Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ingvarai

How Can I Make This In C4D? How To Attach Cloth To Cubes?

• Topic Author
  • Hi everybody,

I have been "out of office" a week, but now I am back with a video explaining my issues regarding this topic. I have also attached a ZIP file containing two projects, and a notes.txt file to explain the content.

Two interesting things happened, first I got a project from someone over at the Creative Cow forum, this project actually works! :-)

But it does not solve my problems in general, which is how to connect softbodies to other objects. The second interesting thing is that I wrote MAXON Support, and they say that connecting softbodies using connectors won't work. They recommend me to use a cloth instead. But the cloth won't work either, since it does not respond to rigid objects!

So to sum it up, it looks like Cinema 4D here has a real shortcoming, which is extremely disappointing to me. I say "looks" because I remain curious to what extent I might have overlooked or misunderstood something.

All comments and inputs contributing to becoming more knowledgeable about this topic are most welcome! Comments claiming this and that can be made, with no further explanation (or file attachments) are less welcome..

So - attached are two C4D projects.

And here is the video, I am not a native English speaker, but hopefully you will understand most of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JWptHSHzA0

-Ingvar

cinema4d-softbody-connectors.zip

ingvarai, I can understand your frustration, but what HSredlic and baramdo are telling you is exactly correct. I was trying to upload a video from vimeo, but it is taking forever. Anyway, i am pretty new to C4D as well, but what you want to do can be done in C4D. Because I was able to do it…with help! The process is involved but certainly not arcane, and Tim Clapham lays it all out very simply in his dynamics series. And it works awesome. It is a folding deck chair (that actually folds) with soft and hard dynamics all connected together. In my animation I even have the chair fall and spheres bounce off the material of the chair. Yes, you will have to buy the tutorials, but if you are serious about learning this stuff and using it in your work as many on this forum do, it is a great investment. Trust me when I tell you, this is very involved, and it would take forever to post all the directions you are asking for and 3Dkiwi would probably have to shut down the thread from too many posts. if you can accomplish this easier in the other software, Carrera or whatever, that is probably what you should do.

I am not sure why MAXON would have told you that you can't use connectors with softbodies, but HSrdelic, baramdo, and Tim Clapham made it work. I hope this is okay to tell you that Tim Clapham's tutorials can be found at HelloLuxx. And you should check out HSrdelics tutorials as well at Vertex Pusher, and 3DKiwi's body paint tutorials that are awesome! Okay, this is starting to sound like an ad!

All the best and hang in there!

• Topic Author
  • Hi airbush!

Finally a reasonable reply here, thanks a whole bunch! The reason I wanted to move from low-cost Carrara to high-end Cinema 4D is the user interface. I can accomplish a lot in Carrara, but as soon as things get complicated, the time consumed making things work amounts to astronomical figures. The user interface in Carrara is what prevents it being used for productive work. The UI in C4D on the other hand is just great, I love it.

Nothing would make me me happy than having things work in C4D! Maybe the folks at MAXON are not familiar with what can be done, but I do find it strange that they tell me things are not feasible, when they, according to you, are. Besides of this, It is new to me that these things need to be kept a "secret", over in the Carrara forums folks willingly share projects and knowledge. Ok, I understand there is a lot of work behind the tutors. In any case I need to see it work, with my own eyes, then I can purchase the tutors. Can you please provide a link to the animation you mention? Where "the chair fall and spheres bounce off the material of the chair".

Another question, is this dynamics stuff rocket science in C4D? As you saw in my video, I can set this up in a few minutes in Carrara. For example, is it straight forward to make a similar animation in C4D, the animation I have where the softbody is attached to a stick, and also has a sphere attached to it? Or is it only feasible after having adjusted and tweaked and fine tuned a lot?

I purchased Cinema 4D to get things done, fed up with the awkward user interface in Carrara. But if making animations in C4D really requires tutors so complicated, using techniques special that even the MAXON support team and developers do not know about them, I am in doubt..

Again, thanks for your response!

-Ingvar

https://vimeo.com/42778957

I still can't get video to show up in post. aagghhhh!

I wouldn't say it is complicated to someone who has a good working knowledge of dynamics and connectors inside C4D, but I am coming from an illustrator/airbrush background, to photoshop 15 years ago, and had never touched a 3D program until a couple years ago with Vue. Then less than two years ago I purchased C4D, my first real 3D program. So to me, dynamics and constraints and all that stuff was like Chinese! I had to adopt a whole new way of thinking, so to me, it seemed a bit complicated. But you have to understand, some of that complication comes from the fact that C4D can do so much, and gives the operator so much more control over the outcome. So there may be a bit more complexity to the system, to setting up dynamics like you are trying to do, but to guys like Tim Clapham, 3DKiwi, HSrdelic and so on, it isn't complex at all, just is just a big sandbox to play in for them. For them it would be limiting to have less control and complexity than C4D offers, so to them it isn't really complex. I hope that makes sense.

In other words, to me a jet propulsion engine would be ridiculously complex, but to an mechanical/aeronautical engineer, it would be as simple as 2+2.

all the best with your project!!

• Topic Author
  • Maybe I can :D

http://vimeo.com/42778957

Hi airbusch, thanks for the link!

When looking at this video, I think this chair uses a cloth, not a softbody. The reason I think this, is that I do not see any response from the spheres landing on the chair. I see no dents in the softbody / cloth. So this won't help me much. I myself can make this animation in C4D in a few minutes, using the cloth tag. For some purposes, this is ok. But this is not what I am after. I am after the softbody / cloth responding to other objects. Can you confirm that you used a cloth? Or that you used a softbody?

-Ingvar

I can definitely confirm that the material is a softbody, if you can show me how in the heck you got my video posted there!. I know you explained it earlier, but I tried it and it didn't work for me. This is how frustrating instructions can be–works for one guy and not another! aagghhh!

Anyway, in the tutorials, Tim only uses regular dynamics, no spline dynamics and no cloth. The tutorials are just about dynamics, even though he says that some of these things can be accomplsihed with cloth or spline dynamics, he just doesn't use them in these tutorials.

here is a screenshot of the object manager from that animation. You could probably get dents by changing soft body parameters.

I just adjusted the custom mass on the spheres and now I get indents where spheres hit material. Also, you will see that when the balls fall off the chair, they roll across the floor. everything dynamic. There are many parameters inside the soft body tag and I didn't even mess around with those, but you could spend hours doing it till you get what you want. I'll post link to video when it is done uploading to my cheapy free account on vimeo!

• Topic Author
  • Hi again!

Yes, things start to get interesting, thanks a lot for the image you posted!

I have managed to use connectors now, using select points. I tried that before, no success, but now it seems to work better. I will also post more videos here when I have more results to show. The thought that all I imagine regarding this can be done in C4D is thrilling, that is what I want.

About embedding video into your posts - use Notepad! Silly, but simple. I think the forum app used here is getting "smart" when pasting inn URLs, that's why it won't work. So what I do when I want to embed video - I write my message in Notepad, and finally paste inn the whole content in one operation. Then it works.

To repeat, write like this {media}my-fantastic-video-url{/media}

Note: Use square brackets, not curly.

-Ingvar

https://vimeo.com/42787047

I am not familiar with notepad at all, so I guess it will have to go this way. But thanks anyway and good luck with your projects.