application, either dedicated or main package

Trust me, MAXON is well aware of everything and it has fantastic programming team which is dedicated and works around the clock to update and maintain CInema 4D to be exceptional piece of software ;)

Cheers

• Inquirer
  • @kosmikal: Everything you showed in the stretchmesh video is currently no problem with C4D R12, with R13's Collision Deformer you would have

a little bit more flexibility added to your toolset. And all that without any Third Party Plugins.

Keywords are: Cluster Object, smooth VertexMaps, Smoothing Deformer, Bulge Deformer, Bend Deformer

Just try it for yourself :-)

In your user description you say that you use c4d half a year but 14 years 3d software in general. Which one did you use before c4d?

Oh, thx.. I will try that asap.. Thx again...

• Inquirer
  • @kosmikal

Trust me, MAXON is well aware of everything and it has fantastic programming team which is dedicated and works around the clock to update and maintain CInema 4D to be exceptional piece of software ;)

Cheers

Ok, i will trust you when you say that MAXON is really doing their best. I just hope that they are doing the same in future.

• Inquirer
  • @kosmikal:

I have used 3DS max, Maya, Modo, Houdini, Realsoft 3D... i have change the program when i have noticed that it has bad UI, the UI is the head of the program (in my opinion), after UI comes the features... Cinema already have great features but it will need self-collision deofrmer, passive points for softbodies, fire and liquid simulation... I think that it isn't much asked for... but sure, if DPit effex will get full support for C4D dynamics then that would be same as C4D would get good fire and liquid simulation with dynamics support, so i hope that DPit effex will get as much help as they can for getting C4D Dynamics support for their tools which are definitely most advanced fire and liquid tools in 3D world.