Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ingvarai

How Can I Make This In C4D? How To Attach Cloth To Cubes?

• Topic Author
  • ???

i think you misunderstood my post.

unless im misunderstanding yours

Ok, maybe I am unclear. What I mean: The purpose of a user forum should be to share knowledge, and if such does not exist, to combine efforts into gaining such knowledge. As it is now, some people do have the knowledge, they do post here, but they have reasons not to share their knowledge. My own experience is: The more knowledge I share, the more I learn. Those who make money from tutorials are afraid that the secretcs will be revealed, making their tutors less interesting. I think it is the other way around.

-Ingvar

the few people on this thread not willing to give there knowledge is not how c4dcafe normally is.

i dont understand why there not posting there efforts either

Posting the scene files no, but some people did try and give some thoughts on to how he could solve it or point towards resources where he could learn more about this part of dynamics he is delving into (Hello Luxx, FXPHD, Cinivercity, etc).

I myself can't upload anything because I don't have Studio.

Ok, then we are two. There are several ways to learn C4D. Read the help files, puchase C4D tutors, watch free C4D tutors and discuss in user forums. We all know this. So when the advice given here is "read the help files" and / or purchase X, Y or Z tutorial - it somehow renders the purpose of the forum moot.

-Ingvar

From my experience, I've been directed to tutorials or resources relevant to what I'm trying to accomplish FIRST, because often it's apparent from my question or from the results I have to show at the time, that I have no experience whatsoever in the field I am tinkering in. That way I'd have the knowledge under my belt for the next time I start tinkering with those tools or plugins again. You said yourself you'd never used Cinema's Dynamics before, so people directed you to tutorials on the matter. You might learn a bit by having someone do all the work for you and fix your file before handing it back and looking at what they did, but you'd learna lot more by receving training first hand.

If I kept having a problem with rigging or particles (Neither of which I am very good at) and continuously had someone else do it for me, I might as well just pay people to do it every time and not bother with it myself. If I go out and learn how to do it first, I'd have much less questions to ask, and a lot less problems would arise unless I stepped into territory not often visited by most people.

• Topic Author
  • From my experience, I've been directed to tutorials or resources relevant to what I'm trying to accomplish FIRST, because often it's apparent from my question or from the results I have to show at the time, that I have no experience whatsoever in the field I am tinkering in. That way I'd have the knowledge under my belt for the next time I start tinkering with those tools or plugins again. You said yourself you'd never used Cinema's Dynamics before, so people directed you to tutorials on the matter.

Ok, I stand corrected on this one. You are right, links to tutors that contain the solution are invaluable.

You might learn a bit by having someone do all the work for you and fix your file before handing it back and looking at what they did, but you'd learna lot more by receving training first hand.

This might vary from case to case, and also is person dependent, IMO.

-Ingvar

Guest dataflow

Posting the scene files no, but some people did try and give some thoughts on to how he could solve it or point towards resources where he could learn more about this part of dynamics he is delving into (Hello Luxx, FXPHD, Cinivercity, etc).

I myself can't upload anything because I don't have Studio.

but the point is he did try to do what people suggested and couldnt get a result and even posted a sample file showing his results.

at which point someone that claimed to know how to do it should have given "clear" instructions on what was wrong and how to fix it.

OK, ingvarai, I don't know what your day looks like, but I plan to give this my full attention today and plan to upload a file by midnight tonight (my time). If you have the time, why don't you do the same and we'll see if we can solve the riddle. I will be using weight maps and I will share one other bit of info I had forgotten from the Clapham tutorial (this is why it is so important to watch these tutorials yourself, because my memory sucks) and that is, dynamics is figured on real world coordinates, so if that cylinder is 200 centimeters high, that means it's over 6 feet high (I think that's right) and the cloth is the size of a bed sheet! I will be working smaller. I also think baramdo gave a very important clue about using the filet cap to provide more geometry for C4D to calculate its simulation. I had forgotten that Clapham had also used a bit of rounding on the cross bars that held the seat material. (Must mind the details!) Should help some of that nasty alien folding business. And I know that Clapham didn't have a ton of divisions in the cloth (which baramdo also mentioned), but the material on the chair did not have to sustain the kind of dynamics this does.

