Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mezus

Vray For C4D

• Topic Author
  • Hi - I have been looking at Vray but they confirmed they don't have a Demo for C4D so I can't test run it in combo with C4D R13.

Wanted to get people's thoughts on whether to simply bite the cost and go with it or for any recommendations for a mid point alternatives out there.

I run a Mac and mainly use C4D for modeling and texturing for Architecture - I sit in the category of hobbyist not professional. However, I am now doing rendering for architecture purely in C4D versus other programs so expanding my kit but with a limited pool of funds so want to invest carefully. I am still doing a lot of research for so far Vray seems to be the main contender.

I can't say anything about Vray since I don't use it, so other users will have to advise you there, however, you may benefit from my recent review off Maxwell render right here on cafe which is certainly a viable solution.

Just a question if I may - what is making you looking at external render engines? R13 phyrender is excellent renderer fully capable off producing quality renders?

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

I'd highly recommend vray for architectural rendering, just check out the net for vray architecture and you'll get a good idea of the quality possible. It's not a magic wand that will propel your talent into the stratosphere but it certainly enables the artist to get there. The learning curve can be steep at the beginning but any issues you can post questions on the vray forum and you'll get help.

How competent would you say you are with cinema in general? If you're very familiar with how materials work then it shouldn't take long for you to get up to speed.

I do love the look of maxwell, will have to give that another look at some point.

cheers

brasc

Hi - I have been looking at Vray but they confirmed they don't have a Demo for C4D so I can't test run it in combo with C4D R13.

Wanted to get people's thoughts on whether to simply bite the cost and go with it or for any recommendations for a mid point alternatives out there.

I run a Mac and mainly use C4D for modeling and texturing for Architecture - I sit in the category of hobbyist not professional. However, I am now doing rendering for architecture purely in C4D versus other programs so expanding my kit but with a limited pool of funds so want to invest carefully. I am still doing a lot of research for so far Vray seems to be the main contender.

If you're a hobbyist, and you have a limited pool of funds, why are you looking at external render engines?

I'm a professional, and Cinema's native render engine is all that I need.

What have you been able to produce with the render engine that Cinema comes with?

If you haven't explored that fully, it makes almost ZERO sense given your situation looking at anything else IMHO.

If you're not doing this for a living I think you need to be confident that you've pushed your expertise with AR as far as you can, particularly with the Physical renderer, before considering an additional render engine. AR is now very capable, and competence with post-processing is often more important to the impact of a finished image than the differences in the raw output from two similar engines.

Having said that, Vray does still offer distinct advantages over AR at the top end of requirement, especially in the material system when simulating real-world surfaces. But it's a margin, not a guarantee.

Where you might see a noticeable jump in fidelity in the raw renders is with the so-called unbiased engines, particularly those based on MLT such as Maxwell (similar in price to Vray) or the slightly less expensive Indigo. The penalty with these is in render time, which can be substantially greater than with standard raytracers. Maxwell is generally recognised as the best engine for arch viz and product rendering that you can currently buy - as long as you can wait for the results.

Mark

• Topic Author
  • Thanks on the Maxwell review - going to take a look - appreciate the link!

Varanid - in terms of hobbyist maybe I misclassed my use - it's purely that I don't do this for my day job - I do however have income from my projects that nessitates investment that I have set a budget against into the right software and have recently integrated C4D into my kit bag so to speak.

In terms of renders with Cinema - it's good for what I do now. However. I really want to explore getting to best in class for what my budget can support as these are investments that need to last me 2/3 years.

Guest Biagio

I'm a professional, and Cinema's native render engine is all that I need.

That's great to hear, Varanid. I'm primarily interested in photo-realism for indy film, and still early on in that journey. Seems everytime I try to find anything "photo-real" from Cinema 4D it includes the line "rendered in Vray." I'd love to find some galleries of ONLY AR3 renders, or talk to some artists using AR3 for photo real renders. Been googling for AR3/Vray side by side, or AR3 galleries, but can't seem to find a good "pile" of AR3 photo real renders.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Also -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- just because you can't get a look natively out of AR3, rather than jumping to VRAY, could we not also do some After Effects magic to get it the rest of the way?

Best,

Biagio

I should point out that as a professional illustrator, I have little interest in photo-realism.

However the native render engine is all I need should I find myself doing a product vis job for someone at some point.

Guest Biagio

Good to know, Varanid, and thanks for getting back.

I guess I'm -- perhaps naively -- of the belief that AR3, with some post processing magic and artistry, can look as good as Vray. Can anyone tell me why that might or might not be true?

Certainly going to take this advice:

you need to be confident that you've pushed your expertise with AR as far as you can, particularly with the Physical renderer, before considering an additional render engine

But still wondering if anyone feels I'm wrong about being able to get Vray results out of AR3 (understanding, of course, that renders may be slower and it may take a little more time.)

Thanks,

Biagio

If you're not doing this for a living I think you need to be confident that you've pushed your expertise with AR as far as you can, particularly with the Physical renderer, before considering an additional render engine. AR is now very capable, and competence with post-processing is often more important to the impact of a finished image than the differences in the raw output from two similar engines.

Having said that, Vray does still offer distinct advantages over AR at the top end of requirement, especially in the material system when simulating real-world surfaces. But it's a margin, not a guarantee.

Where you might see a noticeable jump in fidelity in the raw renders is with the so-called unbiased engines, particularly those based on MLT such as Maxwell (similar in price to Vray) or the slightly less expensive Indigo. The penalty with these is in render time, which can be substantially greater than with standard raytracers. Maxwell is generally recognised as the best engine for arch viz and product rendering that you can currently buy - as long as you can wait for the results.

Mark

All of your posts are unreadable because your font color is almost invisible. Is it just the theme I am using or do other members see a ghost font also?

EDIT: Apparently it is the theme. With the Green and Black theme I can see the text but with the Blue and White theme it is invisable

But still wondering if anyone feels I'm wrong about being able to get Vray results out of AR3 (understanding, of course, that renders may be slower and it may take a little more time.)

Thanks,

Biagio

In my experience, using comparable scenes VRay renders faster than AR3 with better results.

• Topic Author
  • I am still annoyed that Vray doesn't do a Demo however for C4D - not sure of the reasons/background as it does for a lot of the other applications. They probably would have got my money straight off the bat if I could have test run it. Still looks like the best investment however for the photorealism aspect that is key in my work.