Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nani

Cinema 4D Transformer Tutorials

• Topic Author
  • Hey guys,

i am kinda new to animation and i was wondering if there are any tutorials on doing transformer animations in cinema 4d. I don't want it using particles but rather it should be chunky like the transformers movie one( like a watch transforming into a small robot with parts of watch still on the robot)

Cheers

CG

I was interested in the same thing a few months ago and bought the tutorial on cinema4dtutorial.net covering this. I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT buy this. I've bought many tutorials in the past that I've been disappointed with but I've always chalked it up either to my inexperience or sometimes being more experienced than the author, so I don't normally want to put down someone's efforts. However, although this guy may be able to create a cool animation himself, he doesn't do a good job at all of transferring that knowledge and this was a complete waste of good money. And quite honestly, what he does explain isn't much knowledge and technique but more of a hack that doesn't really stand up to production demands.

However, digital tutors has a series that covers this and does a decent job. They use a number of different software packages for the process but the overall techniques should be transferable to c4d.

Good luck!

Interesting topic for training ;)

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • I was interested in the same thing a few months ago and bought the tutorial on cinema4dtutorial.net covering this. I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT buy this.

I was planning to buy but thanks for the heads up. I am frustrated by the fact that there are many i mean literally many training courses for 3ds but very few for cinema 4d. Sometimes i still think that the situation would have been different(good different of course) had i looked at a 3ds max tutorial before cinema 4d.

Interesting topic for training ;)

Is vertex pusher gonna do this?

@Jason well, you should really check out Digital Tutors, in fact even if they do the modeling in Maya and 3ds max, honestly the tools and the approach is really kind of the same in Cinema 4d. For the rigging part, if you follow some Vertex Pusher training, that should be peace of cake, same comment for Bodypaint and 3d kiwi tutorial (DT used Mari)

The more difficult in my opinion is to think of the design and how to articulate mecanically the transformation...

@Hrvoje,I'm curious to know how would you approach the rigging, manually or with Cmotion and character tool?

Cheers

Regis

@Regis

This would be manual all the way :)

It would require quite elaborate setup involving a lot of tools in Cinema 4D - one of them which would be very useful here is Mograph.

@jason

Unfortunately not at this moment, although it seems like a very interesting topic for training since it would utilize many aspects of Cinema 4D.

The issue is, it would be complex and advanced and would require that the viewer is already well versed into CA tools, Mograph and Xpresso. I do tend to avoid very complex setups for those reasons. For example, in my Vol.4 I build an animated slinky with Mograph, and although many people simply loved the lesson, it was difficult for many to follow comfortably. Same goes for my Project 2 where I rig a human from scratch. It is very advanced and requires basic rigging knowledge, and many people learned things from youtube or similar "fishy" sources where they easily pick up wrong or partial information which limits them later.

Main goal of any training, in my opinion, should be to present methods, techniques, fundamental concepts and principles, and not to showcase ones capabilities as they often do...

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

Hi this is transformation tutorial http://www.cinema4dtutorial.net/?p=701 This website always has the coolest Cinema 4d tutorial. However, may need to pay to watch it, but I feel it is worth it.