Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmikal

What Features You Are Waiting For C4D (Wishlist)

Max and Maya have some great game asset creation advantages which could be added to Cinema 4D relatively quickly. But the real power of Maya and Max is that they have some very powerful plugins, in particular it's the game character animation and game asset plugins that make life a whole lot easier for game component and character animation (i.e. facial morphing, lip syncing etc.) development. Without these plugins Max and Maya would not have much of an advantage over C4D, if any, but the plugins available for then give them an advantage. A strategy that MAXON could pursue without using any development resources is to go and convince these plugin developers to adapt their plugins to Cinema 4D, Since C4D now uses Python that should be a much easier task than before Python was implemented. So far we've had some great plugins provided to us by independant developers, I won't try to name them all because I might leave someone out, but it would be nice to have some of the same ones Max and Maya have in their toolbox.

Thanks for the comment 3DKiwi... Yes, I use the Material Color pass all the time. It works well for dialing back the "original" or "base" color... And, you can kind of use it to select the individual colors if they are different (red and green). But, it's not so great for separating colors that are similar (4 different subtle reds).

Multi-pass is really good, with just a few things dialed in, it could be even better.

I would like to see a dynamic Symmetry feature. Right now, Cactus Dan has that going with his plugin, but it would be nice to have already had this feature natively. I am constantly working with symmetry and having to delete point and polys while using the native symmetry object gets old after a while.

As far as fire and smoke go, I use TurbulenceFD and it works really well. And as of late, the developer has incorporated GPU accleration to help speed up simulation time. Unfortuneately, you have to have at least 2 GB's of RAM on the card, and it has to be nvidia to use CUDA.

And of course the modeling tools. Ive seen tools that 3DS Max has that would be nice to have in C4D. I think there are some scripts that do roughly the same thing, but the scripts dont have all the options like the 3DS Max tools have. But with that being said, ive stuck it out with C4D and ive learned how to model correctly, so theres no need to for me to jump ship and use another package (Modo, etc) to model with, but it would still be nice to see the modeling tools overhauled.

I know that some ones here don't like from that peoples are comparing features but i have to mention that

new Modo601 really sounds and looks amazing. It is also growing fastly (and i mean that it is getting more and more features).

Most of these new features in modo are incredible.

http://www.luxology....tour/index.aspx <-there are "particle painter", "character animation tools with deformers", "rounded edge" "selection tools with tangent pinch" and lots of more cool and easy to use features.

(rounded edge)

(deformers)

http://www.youtube.c...fo=0&rel=0&hd=1 (Tangent pinch and other good tools for rigging/posing)

and there is lot of other good features / innovations.

I think that C4D needs this kind of innovations too.

I suggest people do as I've done. Have both. I've upgraded to 601. This is a pretty big upgrade.

3DKiwi

Guest MichiSchwarz

The edge-shader would be one hell of a timesaver for me. No need for remodelling , juts apply the material and you are good to go. As for the falloff I didn't quite understand it right I guess. When I use a deformer in limited mode I kind of have a falloff already?

As for the other features:

* GPU rendering (at least for prerender purposes)

* Sketch and Toon with multicore support all the way (line computation seems to be done by only one core, guessing what the task manager tells me) -> BIIIIIIIIIIG thing to correct in the future

Gotta love Modo's new texture bomb thing. If C4D did anytthing approaching that I'd be very happy.

Guest drb1981

I have to say that although I love CInema 4D, the leaps that Modo are making are making are really showing up c4d shortfalls. More annoying is that people over at MAXON seem to be ignoring it's consumers wants and needs.

As a cinema user I can't help but feel cheated when they announce upgrades that don't include any significant improvements to the modelling tool sets!!

Guest MichiSchwarz

Found something for the falloff thing: http://www.tools4d.com/?page_id=2143

Is it that what you mean? If yes, the plugin is the way to go ....

Best regards

Suriel

Guest MichiSchwarz

One thing that came into my mind while modelling today: When you have loaded a picture in one of the different perpectives, you have to use the option dialog sliders to position the picture in the viewport. This can get tiresome sometimes - as today.

A cool thing would be, if you could move the picture in the viewport and scale and rotate it there as you would do it in photoshop. This would make resizing and moving easy as pie and you could focuse on modelling.

Adding to that, when you move that picture elswhere, the link to that picture is lost. When you try to save a file as a project, a message informs you that acertain picture is missing. I once looked for half an hour what picture was ment until by accident I stumbled over the perspective HUD. Could be managed with more information to the user that this is not a material-problem but a different kind of picture.