Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest snakebytech

Best Graphics Card For Cinema 4D R13 For Mac

Guest snakebytech
  • Topic Author
  • Hi there,

I am currently having a load graphics card issues in Cinema 4D R13. I am running on a ATI Radeon HD 5770 with a 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Weon Processoer and 32 GB of memory.

I would like to know what is the best setup for Mac OS X for Cinema 4D R13??

Many thanks

Seb

Not sure about Mac but I always use Nvidia almost religiously, with this I've never had any graphic issues with all of my 3d software.

Peace,

George.

"BEST graphics card for Mac" doesn't exist ;)

But yes, I'd go with an Nvidia card if possible.

Two Radeon cards would yield fast results as well, I think.

On another note, if you really want render power for small money, don't go for a Mac.

Of course software licenses will be a problem if you have all Mac licenses.

Guest deepshade
  • Topic Author
  • "BEST graphics card for Mac" doesn't exist ;)

But yes, I'd go with an Nvidia card if possible.

Two Radeon cards would yield fast results as well, I think.

On another note, if you really want render power for small money, don't go for a Mac.

Of course software licenses will be a problem if you have all Mac licenses.

Even being Mac user - have to agree

The new year may bring an updated mac pro - and I'd expect some options on new cards

That's the best you can expect on the Mac platform at present

Other than that - a lot of the slowdowns in C4D are due to the app itself not being able to cope with lots of moving items in the viewports. Fixing that really should now be on Maxons top 5 'To Do' list - especially at the price of the Studio Package.

Even being Mac user - have to agree

The new year may bring an updated mac pro - and I'd expect some options on new cards

That's the best you can expect on the Mac platform at present

Other than that - a lot of the slowdowns in C4D are due to the app itself not being able to cope with lots of moving items in the viewports. Fixing that really should now be on Maxons top 5 'To Do' list - especially at the price of the Studio Package.

Yeah, I use a Mac at work (writing this on a Mac) as well.

We ordered a new Mac Pro for compositing at around 9000 euros, and the system is still way behind the system I have at home which I build from components for around 2000-2500 euros.

I was almost physically sick looking at the pricing of Mac Pros on the apple store.

And for the last five years the eternal argument about the reliability of Mac compared to PC systems has been all but nullified.

The file and memory management in Mac systems is the biggest dark cloud over my head in everyday work as well as not being able to get the right tools for the job without buying hardware for 20 000 euros worth.

You're also right about Cinema's internal workings.

If I'm not terribly misinformed, Cinema doesn't support GPU acceleration as well as it should, and having two GPU boards working in tandem doesn't yet bring anything new to the table, even in PC systems.

What I'm curious about, though, is the system Apple uses to compile Mac Pros.

At the store you have a VERY limited selection of components, but you're still able to select the amount of RAM, CPUs (the few variants they have) and GPUs (even less still).

But you can't select the motherboard, as this I believe is a Mac internal thing.

BUT, we ended up ordering 48 gb of RAM, but I'm still unsure whether it was a smart thing to do, since not being able to see the mother board's specs, I don't know if I still have free slots available for expanding my RAM after the fact.

What I suspect is that the Mac Pro (as all Macs, in general) is a one time deal, and you buy a whole new expensive and outdated system to replace it once it gets old and the motherboard and other gadgets are chosen based on the amount of RAM you choose.

I fear I'll be stuck with 48 for two years because of the choice I made buying the damn thing.

Otherwise I really can't justify a 1200 euro jump between 24 and 48 gb of RAM. I mean, come on.

Guest DTea
  • Topic Author
  • Don't buy memory from Apple. It's a rip-off. Find a 3rd party. Memory is a doddle to install on the Mac Pros. Here in the UK I use Crucial memory (other memory vendors are available).

You could also create your own "hackintosh" using many parts available for a pc.

Guest snakebytech
  • Topic Author
  • Hey guys ,

What is the best Nvidia card for C4D then??

Thanks

Seb

It's always touching how concerned PC users are about how Mac users spend their money. Thank you for looking out for us... :-)

Cheers

Karl

We thought about making a hackintosh machine, but were put off by the warranty and compatibility issues with the rest of our pipeline.

Also, why would I want to make a good PC and use OSX if I have a choice? ;)

If it was up to me I'd send every Mac we have here flying and would use the equivalent amount of cash on a few solid PC workstations and a small farm (right now we're stuck with a Mac farming solution, not the best option, but the only one available at the moment).

The thing I'm interested in most is if I bought 6gb of RAM with the box Mac Pro, would I be able upgrade it with better Rip Jaws etc. or (as the pricing would suggest) does the mother board change to support exactly that amount (which would be very logical in such an optimized and closed environment as the Mac is)?

Or is it that Apple just cashes in with people who don't know what a screwdriver is?

Currently it looks like Nvidia cards are not available for the Mac Pro (Applestore).

The cards and dual card combinations currently available are outdated Radeons.

While on the subject of the Apple store..

No RAID for SSD?

700 dollars for RAID?

What?

3250 dollars for 64 gb of RAM?

Really?

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand Mac users and building machines to work well in the tasks they are meant for, but the fact that Apple takes away the option to tailor a machine for a specific job is a little aggravating.

Buying outdated parts for a rip off price is a little stupid too.

I'm not a die hard PC vs. Mac person, because that makes no sense either.

As I said, I use a Mac, but paying all that money for OSX and some PC parts is insanity in my opinion (never been a fan of Mac OS).

"What is the best Nvidia card for C4D then??"

Probably one of the pipeline models like Quadro, but those are a tad expensive, and are meant to do one thing really well. And you can't get a Quadro for Mac (to my knowledge).

And you'd probably have to ask someone at MAXON, since the power of a GPU or CPU in using a single program is very hard to compare. Different cards do different things well.

Getting a great card installed in a Mac by building a hackintosh seems a bit weird as well. Why not go for a more complete PC solution while you're at it?

The way I see it is Macs are good end user computers. You hire somebody to do a little 3D, buy a workstation and everything is just fine.

But what if you hired somebody to do a specific thing in your pipeline, you'll probably want to make the station do the best it can for the role it plays in the pipe.

A sound guy would definitely go for a Mac, but a texture artist might go for a PC, not just because Mari is PC only, but because of resource biasing too (if a Mac Pro can have up to 64 gb of memory, it's probably a great option for pretty much everything ordinary, but caching and playing back models and animations with tons of 4-6k plates isn't going to be that great on a 64 gb system).

Of course, this is all hypothetical talk. A Mac and a PC are computers and 99% the same.

Most work can be done on either system, the only difference being the user's preference.

But when looking at the prices compared to raw power and adaptability, a very high end pipeline in a production house aiming to do heavy work for, say features would probably end up using PCs to maximise power and build platforms that are designed to do ONE THING.

This of course is not the case in our little outfit here beyond the wolf territory, so our machine decisions are heavily influenced, if not completely dictated by existing software licenses and backward compatibility to older machines (which, sadly, is a Mac interface).

Guest prycedesign
  • Topic Author
  • The new year may bring an updated mac pro - and I'd expect some options on new cards

Dont hold your breath. I think they are spending most of their time and money updating ipads and all the other commercial gimmiks.

I bought my mac through a 3rd party who get in the lowest spec and upgrade everything with other mac certified suppliers. Also install your own ram, you dont even need a screwdriver. On my last machine I managed to save around 3K . Never buy from the mac store, they prey on convenience shoppers.