Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Phlex

Possible To Render Particles Without Geometry?

Guest Phlex
  • Topic Author
  • Hi there!

Another noob question I'm afraid but still...

Is it possible to render particles as dots in C4D without assigning geometry to them, like in Maya?

I assume if you need a great amount of particles and you just want them to render as dots it would be much lighter on the CPU that way than to assign them small spheres.

I don't think so. If you have a large number of particles, you can turn on Render Instances. This will greatly increase the number of particles you can render. Just put a small sphere and reduce the number of segments. Shouldn't be too bad. How many particles do you need?

Guest MichiSchwarz
  • Topic Author
  • And try to reduce the sphere to almost nothing but check "perfect sphere". Almost no poygons are used, but the sphere is round as it can be in the rendered output.

Guest Joshfilms
  • Topic Author
  • Just render the particles via the hair renderer tag.

Guest SockGardener
  • Topic Author
  • Paul Everett's 'White Lights' might also be worth a look.

cheers

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • or make particles lights

Oh yeah, Visible lights render real fast. Just make sure to turn on "No Illumination"

Guest Phlex
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks mates!

Currently I have a render running but later I have to try the different possibilities and check which one does the trick best for my needs.

Rendering as lights is no option in this special case, I'm afraid, as I need dark dots on white ground (unless, of course, I inverted the rendered clip...). Still a helpful tip!

The Sketch & Toon option looks promising, especially 'cause it might help to have a little trail.

No experience with the Hair renderer so far but I'll have to give it a try, too.

I reduced the polys on my sphere geometry to almost nothing already but I need at least a million particles...

Didn't think of instances, though. You just check the 'Render Instances' in the PShape node?

You just check the 'Render Instances' in the PShape node?

Node? Are you using Thinking Particles? I'm in the dark with TP and XPresso I'm afraid. The instances option is in the standard particle emitter.

Guest Phlex
  • Topic Author
  • Yeah, using Thinking Particles.

What I'm aiming for isn't possible with the standard particle system, I'm afraid.

However, I had to stop my render anyway, thus I tried and checked the 'Render Instances' in the PShape node and - hooray! - render speed is almost tripled.

Thanks a ton!

Will still try the other options later, though.

Guest Phlex
  • Topic Author
  • I'm just trying tthe other methods - Ketch&Toon and Hair.

As I'm using Thinking particles I don't know how to do it, though.

There's no particle or particle emitter object I could assign the Sketch material or the Hait render tag to.

Still possible?