Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WShawn

Creating Random Rotation For Tp Sprites?

• Topic Author
  • I initially posted this in the Thinking Particles forum, but after 20 views with no replies maybe this question is more suited to this newbie forum.

I'm following this basic procedure to create single-polygon sprites using thinking particles:

http://www.peranders.com/tutorials/tutorials.php

I'm using a TP Surface Emitter and the PAlignment setup in the tutorial to make my flat sprites always face the camera. Now I want to add random z-rotation to those sprites (while all still facing the camera), but I can't figure out how to do that.

I've been playing with inserting a PSpin mode into the mix to create that randomness, but I've had no luck getting it to work. I probably need another PPass or such, but I don't know how to configure that. I've probably relied too much on the TP presets, so I'm weak when it comes to building stuff from scratch. I'm going through Cineversity but have yet to find a tutorial that helps much.

I've attached a distilled scene file.

You can use the Z Rotation in the PAlignment node to rotate all of the particles globally, but I want a different Z Rotation randomly applied to the particles. If I change the variation the sprites no longer face the camera. Does it take two steps, one to make the sprites face the camera and a second node (like PSpin) to add a random rotation to the z axis?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall

Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

SpritesDemo.zip

Guest JimW

Here, check this file out.

If you select the pAlignment node, you can animate the Z-axis rotation over time.

Hope it helps.

*edit - sorry, I forgot you were looking for some variation on the Z spin. This might not work for you.

Jim

TP-spin face camera.c4d