Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ingvarai

How Can I Make This In C4D? How To Attach Cloth To Cubes?

• Topic Author
  • Hi, please have a look at this:

I come from daz Carrara, and have just purchased the top model of C4D, Studio R13. I have tried for two days now, but am throwing in the towel, I just can't make something similar in Cinema.

This is so straight forward in Carrara. I create a plane (vertex object), and two cubes. Under modifiers for the plane (the cloth), just attach the edges of the plane (the cloth) to the cubes, the "sticks", and run the physics. This took me 10 minutes to make in Carrara.

How can a similar animation be made in Cinema 4D R13?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4S8Mr3IAB4

-Ingvar

Video is showing softbody deformation, not cloth ;)

You can reproduce that video with Dynamics without a problem.

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Video is showing softbody deformation, not cloth ;)

This is probably correct!

You can reproduce that video with Dynamics without a problem.

Great! I have tried for two days now. If you know how to do it in C4D, I am very interested! "Without a problem" is exactly the opposite of what I have, I have fundamental problems making this work, because I have found no way to stich / attach / pin / glue (use your word here) the softbody to the "sticks" - in this case simple cubes.

If you, or someone else, has a video to show, or can share the project itself with me, I would be very thankful!! Because then I would learn how to do this. Before that, what is "no problem" to you is "impossible" to me :smile:

-Ingvar

• Topic Author
  • Here, I have come this far, the soft body plane slides off the sticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oZCsoxvFNk

How can I attach it in a realistic way? I am stuck here. Any help is much appreciated!

-Ingvar

Make the sticks and the plane editable, add a cloth and a belt tag to the plane. Go to point selection mode and select the points you want to be attached in the plane and the sticks. Select the belt tag and click on Set.

• Topic Author
  • Make the sticks and the plane editable, add a cloth and a belt tag to the plane. Go to point selection mode and select the points you want to be attached in the plane and the sticks. Select the belt tag and click on Set.

Thanks a lot! So I did! And got this result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OtETh_vNmU

Well.. I still have a long way to go..

1) The cloth does not follow the sticks when they move

2) The sphere falls right trough, does not affect the cloth at all

3) The cloth itself is waaaaaaaaay to flexible, maybe a question of settings, but I did not manage to make it "stiff" enough.

So - I am lightyears away from what I want (watch the video in my initial post). And I am happy to get more advice! Looking forward to that.

Edited:

I found out about #1, I need to use two belts. I will come back with more when I have experimented a little.

-Ingvar

• Topic Author
  • Ok, thanks to Zmotion, I am now able to stitch the cloth to the sticks, and when I move the sticks, the cloth follows the sticks just fine. One main problem remains, though. I suspect that the cloth won't interact with my dynamic speheres. Is this correct? Please watch the video here, the cloth is now fine, but the spheres just fall through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogV_2ZrMA-E

I am still very far away from making what I want in Cinema 4D, I believe. Can someone point me in the right direction? Do I need to add additional tags to my objects? What will make the cloth respond to the spheres and stop them from falling through?

-Ingvar

• Topic Author
  • Ok, I managed to have the spheres stop at the cloth, by adding a Dynamics body tag to the cloth. So the cloth now has two belt tags, one cloth tag and one dynamics body tag. For the latter, I had to set the Collision shape to Moving mesh.

All this looks fine. But - the cloth does not respond to the spheres, just the other way around. So while it at first sight might look ok, it is not what I want. I want the cloth to respond to the spheres, as well as the spheres respond to the cloth. As it is now, it is unrealistic big time.

I fear I have hit the wall here, and have no more ideas. Have tried almost everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKU9HoZJeww

If this is possible to make in C4D "without a problem" as one of you say, I am very interested to know how! I have my own limited time to spend on this. If Cinema 4D really cannot do this, I have to give it up, because I work a lot with theses kind of dynamics. It is so easy to set up in Carrara, there MUST be a way to do it in C4D too!!

-Ingvar

• Topic Author
  • Am I the only one posting to this thread? ;-)

Like a perpetuum mobile..

Anyhow - I have come to this conslusion:

"Cloth" is not suited for my task. I need to use the softbody tag for my piece of "cloth". Just like in Carrara. What Cinema 4D seems to miss (I am not sure though) is a proper way to fasten a softbody, to attach it to another object. If the softbody had a similar tag like the cloth-belt, it would have been perfect. This is the way it works in Carrara, just like the belt tag. Cinema 4D has "connectors", but they behave strange in this case and I was not able to have them doing what I want.

If you look at this video, you will see a softbody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKFnSAAoNzk

This works perfect. I can adjust the stiffness and behaviour of the softbody to a great extent, just the way I want it. And as you see, the sphere and the softbody interact very nice, in a very realistic way. Problem is - I have found no way to "glue" the softbody to the cubes. This is what distinguishes Carrara from Cinema 4D.

I do hope I have overlooked something! What I need, is a way to properly attach the softbody to another object, just the way the "cloth belt" works, selecting points on the two objects to be attached.

Any comments and input on this are very much welcome!

-Ingvar

Cinema's physics are a lot more sophisticated than Carrara's. They just take a bit more learning.

FXPHD had a course that had a few videos on Cloth in Cinema4D, and discussed pretty much exactly what you're trying to do right now - attach cloth to other objects.

It's been some time since I last used Studio so I can't be of much help other than that. Also take a look at Hello Luxx's dynamics tutorials.

• Topic Author
  • Cinema's physics are a lot more sophisticated than Carrara's. They just take a bit more learning.

I am waiting for someone to show me this. Until then, Carrara can do this, Cinema 4D not.

FXPHD had a course that had a few videos on Cloth in Cinema4D, and discussed pretty much exactly what you're trying to do right now - attach cloth to other objects.

Rezca,

I am NOT having problems attaching a cloth to other objects. If you watch one of videos above, I have no problems at all attaching a cloth, using the cloth-belt tag. The problem is - the cloth does not respond to rigid objects! So I cannot use the cloth for my task, see one of my other videos. What I am unsuccessfully trying to do, is to attach a softbody to another object. This can easily be done in Carrara, but as it is now - not in Cinema 4D.

I do hope I am missing something!

So far you, and at least one other participant here in this forum has told me this can be done. I am waiting for anyone not only telling me it can be done, but how to! For the time being, Carrara is superior to C4D with respect to dynamics. Which is a "surprise" to say the least..

-Ingvar

ingvarai

Quick question for you and thank you in advance.

How are you attaching your videos to your post's ?

With the belt tag you can attach the cloth to the cube.

post-3995-0-08537400-1336899385_thumb.pn