Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morpheus

Stormy Ocean Waves

• Topic Author
  • Hi all.

I need to create stormy ocean waves.

Does anyone have any experience with "Add The Sea"? What are the render times like and does it work with R13? I've looked at the site, but I don't see a demo to test out and it looks to me like it only goes to R12.

Any other tutorials or ideas on creating ocean waves would be very much appreciated as it's the one part of a design that I can't film for real, so I need to make a fake one. I only have a laptop to render on, so a huge big SPD scene might not be possible, though I could use a render farm if its a good oceany setup.

Many thanks

A

Guest Wouter

Hi,

At the top of the site it says that the plugin is also compatible with R13, you can also download some great sample scene's to try and see if this plugin is what you're after.

Hope this helps.

-W-

• Topic Author
  • Ah yes, it does indeed say that it works with R13.

There are loads of sample scenes, but I can't find anywhere that links a demo to try the actual plugin out. I can't even figure out how to buy it!

I find it amazing that for a site trying to sell a plugin there isn't a big "buy now" button anywhere.

A

Maybe check out this set of videos by Al Heck. He got some decent results inside of C4D.

https://vimeo.com/12972558

Morpheus - here is the link to the purchase page

http://www.add-the-sea.de/plugins/bestellung.htm

it was under PLUGINSHOP near the bottom left side of the page.

Guest deepshade

Never seen anything in C4D that gives the level of reality that the Houdini Ocean Toolkit (HOT) offers. Have seen something close on on history production with a tall ship (can't recall project name), storm splashes and awful lot of post production - but nothing that really provides a truly convincing surface (I live by the sea).

@deepshade - Yeah Houdini is awesome.... if you have $10,000 USD to spend and the time to learn it. He didn't say how much realism he was looking for.

Guest deepshade

@deepshade - Yeah Houdini is awesome.... if you have $10,000 USD to spend and the time to learn it. He didn't say how much realism he was looking for.

Living by the sea it just bugs me how bad some simulations are - I'll get off my soap box :)

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I will take a look at all the links. It's a shame that add the sea has no demo as the render time is a worry and it's not realistic to buy a plugin without knowing how it works on my system.

@Deepshade

Yep, I've never seen a good realistic looking sea from C4D either. I'm pretty good with the post-production stuff, so I will have to see what I can come up with. I do have to do a calmer sea too, so I will start with that and see if I end up going down the cg route or not fir the stormier one. Chances are it will be a mix of stuff.

Thanks ppl.

Guest deepshade

@deepshade - Yeah Houdini is awesome.... if you have $10,000 USD to spend and the time to learn it.

I believe the Houdini Ocean Toolkit (HOT) has been ported to Lighwave, Max, Blender and Maya - so the whole package purchase isn't required. Just someone with enough programming skills to port the Tessendorf based surface deformer plugin to C4D (the kit itself is free under GPU GPL Licence)

http://code.google.com/p/houdini-ocean-toolkit/

• Topic Author
  • That looks so good.

So if I understand right, it's all available for free but someone with some brilliant programming knowledge needs to figure out how to get it to work inside of C4D.

Well that aint gonna be me then. :)

For now I am going with the Al Heck technique which has produced quite a nice moonlit ocean already.

post-13193-0-84082300-1332424479_thumb.j

I just need to work on a daytime one for the look and then start to look at the motion of it.

Thanks for the heads up about the Houdini stuff though. That looks like one to pursue for the future as I can only imagine how many people would be interested in that for C4D.

A

EDIT : Just noticed the little Alien head in the top right corner of my image... :)

This guy seem to have done it but it seems he hasn't publish yet.