Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmikal

What Features You Are Waiting For C4D (Wishlist)

• Topic Author
  • kosmikal - my understanding is that modo's Pixar Sub D's are in fact the same as our Catmull Clarke Sub D's. The difference being how open edges can be creased or rounded. See the image below. Note that they even call Pixar Sub D's Catmull Clarke in the settings.

modo of course does better edge weighting because you can use falloffs.

The shading difference could be because you didn't change the Hypernurbs Subdivide UV option to edge or boundary. modo uses one of these as standard.

3DKiwi

But i did (i changed it "uv-level set" for 6 level, editor and rendering, also the hypernurbs level was level 6, so did i forgot something?), and it didn't give me the same result than Modo did. But you might be right in that case that C4D has pixar subdivision, but Modo got's better weighting tools. But i will try it again sooner or later...

You would need to post comparison images for us to look at. A subdivision level of 6 is excessive and on anything modestly complex will just bog your computer down if set to 6 for the viewport or slow down rendering with no appreciable difference in smoothness.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • You would need to post comparison images for us to look at. A subdivision level of 6 is excessive and on anything modestly complex will just bog your computer down if set to 6 for the viewport or slow down rendering with no appreciable difference in smoothness.

3DKiwi

Ok. I will try to regenerate the scene when i got time for it.

But what is coming for C4D development... I think that all areas should be extended in every upgrades... Modelling, animation, simulation, rendering etc... But some areas should have bigger upgrades than others (and it can't be same area/arsenal in every time).

Like in the next upgrade there should be big upgrade for modelling tools (i hope lot of them, and i think that modo is great inspiration source for that job ; ) mostly i would like to see sculpting tools in C4D those what modo already has like (image map sculpting), and then modelling tools from modo and last would be retopology tools.

And second "big" thing should be

self-collision for skin and rigged soft-bodies for character animation.

One thing what would be good for Modo and C4D users would be Modo exporter/importer, i would love that feature. Is there already plugins for that?

One thing what would be good for Modo and C4D users would be Modo exporter/importer,

Both have various importers and exporters.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • But Native Modo importer/exporter with animation and model saving would be necessary. Or maybe alembic format would be good option for this job? But C4D dosen't support alembic format.

But Native Modo importer/exporter with animation and model saving would be necessary. Or maybe alembic format would be good option for this job? But C4D dosen't support alembic format.

Both support FBX.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Both support FBX.

3DKiwi

Oh, i haven't noticed that before. thx.

Btw. One more new feature wish founded:

looks very interesting cloth modelling and simulation.

So new wishish for C4D list:

1. Stitch Meshes for Modeling Knitted Clothing

Have any one see this yet:

Looks very cool, especially those quantum forces.

@kosmikal

There is one thing that you are maybe forgetting :)

Introducing new features is not really a big problem (relatively speaking), but making that feature work with existing ones, or in other words conforming them into existing paradigm and toolset is a major task.

Another issue is that many features one wants to see in Cinema (or any other application) are simply protected by patents, copyright and all sorts off legal stuff which then makes it impossible to implement, or there is a certain limitation off some kind which makes it impossible.

Also, maintaining a giant application with lines off code which counts in millions is enormous task by itself, and that's why you can count all major 3d applications without using all your fingers :)

It is very challenging, difficult and requires people with significant skills which are extremely rare.

If you take a closer look at every major 3D application, you will notice that development around them is actually slow due to amount off work involved, and even though there are applications that are emerging (such as Modo), as soon as they reach the complexity off major 3D application, their development will slow down also. There is simply no way around it.

I am happy Cinema user for number off reasons. First one is that Cinema is being highly maintained and it is without a doubt most stable and bug free 3D software out there. Second is that it has steady development rate and bugs are being fixed. Third is, that it has one off the best programming team out there which is very dedicated, and contrary to impression one can get, is fully aware off everything in regard weak and strong points in Cinema. Fourth is that I am very satisfied with features that are already present and things I can't "make" in Cinema are rarely result off lack off tools ;)

Also, I propose, with no pun intended at all, to rather take a look at other applications which are more inline with your needs, rather than waiting certain feature to become implemented.

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

I think a lot of the slow down with 3D apps is due to the core code is old. Re C4D, I assume the reason for no modelling and bodypaint enhancements plus slow viewport speed with lots of objects is due to the core code of C4D needing to be redone. This can't be done over 1 release cycle.

At the end of the day there's never going to be a 3D app that does everything you want. There will always be another app that has something you wish your current app had. Guess that's why many of us run multiple 3D apps.

3DKiwi

I'm not much of a modeller so don't really have take on that side of C4D, but I do use C4D to do a lot of dynamics and motion graphics work, and it was the ease of this that convinced me to jump over from maya a couple of years ago.

I think MAXON could invigorate the development process by lowering the bar for 3rd parties to port existing plugins to the C4D environment. Using 3dsMax as an example, a few years ago the program was quite slow, bloated, and unstable (while still very powerful). Cut to 2012, and the program by and large is still bloated, unstable and lumbering - BUT it now has some of the most amazing plugins for super high quality visual effects work. Hairfarm, Rayfire (I know there are shattering plugins for C4D but rayfire puts them to shame), Krakatoa (rendering with the hair renderer is a bodge at best, and very limiting in terms of particle numbers) and Frost (anisotropic meshing is sweet) in particular.

If they make it easier for third parties to bring over mature plugins to C4D then they can get back to focusing on the core of the program, modelling tools and overall speed in the interface.. etc

Clean Bevel.

The possibiltiy of changing the font size for the Python and XPresso Editor. I don't mind having a really small font while I am modeling, but when I am coding, I find difficult to read the characters.

• Topic Author
  • Ok, i see now what is the problem, and i agree.

Cinema 4D is most stable software i know just like Adobe's softwares.

Modo is growing fastly, and it is not as stable as C4D is i agree.

Also 3DS max is unstable still, and Maya, but those softwares sure have so much features that it dosen't bother the users,

like Houdini, when i tried it... it crashed over and over again, but it really did have lots of features.

So, the problem is that C4D don't support 3rd part plugin developers as good as they could support,

because for an example:

DPit effex developer has said that:

"DPit effex can't generate Physical Motion blur for liquid simulation because of C4D (it dosen't support continuous polygon counting and point velocities)."

And there have been other problems too: for example Samir hasn't get always answer for his plugin development questions from MAXON's support, if i remember it correctly.

So, what C4D really needs is:

1. Full support for plugin developers (plugins' should be able to use every module in C4D: hair, softbody, rigidbody, modelling tools, animation tools, "physical renderer's motion blur" etc.)

2. C4D should be more fast, (i agree that C4D isn't fast enough: viewport, simulation, deformers etc. But mostly the viewport should be much faster)

So there is only 2 things which C4D needs:

#1 Speed up (faster, faster and faster), and #2 seamless plugin support with C4D modules.

After having those things, C4D developers can try to get more plugin developers for creating "awesome plugins" which are needed.