Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ingvarai

How Can I Make This In C4D? How To Attach Cloth To Cubes?

I can definitely confirm that the material is a softbody, if you can show me how in the heck you got my video posted there!. I know you explained it earlier, but I tried it and it didn't work for me. This is how frustrating instructions can be–works for one guy and not another! aagghhh!

Anyway, in the tutorials, Tim only uses regular dynamics, no spline dynamics and no cloth. The tutorials are just about dynamics, even though he says that some of these things can be accomplsihed with cloth or spline dynamics, he just doesn't use them in these tutorials.

here is a screenshot of the object manager from that animation. You could probably get dents by changing soft body parameters.

I just adjusted the custom mass on the spheres and now I get indents where spheres hit material. Also, you will see that when the balls fall off the chair, they roll across the floor. everything dynamic. There are many parameters inside the soft body tag and I didn't even mess around with those, but you could spend hours doing it till you get what you want. I'll post link to video when it is done uploading to my cheapy free account on vimeo!

• Topic Author
  • Hi again!

Yes, things start to get interesting, thanks a lot for the image you posted!

I have managed to use connectors now, using select points. I tried that before, no success, but now it seems to work better. I will also post more videos here when I have more results to show. The thought that all I imagine regarding this can be done in C4D is thrilling, that is what I want.

About embedding video into your posts - use Notepad! Silly, but simple. I think the forum app used here is getting "smart" when pasting inn URLs, that's why it won't work. So what I do when I want to embed video - I write my message in Notepad, and finally paste inn the whole content in one operation. Then it works.

To repeat, write like this {media}my-fantastic-video-url{/media}

Note: Use square brackets, not curly.

-Ingvar

https://vimeo.com/42787047

I am not familiar with notepad at all, so I guess it will have to go this way. But thanks anyway and good luck with your projects.

• Topic Author
  • https://vimeo.com/42787047

I am not familiar with notepad at all, so I guess it will have to go this way. But thanks anyway and good luck with your projects.

You can use any text editor, as long as it does not format text. On the Mac I do not know what the Notepad equivalent is called.

Thanks for the new video! Yes, it is obvious that the spheres interact with he softbody. Looks good! I notice that the softbody slides a little on the top, but that is maybe only me nitpicking..

-Ingvar

Well I put down my popcorn just long enough to learn some stuff reading this thread. Great stuff, good times. Now I think we've got that balls landing on cloth segment of animation covered, excellent. Money In The Bank.

• Topic Author
  • Well I put down my popcorn just long enough to learn some stuff reading this thread. Great stuff, good times. Now I think we've got that balls landing on cloth segment of animation covered, excellent.

This thread is not about the interaction between the softbody and other objects (spheres), which we all know work out of the box. I started this thread to find out how to attach a softbody to another object. The folks here tell me to a) use connectors, b) read the help files, c) purchase certain tutorials. And MAXON Support tells me it is not feasible, in an e-mail. But in this thread there has been no real technical discussion on the topic in question, no one has provided links / projects samples showing me how it really is supposed to be carried out. I am still having BIG problems attaching a sofbody to a rigid object and animating it. And I am still looking for a forum with C4D users who are willing to share their knowledge with me. If such knowledge is "top secret", this forum is not the right one for me. So far, MAXON Support "wins", by telling me it is not feasible.

-Ingvar

Man, I am so sorry to hear you are still having problems with this. Not sure where you are with this, but i can tell you that the most important settings you need to look at after you have connected your stuff together are in the Project settings (crtl D for PC) under Expert. Because the dynamics engine has to calculate so much info for this kind of softbody/rigidbody simulation, you will have to play with the "steps per frame" and the "maximum solver iterations per step", upping them gradually until the simulation reacts the way you want it to. Try doubling them at first.

A couple of other things that greatly affect this kind of set up is int he dynamics tag itself. Set the bounce way down, maybe 1%, and the friction way up, maybe 100%, then play around with the self collision parameters. click the Use box and lower the collision distance until it reacts the way you want.

Also, in the Fixed Connectors parameter, you want to look at your region of influence (which you get when you use a point selection tag) and set that pretty low. The region of influence determines how many points across the cloth will be affected by the connector. So if it's high, much of you cloth will be stiff. You want to keep it low so only the points in your selection will hold to the rigid body. Also, set you shape conservation pretty high. You can go into the tens of thousands with this. If you adjust all these parameters one at a time, you should see marked results for your efforts.

I would start with the connector settings first, then the dynamics expert settings, then the actual dynamics tag.

It's a lot of playing around with all these parameters, as well as the softbody parameters, but you'll get there.

Hope that helps. Have fun with this!

• Topic Author
  • airbusch,

THIS is what I call assistance! Thanks a lot for his info, way better than "read the help files" ;)

> It's a lot of playing around with all these parameters,

> as well as the softbody parameters, but you'll get there

I like to play, but I also like results.. Well, I am playing with it now, and I am making progress. Will come back with a report, when I have somthing to show! Keep up your good attitude and willingness to help, it sure is appreciated!

-Ingvar

• Topic Author
  • Hi airbusch and everyone else,

some people are certainly tired of this thread, so I will stop posting here soon.

But I would like to give the knowledgeable here a last challenge. Those who still claim it is possible to attach a softbody to a rigid object, and animate it in a realistic way - yes, is is possible, in some cases. But only with a LOT of work, tweaking all kinds of values and settings. And you spend time doing it, LOTS of valuable time.

I have attached I very simple project I have given up in Cinema 4D R13. I have spent almost two hours trying to do it, but am now throwing in the towel. This kind of dynamic animation can be made in 5 minutes in daz Carrara 8 Pro, it just works out of the box.

Here is how I want it to look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELB745kVOus

And I have attached the Cinema 4D project.

Please, if you really know how to do this in Cinema, could you be so kind, and make the right corrections, and then upload the project again, here? Because if this is not doable, Cinema 4D is not the right animation tool for me.

Thanks a lot in advance!

pole-with-softbody.zip

Ha, ha, ha ha. Now that one is the one to do with cloth, belting, and a cloth collider tag on the pole. Too funny my friend, too funny.

After having just read the entire thread, I must sympathize with Ingvarai's frustration. Having been told it is a simple matter, no "simple" example has been posted. MAXON's reply suggests it is not so simple. It would serve the community to bring this issue to a creditable conclusion by a "simple" example of how it is actually done in C4D.