Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest snakebytech

Best Graphics Card For Cinema 4D R13 For Mac

Dont hold your breath. I think they are spending most of their time and money updating ipads and all the other commercial gimmiks.

Talk is that there might not be another Mac Pro. This might be he last of 'em.

Cheers

Karl

Talk is that there might not be another Mac Pro. This might be he last of 'em.

Cheers

Karl

What's the new system to replace the Mac Pro going to be?

Getting a great card installed in a Mac by building a hackintosh seems a bit weird as well. Why not go for a more complete PC solution while you're at it?

Then what would I do with all my mac software?

What's the new system to replace the Mac Pro going to be?

My guess, if it does come to pass is, nothing. Apple seem to have been on a mission to turn themselves into a latter day version of Sony for quite some time now, shedding all the heavy lifting kit in the process. And besides, it became, by market cap, the most valuable tech company in the world selling kit that can broadly be described as 'consumer' (pro sumer at best) so, much as I prefer my Mac to my PCs, from a business point of view I can't really see the point of them continuing to make the Mac Pro.

Cheers

Karl

Guest prycedesign
  • Topic Author
  • Then what would I do with all my mac software?

I think you can switch from mac to pc without buying a new licence, or you could on older versions of C4D. After this discussion, I am definitely considering making the switch. I do like macs, but you do seem to get a lot more with PC's. P.

Guest prycedesign
  • Topic Author
  • http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/31/despite_new_cpu_options_apple_reportedly_questioning_future_of_mac_pro.html

seems like it could be true. Anyone wanna buy a mac pro? P.

Guest snakebytech
  • Topic Author
  • Hey seems like there is a NVIDIA Quadro for Mac Pro. Would this be the best option for the best graphics card to run C4D??

Hey seems like there is a NVIDIA Quadro for Mac Pro. Would this be the best option for the best graphics card to run C4D??

Possibly not. Quadros are very expensive, but they don't come with any kind of guarantee that they'll perform better in 3D DCC applications like Cinema than their much less costly gaming equivalents. I've never tried it myself but I understand that *some* PC cards such as the nVidea 580 GTX can be hacked to run with OSX, and I've seen posts elsewhere suggesting that OSX 10.7+ (Lion) has some support for cards outside the Apple-specific builds.

If there is an upgrade to the Mac Pro when the new Xeons become available next year it seems likely that there will be new graphics cards (apparently, support has been found in recent developer builds of Lion) - and usually those are then made available to retro-fit earlier MP models.

Mark

Hey seems like there is a NVIDIA Quadro for Mac Pro. Would this be the best option for the best graphics card to run C4D??

No, gross waste of money as you'l be paying through he nose for capabilities that C4D can't use.

Cheers

Karl

Then what would I do with all my mac software?

Exactly. That's pretty much what kept us on the Mac. That, and me.com calendar services.

I haven't done much research on the subject myself, but from a discussion with my boss the other day it seems that cross-platform upgrades are not as cheap as one would think.

We'd have to get new Cinema licenses (2), Vue 10 for PC (from 8 Infinite) and NukeX (which might actually end up being somewhat cheap).

We'd have to get new Cinema licenses (2)...

Your Cinema licence is good for both platforms as long as you only use one at a time.

K

If you're saving "thousands" on the hardware, then surely the crossgrade costs are irrelevant.