Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vmedium

Spline Reveal

• Topic Author
  • I'm working on an animated reveal of a typographical piece.

1) I tried using spline masks, I can't seem to use a spline mask IN a spline mask though (for instance using a subtraction AB and then using another spline mask that is unioned for the subtracing part, allowing me to use multiple shapes to reveal the lines)

2) The most complex part (im assuming, due to doing things like this in after effects) would be the overlapping section and making sure that was perfect and not revealing other edges

3) I can't figure out how to use soft select on a vertex in the spline itself, as I'd like this shape to have some tilt to it so it wasn't perfectly flush, and the top part of the loop was tucked behind it a little bit.

4) I know how to use a simple spline mask with two simple shapes, and then extrude nurbs, that is no problem, the problem lies in this longer overlapping curve.

5) I'm not sure if there is a way to animate a spline vertex by vertex to reveal this as I've never done that in cinema, but that would bring me back to 2 and making that part perfect

6) I'm not sure if there is a way to use a single stroke and give that a thickness and some sort of boolean to accomplish this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm just looking for someone with more experience to point me in the right direction so I don't waste a bunch of time like I have already.

Thanks!

vmedium

Complaining_C_Isolated_v2.c4d

Could you specify the exact effect you are looking for? What should happen and how the spline should be revealed? :)

Cheers

I think it would be revealed as if being written by hand. I would use a single path spline and with a simple profile spline with a SweepNurbs object and animate the growth. To shape the Sweep you would spend some time with its scale spline graph.

3DKiwi

Oh, that :)

MoSpline could also work.

Cheers

• Topic Author
  • Yes the effect would be handwritten... it would start from the bottom of the curve.

" I would use a single path spline and with a simple profile spline with a SweepNurbs object and animate the growth. To shape the Sweep you would spend some time with its scale spline graph."

So a single path, some sort of profile spline, sweep it... and then use a boolean? I also see how the scale spline graph would be used to perfect it.

I don't see how MoSpline would work though, but I have very little experience with that.

Does anyone have an answer to 3? Soft Selecting points on a spline? Or is that not possible?

Thanks,

vmedium

MoSpline is awesome :)

You would have to combine your paths into single one and adjust point sequences, since that will determine from where the spline will be "drawn".

Here is a simple example of your paths collapsed into one spline and then used as a driver for MoSpline. Of course, you can use effectors and forces also along other options - that's were real fun starts ;)

Complaining_C_Isolated_v2_Mospline_quickie.zip

Cheers

Here's my take on it. With a bit more fine tuning of point positions on the path spline and then on the SweepNurbs spline graph I reckon it would very closely match the original spline.

3DKiwi

You already have the two sides of it.

Split it in two splines (tip to tip)

and sweep using both split parts,

one as spline and the other as rail.

I.e. the SweepNURB lets you have three

objects under it, the profile the spline

and the rail.

The splinewarp have a Rail slot.

Cheers

Lennart

Attached an example.

Cheers

Lennart

sweepC.c4d.zip

• Topic Author
  • here is the render so far. So you can see the the 'mospline' method will not work for this execution. Additionally the rails concept is very interesting, and I love the abilities it affords you. I think 3D Kiwi's method is the most realistic for the effect I am going for here and so I'll continue on with that.

3D Kiwi, can you quickly explain what is happening in the expresso tag? Also why is the model completely white when I select it, does that mean it's just super dense polys or am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

Thank you all for your input, I've learned a great deal. I'll come back and post what I come up with, probably with more questions :)

vmedium

edit: sorry about the image link, I finally found the 'use full editor' to attach my file.

post-123880-0-40659500-1346862880_thumb.