Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest snakebytech

Best Graphics Card For Cinema 4D R13 For Mac

Question

Guest snakebytech
  • Inquirer
  • Hi there,

I am currently having a load graphics card issues in Cinema 4D R13. I am running on a ATI Radeon HD 5770 with a 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Weon Processoer and 32 GB of memory.

I would like to know what is the best setup for Mac OS X for Cinema 4D R13??

Many thanks

Seb

Then what would I do with all my mac software?

Exactly. That's pretty much what kept us on the Mac. That, and me.com calendar services.

I haven't done much research on the subject myself, but from a discussion with my boss the other day it seems that cross-platform upgrades are not as cheap as one would think.

We'd have to get new Cinema licenses (2), Vue 10 for PC (from 8 Infinite) and NukeX (which might actually end up being somewhat cheap).

We'd have to get new Cinema licenses (2)...

Your Cinema licence is good for both platforms as long as you only use one at a time.

K

If you're saving "thousands" on the hardware, then surely the crossgrade costs are irrelevant.

If you're saving "thousands" on the hardware, then surely the crossgrade costs are irrelevant.

Lol!

K

In my case, C4D is the least of my concerns. Its Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, Framemaker, Quark, Textmate, Coda, WORD, etc. and a bazillion postscript fonts I've accumulated over the past 30+ years (print design) that would be a complete headache to replace. Not to mention I still have clients using Pagemaker... I'm an old fart wink.gif

I'll just ignore the sarcasm. Problem with living in Finland is that if you want to have your software tax reductable (I don't know the english term), you need to buy it from Finland. And as M.A.D. is the only retailer that sells Cinema 4D at the moment, they pretty much dictate our cross upgrades.

As far as saving thousands, I'd say yes, pretty much. I'm assuming the snide remark was intended as a PC savings pun. Finding equivalent hardware from mindfactory.de was not hard, and subtracting that from the Mac price was not very complicated either.

If I'm not terribly mistaken, a person why uses Windows rather than OSX will find many creative uses for the saved cash.

Why didn't we do it then? Well, mostly because the two guys who started the company are used to Macs and the rest of the building (a separate commercials agency) uses Macs as well. Our server is a Mac, all of our software and plugins are Mac.

And in the end it wasn't my call to make. We talked about it, they called it.

I promise I wasn't being snide and no real sarcasm was intended... maybe just a gentle, friendly dig, that's all. It's years since I stopped participating in discussions about the relative merits and costs of Apple and Windows hardware and OSes.

If it's a single machine that's being replaced, then I can't understand why it would be a problem for your company to replace a Mac with a Windows machine, or even just add a PC to the mix - multi-platform facilities are pretty common these days and file interchange and networking are not the issues they once were.

Cinema is a cross-platform license and has been for several versions, so there is no cross-grade cost. From version 10 Vue is now a cross-platform license and the only cost would be the upgrade from your current version, and you said before that the NukeX crossgrade wouldn't be expensive. I guess the biggest issue would be Adobe applications, which are single platform, and their attendant plugins.

Check ebay for your quatro. I bought mine for $250 on there, when they sold it on the mac store at the time for $1,300. My system is slower, but it gets the work done. As far as rendering goes though, build your smaller pre-vis version at demo size then farm it out. What would take 2 weeks on my computer will take 20 minutes on a farm for around $100 US.

Best official card: ATI 5870 1GB -best hacked: 6970 2GB

Best nvidia: GTX 285 -best hacked: GTX 580 3GB

If you want it to work out the box buy a mac specific card. If you want a cheeper PC card -they still work but you may need some mac compatible  power leads & some messing with the EPROM / Kexts, helper card etc.

Hope this helps

Best official card: ATI 5870 1GB -best hacked: 6970 2GB

Best nvidia: GTX 285 -best hacked: GTX 580 3GB

If you want it to work out the box buy a mac specific card. If you want a cheeper PC card -they still work but you may need some mac compatible power leads & some messing with the EPROM / Kexts, helper card etc.

Hope this helps

With a 'hacked' card would you be able to make up he shortfall between Mac graphics performance and what you typically see from a PC?

K