Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ingvarai

How Can I Make This In C4D? How To Attach Cloth To Cubes?

may not be by 6:00 pm afterall, as I will probably not be back by then, and I still have to render. I had to put materials and stuff just cause baramdo made his look so good (not that mine looks good, but it's not just that nasty default gray)…then I have to upload to my cheapy free vimeo account which could take a bit…but it will be up before midnight as promised!

https://vimeo.com/43078755

OK Ingvar, here is the video link as promised (still don't know how to embed it here_bummer) complete with moving stick, dropping clones, and checkered spheres bombarding the soft-body material at a wicked speed of 250 cm per second! Also attached is the scene file. Hope you are making out all right with yours and I look forward to seeing it in the morning. Would love to hear from baramdo as well on this one, to let me know how I did!

It's been fun.

All the best!

Oh, ingvar, when you download my file I would suggest baking the dynamics cache, which should end up being about 50 mbs, or it may be slow to play. It was too big to upload with the cache.

And I loved your mass map solution! Very cool.

• Topic Author
  • Got it working!!

Hoorayyy :-))))

I finally got something that works. It is a little rough around the edges, but not much noticeable. I managed to "silence" the part part of the softbody that connects to the stick. Before, it was flipping and flapping around like mad. I "stiffened" it by using lots of vertices (subdividing) this area. You can see for yourself, the project file is attached. It is MUCH more work than I appreciate. But yesterday I found out something really important: As long as nothing moves, I can "attach" the softbody just by using a mass map. THAT one is a fast solution, no hassle at all!

Watch my video, you will see that the attachment point flatters a little when it is turned upside down, at the very end of the animation, but I guess that it can easily be fixed if one ever needs it..

@airbusch

You vide looks great! You have succeeded! Unfortunately I cannot open your project file, can you attach it once more, without zipping it?

In this thread I have learned a few things:

* People here in this forum are not so bad after all :)

* If pays to not give up. MAXON support can impossibly have used much time to answer my mail, when they said it is not doable. It obviously is.

* Cinema 4D is VERY POWERFUL.

In fact, I think I start to like it! ;)

I am yet not into rendering in C4D, like I am in Carrara, so still my videos rendered in C4D are more basic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXNvM3c3s9E

-Ingvar

ingvar, it looks awesome!! Nice job, and I learned a bunch too! my scene file is attached without zip.

All the best, my friend!

(i still wish I could get these %^$*#@*^ videos to embed like yours!)

Ingvarai, I like the excitment in your post that you finally got something that you are happy with.

Here is my last post for this. I will say the dynamics aren't a perfect system yet in C4D. They are good however. And they do take some using and experimenting with.

[media=]

• Topic Author
  • Yes, it is time to round up this lengthy thread! I have learned a lot, and want to thank all of you who contributed.

@airbusch

I now have loaded your project and it has lots of "facilities" unknown to me, I need to study it before I understand all of it. It is very interesting to see what others do, because most of us probably have our personal touch to our projects. I hope I can share projects with others in this forum in the future too!

@baramdo

Dynamics may not be perfect in C4D, but OTH what is there, is very good. Take a look at my new video here below, it is really impressing that C4D can calculate all this, so that it looks and behaves so natural. And I got a new idea for a detail in one of my projects, watching your video.

I started this thread with video samples of animations made in Carrara. One of them, a cloth held by four sticks, is far more easy to make in C4D than one can believe. As a matter of fact, you do not need connectors at all, as I wrote in my post yesterday. All needed is one map of the points you want to be "soft", use this as the Mass Map for the Softbody, and you are good to go.

This video demonstrates this technique. The project for this animation is attached to this post.

Happy Cinema! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xinoVEuIdfI

-Ingvar