Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mezus

Vray For C4D

But still wondering if anyone feels I'm wrong about being able to get Vray results out of AR3 (understanding, of course, that renders may be slower and it may take a little more time.)

Thanks,

Biagio

In my experience, using comparable scenes VRay renders faster than AR3 with better results.

• Topic Author
  • I am still annoyed that Vray doesn't do a Demo however for C4D - not sure of the reasons/background as it does for a lot of the other applications. They probably would have got my money straight off the bat if I could have test run it. Still looks like the best investment however for the photorealism aspect that is key in my work.

If photorealism is the key aspect in your work, then you try Maxwell, and there is demo available. If speed is imperative, Vray has the edge over both.

I am not a Vray user, but I suspect you have to feel at home with AR first, or similar, easier engine to be able to use Vray efficiently, or at least have some overall experience with biased render engines.

Cheers

Guest Biagio

If photorealism is the key aspect in your work, then you try Maxwell, and there is demo available. If speed is imperative, Vray has the edge over both.

Just curious -- I understand that part of what makes Vray more photoreal than AR3 is it's BRDF materials. Is it that Maxwell just takes the physical properties even further?

One last thing -- I assume that there's not a "BRDF" shader or plugin you could get for Cinema 4d -- I'm guessing that's what Vray is for?

New to the boards here, and just want to say "Thanks" for all the quick responses. Learning a lot reading through the posts here.

Best,

Biagio

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how fancy something is named, and that goes for BRDF's, BSDF's, ZBNFSKLMNS etc or other naming conventions for technologies built into product :)

What is important, is to know what to expect from each render engine. You can get top quality renders from every engine, assuming you know what you are doing. To simplify, any of these engines will do the job, but depending on their strong sides, they will show advantage over other in certain situations. My best advice for new users would be - don't go for a third party render engine unless you know exactly why you need one.

Cheers

Guest Biagio

To simplify, any of these engines will do the job,

Well put, and that puts it to bed for me for now. Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Biagio

If the goal is 'photo-realism' then Vray's material system is much better suited than Cinema's native materials.

What Vray does is to allow the user a deeper, more tightly integrated environment within which to simulate real-world surfaces, if that is your aim. One of the most obvious differences is in the level of control Vray offers over specular shading - an area in which I think Cinema is very weak. The attached image shows the Vray material attributes for a single specular layer, and you can have up to five of these in a single material.

Mark

Guest Biagio

One of the most obvious differences is in the level of control Vray offers over specular shading - an area in which I think Cinema is very weak

Good point, and thank you for the screen shot.

Just in the spirit of the "indy" mindset, say someone wanted to improve their specular shading in C4D with it's current tools -- any thoughts on how some layering trickery or other work-arounds might help someone make their specular shading more real?

Thanks again,

Biagio

Guest Biagio

R13 phyrender is excellent renderer fully capable off producing quality renders

I run a Mac and mainly use C4D for modeling and texturing for Architecture

To both of these points/thoughts, just had a lot of fun looking at A versus B at AM scenes: http://amscenes.com/

What's great is that every scene is both Vray and AR3 ready, with rendered pics. It was the first time I was able to see a huge number of AR3 versus Vray renders all in one place, both interior and exterior.

After spending a good 30 minutes A/Bing through most of them, it's clear that Vray has an edge in most of the renders, but AR3 seems darn close, and I do think you could "match" a lot (not all) of the differences in with cheats in compositing.

There's also a freebie scene there of a bathroom to download an play with, FYI.

As a side note, looks like those were all rendered in C4D 11, so one would think with linear workflow AR3 would look even closer.

Hope you find this useful.

Best,

Biagio

With R13 AR has completely new physical render engine which is as capable as Vray or any other engine ;)

Cheers