Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ingvarai

How Can I Make This In C4D? How To Attach Cloth To Cubes?

• Topic Author
  • ingvarai

Quick question for you and thank you in advance.

How are you attaching your videos to your post's ?

Just use square brackets like this: (media)my youtube url(/media).

Replace the parentheses with square brackets, and your video is attached.

-Ingvar

Cinema's content browser has animations of cloth responding to rigid bodies and visa versa. The 'tear' option is there so that colliders can go through the cloth and rip it if it goes through with sufficent velocity. If your other objects aren't responding to the cloth then they might not have collider tags on them.

"I am waiting for someone to show me this. Until then, Carrara can do this, Cinema 4D not.

Carrara is superior to C4D with respect to dynamics."

Okay. MAXON's webpage has plenty of videos, again recommending HelloLuxx has very good dynamics videos, the Cafe has an entire review section on C4D's dynamics. There isn't anything Carrara's dynamics and cloth can do that C4D can't do, if not better. If you're not sure how to get it to work that doesn't mean that C4D can't do it.

I don't have Studio anymore as my FXPHD subscription has expired, but I have played with cloth quite a bit and can say with all honesty that yes you can get objects to work with your cloth - even rigged characters. (Which is 97% the fun of cloth!)

*EDIT* From what little I can remember, I do not know if you can "glue" a softbody Sim to another object without vertex maps, but you can with Cloth dynamics. Again, everything that;s going to be included in the sim needs a CLoth Collider tag on it or it will be ignored.

*edit 2* Oh, and if you haven't already, Cinema 4D's built in manual has a large section on softbody and Cloth dynamics and tags. More than half of my problems have been answered through that.

• Topic Author
  • There isn't anything Carrara's dynamics and cloth can do that C4D can't do, if not better. If you're not sure how to get it to work that doesn't mean that C4D can't do it.

Hi Rezca,

Well, the interesting part here is that no one else seem to know how to get it to work! Have a look at the video I posted here in my initial post, my first post in this thread. I can make this in less than 10 minutes in Carrarra, with shaders and everything, rendered out in a couple of minutes. If this is so easy to make in C4D, I kindly ask anyone who knows the procedure, to do the same in C4D, and post the video an / or at least tell me how it is done!

Personally, having read several threads regarding this in these forums and elsewhere, I start to believe that Cinema 4D can not do this. I am not the first to air this topic. I sincerely hope I am wrong, and that it is possible to do this not only in Carrara, but also in C4D! Since there is so little activity in this forum regarding this, I will also contact MAXON Support, to see if I can get this cleared up.

-Ingvar

• Topic Author
  • ingvarai

With the belt tag you can attach the cloth to the cube.

Hi Gregg, did you read the entire thread, watch all my videos?

Yes, I can use the belt tag, and I can attach the cloth to the cube. But a cloth cannot be used since it does not interact properly with the spheres! I you can make it work, I see that you have R13 studio, please post your solution here!

-Ingvar

As said in the first reply, use dynamics and connectors. I don't see where is the problem? :wackywink:

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • As said in the first reply, use dynamics and connectors. I don't see where is the problem? :wackywink:

Cheers

You will see it yourself, as soon as you try to do just that: "Use dynamics and connectors".

I have tried with connectors, yes, but the soft body object does not sit on the "sticks" in a convincing way, on the contrary, it will slide back and forth, move and behave strange.

Again - I am a beginner in C4D, and cannot get this to work. You, and others, seem to be both experienced and seem to know how to get it to work. Would you kindly make a C4D project and upload it somewhere? Watch the video in my first post to see what I want. If I can get access to a C4D project where this works - I would be very happy, and I would learn a lot!

Thank you in advance!

-Ingvar

Did you try looking in the Studio's Content Browser? There is a file almost exactly like the one in your first video (Yes I finally relented and watched, and don't see how that's "not possible" in Cinema. So I can assure you it is possible, more than just possible, just that you're possibly overlooking a setting in the dynamics tags. Don't give up) in the content browser, amongst others.

And again, check the manual!

I'm going to side with the OP on this one and say that I don't think it's that simple either. I've tried several times and I can't get it to work as specified. It may be possible, but I too would like to see how it's done. So, those of you saying it's easy... come on, prove it!