Who knows, maybe something like this could become a new department at the Cafe–the "3DKiwi Teaser of the Month," where someone posts a video, like baramdo did, gives a couple of clues as to how it was done, such as "created with softbody dynamics, completely dynamic, no cloth" and people try to figure out how he did it, within a time frame, of course, and then they must upload a file where it actually works!

Just a thought!

OK, back to the cloth on a stick!

Oh, and of course anyone else who is a bit masochistic and wants to get on the "cloth on a stick" bandwagon and upload their solution, that would be awesome. maybe baramdo will even give us feedback and tell us if anyone is even close!

all the best!

• Topic Author
  • OK, ingvarai, I don't know what your day looks like

I am 6 hours ahead of you! I will try to experiment a little this evening. I am just happy that you want to cooperate with me to find out about this! When all this is said, I want to repeat what I wrote earlier in this therad: I guess the dymaics motor C4D is using (I think it is "bullet" engine) already has this built in, and that MAXON for some reason not has implemented it. I would not be surprised to find a new tag in the next version, a "glue" tag, corresponding to the belt tag for cloths. I have not forgotten that MAXON Support says that it "won't work". Well, it will work, but alas - with a lot of efforts only. It should definitely not have to be like this, when we see how easy it is for the cloth to fe attached in a realistic way. I think Carrara got it right from the beginning. All in my humble opinion, of course.

> I also think baramdo gave a very important clue about using the filet

> cap to provide more geometry for C4D to calculate its simulation

I immediately tried this having read his post, but I saw no change. His other advice, to reduce the number of segments, was very good, much easier to see what goes on.

> Who knows, maybe something like this could become a new

> department at the Cafe

Good idea!

> Oh, and of course anyone else who is a bit masochistic and

> wants to get on the "cloth on a stick" bandwagon

lol :-))) Full support from me :-))

-Ingvar

You guys are making my day!

One more thing that helped the softboy; It is a balance of subdivisions and the direction your polys are flowing in. You can't really just throw the plane onto the stick. The area that is supposed to be stuck to the stick should be modeled around it. I pulled in the points to be close to, but not 100% on the cylinder/stick objects. That way you get the area to look more natural. Using softbodies in this way, i.e. to simulate cloth-like objects, you also need to think about modeling and poly flow a bit. That is another reason I haven't posted a scene file. This really needs a tutorial to show the why as much as the how.

I know C4D is an expensive investment, I bought in at 10.5 BodyPaint and eventually switched to C4D prime and bought modules all the way to a studio version. That is why I mentioned Cineversity. It is also an investment. Even the tutorials for older versions give information that can be used for new tools. It is a good resource, expensive at first but good.

90% of the time I use C4D I crack open the help file. There is so much in this program that I have to go back and forth to remind myself of stuff I learned, but can't quite remember. Make that feature of C4D your friend. I can't count how many times I've been in AE and cursed because I went to right click and open the help for something and it isn't there.

That's great, baramdo, thanks for the great tip! I also belong to Cineversity, as well as lynda.com and i spend a lot of time over at greyscale gorilla's blog and youtube with MAXON's youtube site. I also purchase a lot of tuts which is great because i can watch them in the car (while my friend is driving, of course) on roadtirps. I am trying to get up to speed with this software, having only been using it less than two years, and some of that time was spent hiking the AT and learning Motion and Final Cut.

But there are so many resources available, compared to when I was learning photoshop 15 years ago and could only find 3 one-day seminars at a community college, and that only covered the very basics of PS. Now, there are so many resources for learning this involved and sophisticated software!

It's kind of funny. I just saw "Men in Black 3" last night, and "Battleship" last week, and the CG was off the wall crazy awesome…and I am still trying to attach cloth to a stick!

It's all about perspective!