Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ryuneo

Increasing Rendering Time

Thats exactly what the CB scene is for, it was select from a large number of scenes for this specific reason.

• Topic Author
  • hello, thanks for sending the list through showing all of the different processors available. With regards to the motherboard I'm using. I'm using a ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe if this is right? I did ask amd if the Opteron CPU would be compatible with my current graphics card and motherboard and they said it would be.

I'm also using Windows 7 ultimate.

Thanks for the help

AMD Phenom II X4 945 might be your limit on that board.

Seriously, just google "<your motherboard> cpu compatibility" and look up the processors on there and cross reference them with the Cinebench results.

A word of warning. If you just go out and buy one of those, you may find it won't work in your board without a BIOS update.

I take no responsibility for any CPU you ultimately buy not working, trashing your system, burning down your house or increasing global warming to the point at which all life on earth ceases to exist.

• Topic Author
  • okay cheers for that information. I will do some more re-search before I go ahead and buy the CPU. Don't worry I won't hold you responsible for global warming :-)

• Topic Author
  • I've just checked out that processor you recommended underscoring is just over four points which doesn't seem worth the upgrade... what kind of motherboard would you recommend if I would like a scoring of eight points or above? Thanks

Guest Inisheer

I've just checked out that processor you recommended underscoring is just over four points which doesn't seem worth the upgrade... what kind of motherboard would you recommend if I would like a scoring of eight points or above? Thanks

Really, just a motherboard that matches an upgraded CPU socket and video card. Otherwise, it's kind of up to you. I went with an Asus with 6GB SATA and USB 3 when they first came out. Never had a problem with ASUS. Not sure about there Intel support though. I run AMD CPU here as I purchased a 1055T before I got in to 3D.

Note to AMD: Please catch up. Thanks.

• Topic Author
  • okay thanks for those recommendations. I'll go through these and let you know how I get on. Cheers, Ryan

• Topic Author
  • hello

Well I've decided to go for the below devices to update my system. The processor is the i7 980

in the comparison listings on the cinebench results there are numerous listings of this processor with different rendering speeds from eight points to 12 points. I was just wondering if somebody could tell me what kind of scoring I would get if I bought these devices below.

Thanks again for your help

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-sabertooth-x58-intel-x58-s-1366-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-pcie-20-%28x16%29-atx

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i7-980-s1366-gulftown-six-core-333ghz-qpi-48gt-s-25x-ratio-130w-retail

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/12gb-%283x4gb%29-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-jet-black-pc3-16000-%282000%29-non-ecc-10-10-10-27-xmp-150v

At stock clock settings, no better than the i7 2600k. The 2600k is a monster, it's newer technology and it's more overclockable. Different socket though. You'd need a socket 1155 mobo.

Simple way to check. The cpu in your link is 3.33 Ghz. If you look at the Cinebench list, the 4th column shows the clock speed. The i7 980 at 3.34 and the i7 2600k both score about the same.

The 2600k and compatible motherboard should be about half the price. Spend what you save on an SSD.

The Sandy Bridge CPU's are only 95W as opposed to 130W as well, which means they'll run cooler (and use less power).

And just in case you didn't get that:

YOU'D.BE.DAFT.TO.BUY.A.980.INSTEAD.OF.A.2600K

The i7 980 high scores are all on overclocks that you won't be going near. The top score is on a Liquid Nitrogen cooled CPU.

And if you ask me how you can do that I'll hunt you down and kill you.