Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aneirin

Growing Roots With Thinking Particles

• Topic Author
  • I'm trying to make an animation of roots growing and branching to form letters. probably biting off more than i can chew here but whatever, that's always the best way to learn things.

I've attached my scene so far which is kind of working but still a long way off what i want. I have one particle following a spline which emits particles which then divide indefinitely and collide with the inside of the letter. then there's a tracer and sweep nurbs to make it visible.

there are a few things i haven't been able to figure out, any help with any of these would be much appreciated:

i'm using the follow spline preset, but I want it to only loosely follow the spline and still be affected by wind turbulence. at the moment it works, but doesn't deal with the corners very well. also is it possible to follow a branching spline? e.g for the letter Y. I'm thinking maybe i need to use some other method of directing them

PGetData sends position data to the emitter but not alignment? i'd like them to branch off smoothly as it grows.

particles need to stop dividing when the area around them is full. the whole letter needs to be filled evenly.

I'd like the particles to follow the inside faces of the letter, especially in the corners. the surface parameter in PDeflector doesn't seem to be working. think how roots look if you pull a plant out of a pot

the stems need expand and get thicker as they grow, but doing this with a sweep nurbs means the start and end of each stem don't match up. is there any other way of doing it? the surface needs to be pretty much perfect as the camera will be following the growth close up before pulling out to reveal the whole letter.

thank you very much!

roots01.c4d

Fun problem - have a play with this scene file and see if it gives you any ideas. I've used some thinking particle presets to come up with something that looks pretty interesting. Fine tuning the animation and getting particular density around the edges may be problematic, but it does come up with some nice results.

Also, if you want some branches, use spawning emitters and set them to emit once the speed of the parent particle is less than a certain amount. So, a branch particle emits, slows down as it moves away from the central core, then another branch spawns shortly thereafter.

vines_test.c4d

• Topic Author
  • thanks, that's very helpful. looks like i need to figure out spawning emitters then!

any ideas about the sweep nurbs problem?

Hmm there's probably a neater solution but I don't know what it is, I would play with having the curve profile of the sweep nurbs have a taper at both ends, so it starts at 0, quickly scales up to 1, then tapers slowly back to 0 at the end tip. There must be a better way of doing it though..

• Topic Author
  • ok so it's all working pretty well now but I have a new problem that I could do with some help with.

I have baked my particles using matrix objects and cloners, but the tracer is now connecting some of them when it should just be tracing their paths (it was working fine before i baked it). it seems to only be happening when new particles are spawned.

any ideas?

post-69569-0-14973800-1337689209_thumb.p

• Topic Author
  • all sorted.

thinking particles is now officially my favourite thing in the whole world : )

post-69569-0-92618600-1337878361_thumb.j

thinking particles is now officially my favourite thing in the whole world : )

Bravo :)