Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest CilfrewBoyo

Need Help Modelling/sculpting On C4D R13

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • Hi, I'm Simon and I'm a newbie to C4D Cafe. Need some help in learning how to model/sculpt objects in C4D R13 Studio. I've been searching YouTube for tutorials for a while now and I can't seem to get anywhere. The only tutorials I can find are for different versions of C4D and they don't work with R13. Is there somewhere I can find some tutorials/help specifically for R13? This is driving me nuts now as I've started following several tutorials but always have to end them as I get stuck when I reach some part of the tutorial that is different in R13. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cliff

First you will find many excellent tutorials on this site which cover many aspects of basic modelling. They certainly should be given an examination.

However, if you are looking for a series just on modelling then, in my opinion, these are outstanding. They are skill orientated. That means the instructor does not show you how to build a particular object, he takes you through a variety of basic modelling skills.

Volume 1 is centred on modelling. I bought the complete set, and I have never regretted it. As I need practice on a particular skill I always refer back to these movies.

https://www.vertex-pusher.com

One point about volume one is that the sound is a bit low. May need to boost your sound level.

You might want to create a Word document and insert a Table in which you take notes as you go through each video. That way you have a very comprehensive set of notes. You are taken through so many techniques it is very easy to forget what you have been taught.

Hope this is of help.

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • I looked at the teaser and the version of Cinema 4D used in the tutorials in the link you sent me isn't R13, so it will be very difficult to follow. This is the problem I've been having. I need tutorials specifically for R13.

You will be able to follow along a tutorial that is made in any version R13 or older. R13 studio doesnt support sculpting.

This is new to R14. I can only imagine that tutorials made in R14 should be hard for you to follow...and there aint many

seeing as its only the demo thats been released as yet.

In R13 Studio you have more features than the majority of versions. They may be in a different place, or renamed, but

they are all there. Can you give us an example of some that you are having trouble with?

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • Hi, thanks for replying. I've been able to follow some tutorials, but some are not so easy to follow because of the difference in versions. Ie. I tried following a tutorial to model an XBox Pad (link below). Everything worked fine until he started to model. He went into "line mode", which I couldn't find. I think he may have meant 'edge mode'? Though even before he reached that part something didn't work right for me. He dropped a cube into a Symmetry array object, then dropped that into a Hypernurbs. This worked fine, but when I clicked to make it editable everything changed. The symmetry object disappeared from the right and when I tried to follow what he was doing it just wouldn't work the same way at all. There's been a few times where I've had to stop following tutorials because things just don't work in the same way on R13.

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • Ah hold on, I just got past the obstacle in the XBox Pad tutorial. Think it may have something to do with the fact that when I dropped the symmetry object into the hypernurbs object it looked fine straight away in mine, whereas in the tutorial he had to mess around with it to get it to look symmetrical. So I started again and did what he did even though mine looked symmetrical already and it seems to have worked. Thanks for your help anyway :-)

Sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner.

hmmm I don't understand how it would have looked fine. I mean you would have needed to delete the polygons

where the two halves meet. If I can offer some advice (and this is just from what I've seen and my opinion)....

the problem with many of the tuts you find on youtube, is that they are made by people who dont really know

what they are doing. You will find many are just kids who have stolen the software, watched a couple of tuts

themselves and think they are now ready to start teaching others. Try and stay away from the tuts like this for

your own good (and on principal).

Im not saying this guy has done that, but try and stick with the official channels like MAXON's. Invest in some proper

training (like the ones here and the vertex pusher as mentioned above). Digital tutors also have quite a few tuts done

in R13 now I believe.

If you are ever stuck on anything, the guys here are always super helpful too :smile:

Modelling an X-Box controller is not something I would suggest a new user does to begin with. You need something easier plus look out for tutorials by people who are good at explaining things. Cough, cough, I would suggest my own and fellow Cafe admin Hsrdelic who does the excellent Vertex Pusher tutorials. Also highly recommended is the 3DVerve R13 tutorial. Do all of that and you'll have a good ground in C4D.

3DKiwi

I agree with Nigel.. You have to learn how to walk before you can run.. If you start such hard to model object without any decent knowledge of C4D you will get frustrated in no time..

Hi, thanks for replying. I've been able to follow some tutorials, but some are not so easy to follow because of the difference in versions. Ie. I tried following a tutorial to model an XBox Pad (link below). Everything worked fine until he started to model. He went into "line mode", which I couldn't find. I think he may have meant 'edge mode'? Though even before he reached that part something didn't work right for me. He dropped a cube into a Symmetry array object, then dropped that into a Hypernurbs. This worked fine, but when I clicked to make it editable everything changed. The symmetry object disappeared from the right and when I tried to follow what he was doing it just wouldn't work the same way at all. There's been a few times where I've had to stop following tutorials because things just don't work in the same way on R13.

This is because you don't have the needed base knowledge.

Any tutorial made with a previous version of C4D should be no problem to follow with a newer version if you know how to work with the most common tools within C4D..

Just my 2cents.

Peace,

Rich_Art. :wackywink:

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • Hi, thanks for all your replies. Will definitely take a look at the tutorials that were suggested. I think I'm starting to suss it out a bit now. So far I've modelled the XBox Pad controller main body and I've added the thumb control. I'm not actually a complete newbie to C4D but I'm a newbie to modelling and to internet forums too. Been meaning to join one for a while. I think the XBox Pad tutorial is about right for where I am at the moment. I've messed around with text for a while and now feel it's time to start modelling my own objects. I've included a link for you to see the sort of level I am at with C4D. Thanks again and I look forward to learning more from you all in the future :-)

@CilfrewBoyo - Sounds like you had the Symmetry object selected when you hit Make Editable. This creates one object from your Symmetry and deletes it. Also agree that if you're a beginner, that's a challenging model to start with, however, there's no reason you couldn't follow it in your version.

Don't forget about the great tutorials that MAXON includes with the package as well. Not sure if it's a separate download from MAXON, but if you bring up Help and go to most basic root level "Manual" you'll see extensive tutorials on all the major areas of the program. Good luck.

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • Hi again, I'm now on part 2 of the XBox Pad tutorial and have hit another barrier. At around 12 to 13 mins in he begins to model the small buttons on the edge of the pad. To do this he firstly goes into Polygon mode and selects a couple of polygons. However, in my version the polygons are much too big when selected and I don't know how to make the selections smaller. There are smaller squares inside the selections but I can't select them. Is there any way I can select smaller areas within the object? Thanks.