Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aneirin

Emit Particles From Animated Boolean Surface?

• Topic Author
  • hi, I'm using a boolean to slowly reveal some text and I want to emit particles from the edge as it goes along. this has got me pretty much stumped...

I guess I could make an editable copy for every frame of the animation and then keyframe the emitter, but that would be time consuming and dirty.

anyone got any better ideas?

Guest Endre

Hello

Try making a slice of the boolean animation that runns paralell to your main animation. You need to bool the already booled animation with the same object that is revealing the whole thing but this time you invert it. Drop a Xpresso tag ona null an parrent his out position to the in postion of every revealing object. Ths way you only animate one parameter that drives the rest. After that I think you can pronunce the slice as an emmiter in TP but check that because I'm not sure about that.

Cheers

Tried to do that with X-particles - just a 5 minutes setup

As you said you want emission from the edge I simply took contour spline as an emitter. Not sure what you are after, just some playing around what can be done:

after traveling straigt a distance between 40 and 80 cm I made particles fall down and changed every 4th to vis light, shortening light particle´s life compared to rest of particles.

I´ve choosen sprites for visualisation, however if you like dust, make particles TP and use pyroluster on the TP geometry ...

http://www.p.maicats.de/textreveal.mov

I would make a copy of your setup and use the collision node in xpresso in order to write the intersecting polygons into selection tags and emit from them. Here's a quick hardware render for a proof of concept:

ParticleEmitOnEdge.mov

Guest douwe

I would make a copy of your setup and use the collision node in xpresso in order to write the intersecting polygons into selection tags and emit from them. Here's a quick hardware render for a proof of concept:

Ye, that would work. Looks nice too, derya.

Now, would you really need to make a copy of the setup ?

I'm not behind a c4d-machine here, but I would expect the Boole Object not to interfere with the Collision node at all (since both Polygon Objects internally just still exist), right ?

correct - tried that thing and it´s working fine using the objects underneath the boole

Http://www.p.maicats.de/Textlm2.mov

• Topic Author
  • that looks very promising, thanks! I wasn't aware of the collision node, I'll have to have a play with that.

could this be used to emit from the surface of the boolean too?

Ye, that would work. Looks nice too, derya.

Now, would you really need to make a copy of the setup ?

I'm not behind a c4d-machine here, but I would expect the Boole Object not to interfere with the Collision node at all (since both Polygon Objects internally just still exist), right ?

Yeah, that's absolutely right. But only as long as the geometry underneath the Boole Object isn't parametric :-)