Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morpheus

Stormy Ocean Waves

• Topic Author
  • That's a very kewl setup to make an actual crashing wave.

A

Guest maat

Zmotion,

Had a quick look at your set up and simplified the model. Using a procedural sea.

It would be good to develop this a lot further.

maat.

post-13847-0-43117600-1332458716_thumb.j

Wave Rig Revise.c4d.zip

Sorry Maat but I don't get it. You took away the rig and replace the materials. Is there a reason for not having any transparency nor a bit of fog in it? It looks a bit dark and dirty for my taste. Thanks anyway.

The best wave rig I've seen was made by Florian Witzel in Softimage. He made some kind of a "force field" that interacts freely with the mesh. Is there a way to do this in C4D?

Take a look also at his other video "Making of 'Milk' - Lighting the Waves" in the same vimeo page.

Guest maat

Zmotion.

RE: 'Sorry Maat but I don't get it. You took away the rig and replace the materials. Is there a reason for not having any transparency nor a bit of fog in it? It looks a bit dark and dirty for my taste. Thanks anyway'.

I was responding to the thread for a 'Stormy' seascape - ie: dark rough waves with white caps.

Just my input though.

Regards.

maat.

• Topic Author
  • Sorry Maat but I don't get it. You took away the rig and replace the materials. Is there a reason for not having any transparency nor a bit of fog in it? It looks a bit dark and dirty for my taste. Thanks anyway.

The best wave rig I've seen was made by Florian Witzel in Softimage. He made some kind of a "force field" that interacts freely with the mesh. Is there a way to do this in C4D?

Take a look also at his other video "Making of 'Milk' - Lighting the Waves" in the same vimeo page.

Pretty amazing looking.

If anyone could implement something for C4D, maybe Samir can sort something out in a future version of Dpit Effex.

A

Could be a nice job for Nitroman :-)

(Probably a little bit too heavy...)

A real flow simulation like in dpit effex or realflow is probably too slow?

• Topic Author
  • I have Dpit Effex. I might try something in it, but because the scale of it has to be so vast my poor little laptop won't handle the simulation.

I reckon Samir would be the plugin developer to make an ocean plugin of some kind.

I have come up with a great name for a plugin in the meantime.

"OCEAN MOTION"

I have made some sea movement using deformers. Now I need to add a texture and the displacement to see what I get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaj6_WyupR8&feature=youtu.be

A

• Topic Author
  • Found a pretty good example here done in lightwave. His description makes it sound so easy...

A

I would recommend taking a look at the making of "de sheepsjongens van bontekoe"

Everything done in CINEMA 4D and in Postproduction. imo extremely well done.

Guest deepshade

This was the production I referred to earlier. A good job no doubt. Lots of post production work (real water splashes added, rain, mist etc). A good foam texture (the best I've seen). But when you look at the sea surface before the post work, it has that rock like look to it which is different to the more natural quality of basic surface generated by the HOT. So agreed - you can get something convincing if you have the people, the post production, time and money. But what's really needed is a plugin that gives a convincing surface out of the box. In cinema that still does not exist.

• Topic Author
  • Yep, I've seen that water before. Great post production is what makes that one look so good.

I don't even think it's necessarily down to C4D, I just need to find something that is capable of producing a good displacement map that cinema can then use for texturing and rendering. The shader itself is down to good texturing skills. The animated displacement is a different thing however.

It looks like Add the Sea was on it's way, but has now been neglected by the looks of it meaning there is room for someone else to step in to fill the gap in the market.

I tried a little wave in Dpit Effex, but for it to really work I would need a crazy high grid cell count I think to get the smaller nuances of the waves.

post-13193-0-62726300-1332929539_thumb.j

A

EDIT: Gonna try out the Maya Ocean shader. Just getting the trial now, looks pretty good.

• Topic Author
  • Made another C4D one, but render time's a killer so no good for animation.

Just working through a maya ocean shader tutorial (though I think the maya render time will be pretty high too).

post-13193-0-91308700-1332935736_thumb.j

A