The problem can be summarised like this:

1. To fix the corners or edges of the plane to another object is very easy using the belt tag. But, for the belt tag to work, you have to add the cloth expression tag. If you don't do that, the belt tag won't work.

2. Once you add the cloth tag, the plane behaves like cloth. You can make the spheres bounce off it, but you can't make the plane respond to impacts by the spheres - no 'dents' appear in the plane when a sphere hits it.

3. You can make the plane respond to impact by giving it a softbody tag and getting rid of the cloth tag. Unfortunately the edges or corners of the plane can't then be made to stick to another object. I've tried connectors in many forms but personally (and I'm no dynamics expert at all, so maybe it's my lack of knowledge) I can't get the edge of the plane to be rigidly fixed in the way a cloth bet tag will do.

So I agree that it really isn't that easy, at least as far as I'm concerned!

Steve

I haven't used Studio in over a year so I can't say if I had an easy time of it or if it was hell on Earth for me. I imagine you migh tbe able to "cheat" a bit and have the softbody affected only by a specific region, like with a vertex map (if it's possible with softbody sims, I know you can with cloth) and have the completely rigid/unaffected areas hidden inside or very close to the objects he wants "attached" to. Another option might be having the objects attached actually modeled in, and use cloth for the "soft" part. Add a vertex map to prevent the rest of the model from being cloth-ified and then adjust the cloth tag settings to make it more 'rigid' and not sag as much.

I know I had some problems with dynamics when I first started, but I never once believed Cinema couldn't do something, I always believed I myself wasn't capable of it ^_^;

Maybe the other reason I'm thinking it's easier than he's making it out to be (aka "Can't be done at all") is that I could have sworn I've seen something similar done before. =/

• Topic Author
  • I'm going to side with the OP on this one and say that I don't think it's that simple either. I've tried several times and I can't get it to work as specified. It may be possible, but I too would like to see how it's done. So, those of you saying it's easy... come on, prove it!

Hi spedler :wackywink:

Finally some support here, thank you! Yes, I would like to see it done too. Not only would it be difficult, I think it is impossible in Cinema, provided we talk about normal procedures.

The problem can be summarised like this:

Which I have tried myself in several posts here. Well, now we are at least two, who see it this way.

You can make the spheres bounce off it, but you can't make the plane respond to impacts by the spheres - no 'dents' appear in the plane when a sphere hits it.

Precisely!!!

I've tried connectors in many forms but personally (and I'm no dynamics expert at all, so maybe it's my lack of knowledge) I can't get the edge of the plane to be rigidly fixed in the way a cloth bet tag will do.

Exactly my experience too!

I start to believe that MAXON has forgotten to implement certain parts of the "bullets" engine. There should be yet another tag for the sotfbody object, corresponding to the cloth belt tag. Since daz Carrara has implemented it, the API must be there, as far as I can understand it. No having a proper way to attach softbody elements.. At this level, and at this price, it is unforgiving in my humble opinion.

Well, here is yet another animation I have made, in Carrara. Normally, it would have been child's play in Cinema, or at least one might believe it. As it is now, it seems practically impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x70mKxQ6b4k

-Ingvar

@ingvarai - You are starting to annoy the heck out of me for some reason. Here is a quick proof of concept for what you are looking to do. All was done with dynamics, soft body and rigid, not cloth and uses connectors (as HSrdelic mentioned) for keeping the soft body attatched to the sticks as they move. You have been given one great piece of advice. Read the help manual. It is the best help file I have ever seen. Right click on anything to bring up the help for it. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to do that in AE since I bought it last month.

[media=]

"Read the help manual"

Gee, I wonder why I didn't suggest that? >_>

Well, given he is coming from Carrara, I suppose he doesn't think that Cinema's Help Manual is any better off than Carrara's. Carrara's manual is infamously lacking in almost every aspect, so folks are pretty much left to their own tinkering or the aid of forum dwellers.

I'm not sure if he even installed the manual (Heck, I was a bit confused about that on my first dive into Cinema), but he should - especially if he's got Studio. Something that big, you'd be lost without it.

*sigh* Frustration aside, I hope this solves his problem he was having.