Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ingvarai

How Can I Make This In C4D? How To Attach Cloth To Cubes?

• Topic Author
  • Cinema's physics are a lot more sophisticated than Carrara's. They just take a bit more learning.

I am waiting for someone to show me this. Until then, Carrara can do this, Cinema 4D not.

FXPHD had a course that had a few videos on Cloth in Cinema4D, and discussed pretty much exactly what you're trying to do right now - attach cloth to other objects.

Rezca,

I am NOT having problems attaching a cloth to other objects. If you watch one of videos above, I have no problems at all attaching a cloth, using the cloth-belt tag. The problem is - the cloth does not respond to rigid objects! So I cannot use the cloth for my task, see one of my other videos. What I am unsuccessfully trying to do, is to attach a softbody to another object. This can easily be done in Carrara, but as it is now - not in Cinema 4D.

I do hope I am missing something!

So far you, and at least one other participant here in this forum has told me this can be done. I am waiting for anyone not only telling me it can be done, but how to! For the time being, Carrara is superior to C4D with respect to dynamics. Which is a "surprise" to say the least..

-Ingvar

ingvarai

Quick question for you and thank you in advance.

How are you attaching your videos to your post's ?

With the belt tag you can attach the cloth to the cube.

post-3995-0-08537400-1336899385_thumb.pn

• Topic Author
  • ingvarai

Quick question for you and thank you in advance.

How are you attaching your videos to your post's ?

Just use square brackets like this: (media)my youtube url(/media).

Replace the parentheses with square brackets, and your video is attached.

-Ingvar

Cinema's content browser has animations of cloth responding to rigid bodies and visa versa. The 'tear' option is there so that colliders can go through the cloth and rip it if it goes through with sufficent velocity. If your other objects aren't responding to the cloth then they might not have collider tags on them.

"I am waiting for someone to show me this. Until then, Carrara can do this, Cinema 4D not.

Carrara is superior to C4D with respect to dynamics."

Okay. MAXON's webpage has plenty of videos, again recommending HelloLuxx has very good dynamics videos, the Cafe has an entire review section on C4D's dynamics. There isn't anything Carrara's dynamics and cloth can do that C4D can't do, if not better. If you're not sure how to get it to work that doesn't mean that C4D can't do it.

I don't have Studio anymore as my FXPHD subscription has expired, but I have played with cloth quite a bit and can say with all honesty that yes you can get objects to work with your cloth - even rigged characters. (Which is 97% the fun of cloth!)

*EDIT* From what little I can remember, I do not know if you can "glue" a softbody Sim to another object without vertex maps, but you can with Cloth dynamics. Again, everything that;s going to be included in the sim needs a CLoth Collider tag on it or it will be ignored.

*edit 2* Oh, and if you haven't already, Cinema 4D's built in manual has a large section on softbody and Cloth dynamics and tags. More than half of my problems have been answered through that.

• Topic Author
  • There isn't anything Carrara's dynamics and cloth can do that C4D can't do, if not better. If you're not sure how to get it to work that doesn't mean that C4D can't do it.

Hi Rezca,

Well, the interesting part here is that no one else seem to know how to get it to work! Have a look at the video I posted here in my initial post, my first post in this thread. I can make this in less than 10 minutes in Carrarra, with shaders and everything, rendered out in a couple of minutes. If this is so easy to make in C4D, I kindly ask anyone who knows the procedure, to do the same in C4D, and post the video an / or at least tell me how it is done!

Personally, having read several threads regarding this in these forums and elsewhere, I start to believe that Cinema 4D can not do this. I am not the first to air this topic. I sincerely hope I am wrong, and that it is possible to do this not only in Carrara, but also in C4D! Since there is so little activity in this forum regarding this, I will also contact MAXON Support, to see if I can get this cleared up.

-Ingvar

• Topic Author
  • ingvarai

With the belt tag you can attach the cloth to the cube.

Hi Gregg, did you read the entire thread, watch all my videos?

Yes, I can use the belt tag, and I can attach the cloth to the cube. But a cloth cannot be used since it does not interact properly with the spheres! I you can make it work, I see that you have R13 studio, please post your solution here!

-Ingvar

As said in the first reply, use dynamics and connectors. I don't see where is the problem? :wackywink:

Cheers

• Topic Author
  • As said in the first reply, use dynamics and connectors. I don't see where is the problem? :wackywink:

Cheers

You will see it yourself, as soon as you try to do just that: "Use dynamics and connectors".

I have tried with connectors, yes, but the soft body object does not sit on the "sticks" in a convincing way, on the contrary, it will slide back and forth, move and behave strange.

Again - I am a beginner in C4D, and cannot get this to work. You, and others, seem to be both experienced and seem to know how to get it to work. Would you kindly make a C4D project and upload it somewhere? Watch the video in my first post to see what I want. If I can get access to a C4D project where this works - I would be very happy, and I would learn a lot!

Thank you in advance!

-Ingvar

Did you try looking in the Studio's Content Browser? There is a file almost exactly like the one in your first video (Yes I finally relented and watched, and don't see how that's "not possible" in Cinema. So I can assure you it is possible, more than just possible, just that you're possibly overlooking a setting in the dynamics tags. Don't give up) in the content browser, amongst others.

And again, check the manual!

I'm going to side with the OP on this one and say that I don't think it's that simple either. I've tried several times and I can't get it to work as specified. It may be possible, but I too would like to see how it's done. So, those of you saying it's easy... come on, prove it!

The problem can be summarised like this:

1. To fix the corners or edges of the plane to another object is very easy using the belt tag. But, for the belt tag to work, you have to add the cloth expression tag. If you don't do that, the belt tag won't work.

2. Once you add the cloth tag, the plane behaves like cloth. You can make the spheres bounce off it, but you can't make the plane respond to impacts by the spheres - no 'dents' appear in the plane when a sphere hits it.

3. You can make the plane respond to impact by giving it a softbody tag and getting rid of the cloth tag. Unfortunately the edges or corners of the plane can't then be made to stick to another object. I've tried connectors in many forms but personally (and I'm no dynamics expert at all, so maybe it's my lack of knowledge) I can't get the edge of the plane to be rigidly fixed in the way a cloth bet tag will do.

So I agree that it really isn't that easy, at least as far as I'm concerned!

Steve